• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

now interested in the paranormal

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I thought you'd like to know. I've been taking notes on what I'd teach, and to be honest, it's been a bit overwhelming because there's so much to cover.
But you've done teaching before? When you were an evangelist?

joe1776

I don't know why you would want to go there.

I mean true, the unexplained and mysterious is very interesting , but to choose a path of pseudoscience isn't recommended.

I'd rather explore such things with actual real science and rationality coupled with some education on the various fields of the sciences where I think a lot of the weirdness can be explained away and much more will be opened up for further exploration. I'm quite sure you will not lose any of the all and wonder at The unexplained and mysterious that is attributed with the Paranormal.

But that all depends upon if you want to just have fun , or are serious about exploring what is truly an unknown and unexplained universe out there with the proven methodologies out there at your disposal.

Either way, try and have fun and enjoy yourself in your endeavors on whatever method you choose to explore the Paranormal.
Forgive me, Amigo, but you don't know what you're talking about. The mere fact that you haven't had an experience with the paranormal is not evidence that such experiences don't exist, nor is the fact that most of the people claiming to have such powers are phony.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Forgive me, Amigo, but you don't know what you're talking about. The mere fact that you haven't had an experience with the paranormal is not evidence that such experiences don't exist, nor is the fact that most of the people claiming to have such powers are phony.
That's because my standards for believability is much higher.

joe1776

That's because my standards for believability is much higher

My standard for believability in the paranormal is the evidence of one surprising experience with telepathy and another with precognition. I can't replicate those experiences, so I can't prove them to you.

However, the fact that you haven't had such experiences is not evidence that they don't happen to others. Your standard for believability is no personal experience. That's not a high standard.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My standard for believability in the paranormal is the evidence of one surprising experience with telepathy and another with precognition. I can't replicate those experiences, so I can't prove them to you.

However, the fact that you haven't had such experiences is not evidence that they don't happen to others. Your standard for believability is no personal experience. That's not a high standard.
I rest my case on my higher standards of believability.

I have no experiences of the paranormal simply because there is no paranormal that would lead me to think otherwise.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I find the paranormal interesting, but still not convincing.
I am one that has been interested in the paranormal for decades. There is a wide variety of things that we lump under the term 'paranormal'. I have heard more very compelling examples than I can count. Given the normal range of human honesty and competency the possibility that every story I've heard ultimately has just a normal explanation has approached zero to the point that I will just call it zero.

I had a couple non-dramatic ones myself like a disappearing/reappearing object with some significant symbolic meaning.

At this point the really interesting question for me is how this reality works in a way that allows for these things to be real. Perhaps this question seems so daunting that many have built too high a wall against belief.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
So, if the paranormal exists, such experiences would surely have happened to you? Okay.

Speaking from my experience interacting with skeptics over the years, I believe that seeing is believing in regards to the paranormal, so I don't spend any time trying to convince them to believe in it as I do. I don't feel like it is my responsibility to convince them. If they change their mind and believe, then that's okay with me, and if they don't, then that's okay with me too. In my opinion, people should decide for themselves whether to believe or not. To be honest, it makes no difference to me because their disbelief has no bearing on my belief in the paranormal or my lifetime of experience with it. I was six years old when I had my first experience, and I am fifty years old now. So, I can honestly say that their skepticism won't change my mind. I am, however, relieved to know that believing in the paranormal (ghosts, hauntings, UFOs, and crytids) is more widely accepted today than it was when I was a child and young adult. I don't want to derail the discussion, so I'll link to a previous post in which I mentioned some statistics about this trend. "What's after death?"