• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but--maybe we can talk about Spinoza and his concept of God for a while

vulcanlogician

Later in his life, he moved away from anything much resembling monotheism of any type. In modern terms we'd perhaps call him a pantheist.

Fun fact: The first recorded use of the word "pantheism" was used to describe "Spinozism." The word didn't exist until some guy made it up as a word to describe Spinoza's philosophy.

Funny when you think about it, since, to this day, there is debate about whether Spinoza was really a pantheist... or just an atheist. Lol.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Fun fact: The first recorded use of the word "pantheism" was used to describe "Spinozism." The word didn't exist until some guy made it up as a word to describe Spinoza's philosophy.

Funny when you think about it, since, to this day, there is debate about whether Spinoza was really a pantheist... or just an atheist. Lol.
That is funny and interesting. No wonder I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. :) Essence. Sure...lol...Poor thing, that's what I think.

YoursTrue

Excellent point.

If only Spinoza had someone wise like you around to set him straight
lol, I don't think so. Going back some years, I can only say some of my close associates were "way out." And there was no trying to understand them. But some actually believed them. That was before I understood more about the Bible anyway, but they were more strung out than I was, I think. Ah well.

vulcanlogician

lol, I don't think so. Going back some years, I can only say some of my close associates were "way out." And there was no trying to understand them. But some actually believed them. That was before I understood more about the Bible anyway, but they were more strung out than I was, I think. Ah well.

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "way out"? Leaving aside the Bible for a moment (we can certainly get into the Bible later if you'd like), but (imo) something either IS true or it ISN'T true.

If a misguided person thinks something is true, and then he may convince others that it's true... I'd call that inaccuracy or mistakenness on his part. But I wouldn't call it dishonesty.

If I wake up super late, and it's dark out. And I look at my (analog) clock and assume it's 5:30 AM (instead of 5:30 PM --which it actually is-- that doesn't make me a liar if I tell my roommate that it is 5:30 AM. I genuinely think that's what time it is, so far as I can tell. I genuinely think that it's 5:30 AM. Am I lying?

Based on the evidence, it was a reasonable, honest (although incorrect) conclusion. That fact abot human nature makes me much softer concerning religious folk.

Did you ever end up reading Spinoza's preamble in his theological-political tract. It takes little more than five minutes, my guy. And, subject of the thread in mind, I wish you would. Because I'd much rather hear (specifically) why you disagree with Spinoza. Your disagreement with me and others on the forum would be a more meaty conversation if you took 5 minutes out of your life and read them.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "way out"? Leaving aside the Bible for a moment (we can certainly get into the Bible later if you'd like), but (imo) something either IS true or it ISN'T true.

If a misguided person thinks something is true, and then he may convince others that it's true... I'd call that inaccuracy or mistakenness on his part. But I wouldn't call it dishonesty.

If I wake up super late, and it's dark out. And I look at my (analog) clock and assume it's 5:30 AM (instead of 5:30 PM --which it actually is-- that doesn't make me a liar if I tell my roommate that it is 5:30 AM. I genuinely think that's what time it is, so far as I can tell. I genuinely think that it's 5:30 AM.

Based on the evidence, it was a reasonable, honest (although incorrect) conclusion. That fact abot human nature makes me much softer concerning religious folk.

Did you ever end up reading Spinoza's preamble in his theological-political tract. It takes little more than five minutes, my guy. And, subject of the thread in mind, I wish you would. Because I'd much rather hear (specifically) why you disagree with Spinoza. Your disagreement with me and others on the forum would be a more meaty conversation if you took 5 minutes out of your life and read them.
It's hard for me to describe on the internet about my friend. He apparently died of a drug overdose.
But suffice it to say that my friend began a new religion which was rooted in fantastical imaginings, beyond my ken. Even though I was sympathetic with him (did not really know his teachings, but knew he was in another realm of thinking), and at the time I did not know the Bible or God. I'll get back to some of the writings I read of Spinoza. I returned one of the books to the library, but will look at the preamble ASAP.

YoursTrue

If I wake up super late, and it's dark out. And I look at my (analog) clock and assume it's 5:30 AM (instead of 5:30 PM --which it actually is-- that doesn't make me a liar if I tell my roommate that it is 5:30 AM. I genuinely think that's what time it is, so far as I can tell. I genuinely think that it's 5:30 AM. Am I lying?

P.S. Just to let you know, I'm a gal. :)

YoursTrue

Excellent point.
If only Spinoza had someone wise like you around to set him straight!
I changed my mind. But then at the time the community he was born into was not an easy one to buck against if you were part of that community.

vulcanlogician

P.S. Just to let you know, I'm a gal. :)

Oops.

I made assumptions calling you "my guy." Sorry.

But I will (from time to time, even now knowing you're a woman) call you "man." That's just part of my hippie nature.

I say "Hey man [this or that]," even to my personal friends who are obviously women. I do that face-to-face.

"My guy" is a weird thing to hear from me in the first place. Dunno why I said it. It probably had more to do with my flow of prose than me trying to gender you.

If we talk long enough though, I will (eventually) say "man" though... as in "Hey man, I think you got x right/wrong." I hope you can handle that. I promise you I'll never intentionally do it to irritate you.

YoursTrue

That is funny and interesting. No w
Oops.

But I will (from time to time, even now knowing you're a woman) call you "man." That's just part of my hippie nature.

I say "Hey man [this or that]," even to my personal friends who are obviously women. I do that face-to-face.

"My guy" is a weird thing to hear from me in the first place. Dunno why I said it. It probably had more to do with my flow of prose than me trying to gender you.

If we talk long enough though, I will (eventually) say "man" though... as in "Hey man, I think you got x right/wrong." I hope you can handle that. I promise you I'll never intentionally do it to irritate you.
I used to say that (man, that was something) but stopped in general. Now that I know it's ok but a bit offsetting insofar as I am concerned. Otoh, I'm sure I say things that can be jarring to others...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Reminds me of some of the debates around whether Bakunin was an anarchist...lol

vulcanlogician

I love me some Bakunin.

I'm not familiar with the arguments that he is somehow not an anarchist. And, if these arguments hold water... what is he then?

YoursTrue

That is funny and interesting. No w
Oops.

I used to say that (man, that was something) but stopped in general. Now that I know it's ok but a bit offsetting insofar as I am concerned. Otoh, I'm sure I say things that can be jarring to others
Unfinished thought? What was your complete thought?
Uh oh... can't remember.

vulcanlogician

I used to say that (man, that was something) but stopped in general. Now that I know it's ok but a bit offsetting insofar as I am concerned.

I'll make an effort to not call you "man" then. I don't wanna offset you. I would ask for your forgiveness if I say it in the heat of the moment. But I''ll try my best not to do it intentionally.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Based on what I've read plus Einstein's frequent statement of his believing in "Spinoza's God", I'm going with the greater likelihood, imo, with the former.