• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NRA: Put Armed Officers In Every School.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In other news, the American Restaurant Association wants to put fast food outlets in every school to solve the childhood obesity problem *
The nation’s largest gun-rights lobby called Friday for armed police officers to be posted in every American school to stop the next killer “waiting in the wings.”
source

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," defiant chief Wayne LaPierre says, blaming Hollywood, media and more for American culture of violence.
source
homer_facepalm.jpg

* Stolen from Fark

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you consider this far-fetched. We have armed officers in schools here already. They're called SROs (School Resource Officers) and they are on-duty deputies and police officers. Until you come up with fool-proof plan to keep all the crazies at bay, I think having an armed officer protecting the kids in schools would be a no-brainer.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Do you consider this far-fetched. We have armed officers in schools here already. They're called SROs (School Resource Officers) and they are on-duty deputies and police officers. Until you come up with fool-proof plan to keep all the crazies at bay, I think having an armed officer protecting the kids in schools would be a no-brainer.
At a cost of $5,000,000,000 in just salaries alone? I don't think so. And where is "here"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At a cost of $5,000,000,000 in just salaries alone? I don't think so. And where is "here"?
I'd wager that same amount of money would do more good by providing mental health
services, eg, addressing violent crazies before they act, cutting down on drunk driving.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So the Republicans block all attempts to increase education funding and teacher salaries, but are OK with a few billion for security guards?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
sounds like a good idea, if it's affordable (which I doubt it would be)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So the Republicans block all attempts to increase education funding and teacher salaries, but are OK with a few billion for security guards?

Not a problem. The money for the guards can come from school meals.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So what are you saying? Do nothing and hope we weed out the nut jobs before we lose another child?

Did I say that? Let me check...

There was an armed guard at Columbine.

Nope.

I support comprehensive and common sense gun control laws aimed at reducing the likelihood of another child being senselessly murdered.
Such as the '96 law enacted in Australia that has reduced firearms deaths by 57%, with no mass murders since the law was enacted.

dust1n

Zindīq
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," defiant chief Wayne LaPierre says, blaming Hollywood, media and more for American culture of violence.
source

Anyone else having trouble with their irony meter? Mine seems to be off the charts.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
There are more options besides "do nothing" and "put guns in schools".

Perhaps one thing we could do is make it illegal for news outlets to post the names and pictures of the wack jobs who commit mass murder of any kind. If they know they are not going to be imortalized- or even publically recognized -perhaps it would eliminate a key insentive. I don't know what goes through the minds of these shells of humans walking around without a shred of human empathy- but if they are looking to draw attention to themselves, to become some imortalized villian, or to "show them" -we should not allow such insentives to exist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[/indent]Anyone else having trouble with their irony meter? Mine seems to be off the charts.
Irony abounds. Those who decry the existence of armed guards at schools in general will make an exception for their own....
Gregory Mocks LaPierre for Proposing Armed Guards, but Sends Kids to High-Security School | The Weekly Standard
Those Quakers must be a violence prone bunch if they need 11 armed guards (& looking to expand) for the school.
But apparently schools with an even greater violence problem should be denied such protection.

It will also be interesting to see how DC authorities handle Gregory's possession of an illegal magazine.
By Showing Ammo Magazine On NBC, Did David Gregory Break The Law? : The Two-Way : NPR

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yeah, I find most things that polical lobby groups say to be inane and transparent. Particularly the ones with irrational agendas.