• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North American Union

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
With the looming threat of a world war, I propose a joint alliance between Canada, the US, and Mexico in much the same vein as the EU. Providing economic, and military support between the three.

This hegemonic alliance will allow freer trade, as well as a freer flow of people between all three countries.

Our militaries already operate in several training joint exercises, and provide mutual support and aid to one another.

All three countries are Democratic style societies, so our governments aren't completely dissimilar.

This also helps solve our border problem to the south, as Mexico would now cover the role of "southern border patrol/protection", down at Guatemala. It's also a smaller border land area. To protect. Our border to the North with Canada is already more of a soft border with people regularly traveling and working across it.

I say we should push our elected officials to consider this proclamation.

Demand NAU now.

Don't build walls, build bridges.

Edit: NAU is pronounced "now" ;)

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
With the looming threat of a world war, I propose a joint alliance between Canada, the US, and Mexico in much the same vein as the EU. Providing economic, and military support between the three.

This hegemonic alliance will allow freer trade, as well as a freer flow of people between all three countries.

Our militaries already operate in several training joint exercises, and provide mutual support and aid to one another.

All three countries are Democratic style societies, so our governments aren't completely dissimilar.

This also helps solve our border problem to the south, as Mexico would now cover the role of "southern border patrol/protection", down at Panama. It's also a smaller border land area. To protect. Our border to the North with Canada is already more of a soft border with people regularly traveling and working across it.

Demand NAU now.

This is essentially NAFTA plus. I agree, it would be good, though I understand that's been replaced by the weaker USMCA. I wouldn't mind combining militaries with Canada, not sure about Mexico.

Also, Mexico's neighbor to the South is Guatemala, not Panama.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This is essentially NAFTA plus. I agree, it would be good, though I understand that's been replaced by the weaker USMCA. I wouldn't mind combining militaries with Canada, not sure about Mexico.

Geopolitics is also not my strong suit. I'll look up NAFTA and the USMCA. Gotta see what they do compared to my idea.

Heyo

Veteran Member

This also helps solve our border problem to the south, as Mexico would now cover the role of "southern border patrol/protection", down at Panama. It's also a smaller border land area. To protect. Our border to the North with Canada is already more of a soft border with people regularly traveling and working across it.

Demand NAU now.

For military purposes there is already NATO. Although NATO may not exist forever. In fact, I'd suggest the EU should leave NATO entirely. Not being in association with the US would improve the reputation. That's also why I wouldn't recommend Canada or Mexico to join the US in any form. The US is a bully and not liked very much. Stay away from them.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
@Left Coast
According to 2017 Mexico Military Strength, it’s #34 of military strength.

That puts it under Malaysia and the Czech Republic and over Argentina and Norway.

It is modern and adequate for its overall mission - fighting the drug war, search and rescue and national defense. But has no expeditionary forces.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For military purposes there is already NATO. Although NATO may not exist forever. In fact, I'd suggest the EU should leave NATO entirely. Not being in association with the US would improve the reputation. That's also why I wouldn't recommend Canada or Mexico to join the US in any form. The US is a bully and not liked very much. Stay away from them.

Our lesser reputation is half why this alliance would be beneficial. It would show the world again that the US is willing to negotiate, and not just use military might. I think with our withdrawal from Afghanistan anyways, we will be more on the home front at least for a time.

NAU now!

tytlyf

Not Religious
It's called NATO. Canada is already in. Mexico isn't because of their stance on war.
Think of NATO as a group of countries that have committed allegiance to one another. In times of war.
NATO creates a much stronger war machine and hence... deterrent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

This also helps solve our border problem to the south, as Mexico would now cover the role of "southern border patrol/protection", down at Guatemala. It's also a smaller border land area. To protect. Our border to the North with Canada is already more of a soft border with people regularly traveling and working across it.

Demand NAU now.

I agree, but a big part of the United States will not be for it. Probably better to just break up America and let the Left leaning parts of it join with the North American Union, which would also serve to surround the areas of the Conservative States of America.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's called NATO. Canada is already in. Mexico isn't because of their stance on war.
Think of NATO as a group of countries that have committed allegiance to one another. In times of war.
NATO creates a much stronger war machine and hence... deterrent.

I'm also thinking along the lines of freer borders and freer trade throughout. Maybe even a single currency between the three.

It's not just about joint defense. NATO is useless as far as I can tell.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Demand NAU now.

They already tried toying with the idea. It failed.

Remember the Amero?

North American Union - Wikipedia

Heyo

Veteran Member
Maybe we need a new push for it. Times have changed in 15 years.
That push should be preceded by some reformations within the US (and maybe also Canada and Mexico). I'm not against your idea. In fact I think it's a great idea. But at the moment it is a pipe dream. The differences in culture, goals and government are just too big for a union to work. At the moment the US is struggling to keep its own union together.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe we need a new push for it. Times have changed in 15 years.
Something like that would likely involve a constitutional convention if I remember how things went the last time, or Mexico and Canada could just join and become the United States.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Demand NAU now.

It could work, as long as it's not implemented as NAFTA was or other free trade agreements designed to benefit only the wealthy.

The Republican capitalists wanted all the benefits of what they called "free trade," yet they still wanted a severely restricted, militarized border.

Imagine how the EU would have gone if there was a 90-minute wait at each border crossing.

Such an agreement would also require a unified currency and an absolute end to the war on drugs.

Labor laws would also have to be consistent and unified, so the laws regarding minimum wage, collective bargaining, etc. would be the same across the continent (they're not even the same within the U.S. currently, though that will have to change, putting an end to so-called "right to work" states). We shouldn't have free trade with any country which doesn't have the same labor laws and minimum wage.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be great to visit Canuckistan
without having to endure border guards.
**** those nasty people they are.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It could work, as long as it's not implemented as NAFTA was or other free trade agreements designed to benefit only the wealthy.

The Republican capitalists wanted all the benefits of what they called "free trade," yet they still wanted a severely restricted, militarized border.

Imagine how the EU would have gone if there was a 90-minute wait at each border crossing.

Such an agreement would also require a unified currency and an absolute end to the war on drugs.

Labor laws would also have to be consistent and unified, so the laws regarding minimum wage, collective bargaining, etc. would be the same across the continent (they're not even the same within the U.S. currently, though that will have to change, putting an end to so-called "right to work" states). We shouldn't have free trade with any country which doesn't have the same labor laws and minimum wage.

They don't need the exact same labor laws, or even minimum wage.

Min. Wage actually varies across the EU.

Screenshot_2023-02-05-09-36-46-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edit: Mexican labor laws are similar to the US.

"While there are some commonalities, such as the establishment of overtime pay, Mexico's labor laws generally offer different types of protection for workers than the laws in the United States."

As are Canada's.

"Like many American states, in Canada there are mandated overtime rates for hourly workers, a minimum wage, and employment laws governing working conditions, severance, leave of absences, termination notice, and dismissal."