• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

now interested in the paranormal

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have recently ditched my previous belief in God as a kind of concerned personal being and am currently developing a new God-concept for myself

A part of this has involved ditching various ideas and taking up new ones

Because of this I have become interested in the type of thing that people generally call "The Paranormal"

I am entirely new to this field and up until now had always outright dismissed it as madness and superstition

I'm looking for resources to help me understand "The Paranormal" in a systematic and critical way that is grounded in reason

I'm wanting to approach it with an open yet discerning mind......

Could I please have recommendations for websites, books, YouTube videos etc. that may be of help?

I'm wanting to see if there's anything of value for me that might help me with what I'm going through right now spiritually

I was going to approach @Sgt. Pepper about this but she does not allow private messages and it is not possible to write on her profile!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I have recently ditched my previous belief in God as a kind of concerned personal being and am currently developing a new God-concept for myself

Because of this I have become interested in the type of thing that people generally call "The Paranormal"

I am entirely new to this field and up until now had always outright dismissed it as madness and superstition

I'm looking for resources to help me understand "The Paranormal" in a systematic and critical way that is grounded in reason

Could I please have recommendations for websites, books, YouTube videos etc. that may be of help?

I'm wanting to see if there's anything of value for me that might help me with what I'm going through right now spiritually

I was going to approach @Sgt. Pepper about this but she does not allow private messages and it is not possible to write on her profile!

I found Theosophy to have the best explanations towards making sense of it all. Although for me it was a slow learning process that I am extremely happy I took as modern monotheistic religions have their issues. But atheist-materialism doesn't appear to be the answer either as way too many 'paranormal/spiritual' things still do happen. Theosophy and nondual Hinduism seem to fit best in my opinion.

Frank Goad

I found Theosophy to have the best explanations towards making sense of it all. Although for me it was a slow learning process that I am extremely happy I took as modern monotheistic religions have their issues. But atheist-materialism doesn't appear to be the answer either as way too many 'paranormal/spiritual' things still do happen. Theosophy and nondual Hinduism seem to fit best in my opinion.
You talked about psychic powers that can warp reality thorough jesus.Do you remember were it is?:)

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
@Eddi and @George-ananda,

I tagged you both specifically in this thread because, first, I'm interested in your opinion, and second, I don't want to debate with skeptics. I thought of starting a thread to ask you my questions along with further explanation, but I thought it would trigger an unnecessary discourse with skeptics. I'm simply not interested in their viewpoint at this time. I'm more interested in your opinions and feedback since you are open to believing in the paranormal.

Without further ado...

My question is: What would you most like to learn about if you could attend a comprehensive course on the paranormal (including but not limited to conducting paranormal investigations, psychic mediumship, and/or other parapsychological fields of study)? FYI, the course work would progress from beginner to intermediate to advanced. I'm suggesting a course for people who already believe in the paranormal, regardless of whether they've had a personal paranormal experience or not. It would also include specific guidelines for dealing with any references to religious content that oppose belief in the paranormal, as well as specific guidelines for dealing with skeptics. So if you could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What would you most like to learn about if you could attend a comprehensive course on the paranormal
I would want such a course to relate the study of the paranormal to the various fields of science and philosophy that it relates to

And I would want it to explain the paranormal

It wouldn't be enough for me to learn about say a haunting, I would want to learn what exactly ghosts are, how they work, and about what they can tell us about such things as the mind

I would also want it to address religious issues, but without being religious, if that makes any sense?

Basically I would want such a course to make me more knowledgeable about things other than the paranormal as well as telling me about ghosts etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't know why you would want to go there.

I mean true, the unexplained and mysterious is very interesting , but to choose a path of pseudoscience isn't recommended.

I'd rather explore such things with actual real science and rationality coupled with some education on the various fields of the sciences where I think a lot of the weirdness can be explained away and much more will be opened up for further exploration. I'm quite sure you will not lose any of the all and wonder at The unexplained and mysterious that is attributed with the Paranormal.

But that all depends upon if you want to just have fun , or are serious about exploring what is truly an unknown and unexplained universe out there with the proven methodologies out there at your disposal.

Either way, try and have fun and enjoy yourself in your endeavors on whatever method you choose to explore the Paranormal.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't know why you would want to go there.

I mean true, the unexplained and mysterious is very interesting , but to choose a path of pseudoscience isn't recommended.

I'd rather explore such things with actual real science and rationality coupled with some education on the various fields of the sciences where I think a lot of the weirdness can be explained away and much more will be opened up for further exploration.

But that all depends upon if you want to just have fun , or are serious about exploring what is truly an unknown and unexplained universe out there with the proven methodologies out there at your disposal.
I think it may be a source of insights

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That's really cool, if you do it I hope it all goes well

Thanks. A couple of fellow paranormal investigators just asked me last night if I'd be interested. They informed me that the possibility of a course is being discussed among other paranormal investigators, and they recommended me. They are among the younger generation of paranormal investigators that I mentored and trained in paranormal research and investigation. So I feel honored, and I'm seriously considering teaching the course. It will be an honor.