• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not For The Squeemish

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Additional caution.....the below is about hunting, life, pain & death.

Yesterday, a neighbor notice a deer sitting in my yard, in an area without cover. This was odd, since they typically lie down only where
they're well camouflaged. He took a closer look, & saw the deer had a broken leg. (They fight many a losing battle with cars around here.)
I'm not a hunter (too lazy, & not a fan of blood & guts), so I called a friend who is.

The Codger (his nickname, since he's about 80) came right over, put a couple arrows in the critter, & slashed its throat to end it all quickly.
I was surprised how long after the coup de grace it still reacted physically & vocally.....but still, it was better than a slow death with a
compound fracture in one hind leg. So we loaded the fella up in The Codger's car, & he's now off to be processed into sausage, steaks &
burger meat. I hope to see him again.

I don't know if this will generate any discussion or anything, but it was an interesting day.
Oh...for mods who might wonder, yes...this was all entirely legal.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is he going to share some of the meat with you? Deer sausage and jerky is good stuff.

I just googled "deer bacon". It's an actual thing. Thought you might like to know. ;)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm glad someone was able to end it's suffering quickly... and that it's death won't have been in vain.

Enjoy your sausage.

wa:do

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was living up in the mountains I came across an injured fawn that had been hit and left by a car. That last part, the "left" is what bothers me most. Accidents happen, but when you cause one, you know, stop and check on what you hit? (No doubt some tourist. Never heard of any mountain people that clueless).

I didn't have a cell phone back then so I rode my scooter back to the house and called the animal control unit. Then I went back to where the fawn was to wait with it.

45 freaking minutes went by, no rangers, and take my word for it the fawn was not having a good time (I'll spare you the details). I didn't have a gun, or a big enough knife, or a hammer (see where this is going?). . . only thing I had on my bike were bungee cords. So that's what I used (I'll spare you those details too, thread title not-withstanding).

So I found myself wondering one more time: If you can shoot deer during deer season, and ducks during suck season, and rabbits during rabbit season, how come they don't let you shoot tourists during tourist season?

How is that fair? :shrug:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that killing to spare suffering is a good thing.
Poor darlings. Animals really do have a hard time of life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I found myself wondering one more time: If you can shoot deer during deer season, and ducks during suck season, and rabbits during rabbit season, how come they don't let you shoot tourists during tourist season?
The problem is that word would get around, causing tourist dollars to flee.
And there goes their economy. (It would look like northern MI.)
So it's best to not kill the gravy train.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle

I think they are classified as a "nuisance species"... however, "tourist season" is actually their migration time, so they are protected. :p

wa:do

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Additional caution.....the below is about hunting, life, pain & death.

Yesterday, a neighbor notice a deer sitting in my yard, in an area without cover. This was odd, since they typically lie down only where
they're well camouflaged. He took a closer look, & saw the deer had a broken leg. (They fight many a losing battle with cars around here.)
I'm not a hunter (too lazy, & not a fan of blood & guts), so I called a friend who is.

The Codger (his nickname, since he's about 80) came right over, put a couple arrows in the critter, & slashed its throat to end it all quickly.
I was surprised how long after the coup de grace it still reacted physically & vocally.....but still, it was better than a slow death with a
compound fracture in one hind leg. So we loaded the fella up in The Codger's car, & he's now off to be processed into sausage, steaks &
burger meat. I hope to see him again.

I don't know if this will generate any discussion or anything, but it was an interesting day.
Oh...for mods who might wonder, yes...this was all entirely legal.

I think it was the right thing to do.

dust1n

Zindīq
Is it necessary to shoot a deer with two arrows before slashing the throat? Is that suppose to knock 'em out or something. I honestly have no knowledge of deer anatomy.