• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nonsensical

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
- Just a creator God as the first cause since a cyclical universe is impossible.
- Not when they are fulfilled. Your assumption is the same one that many scholars use to say that the gospels were written after the Temple destruction in 70AD and that OT prophecies must have been written after the events. Then people say, "look scholars have shown that the OT books were written after the events prophesied" But the people that say that don't realise the circular reasoning that they are involved in where the scholars have just assumed the prophecies were written after the events.
- You say that but agree with me that they are not real Gods.
- No, science as well as in belief of some Hindus, creation of the universe has causes other than an imaginary God. Some Hindus believe in the universe only as an illusion and not as the reality.
- Prophecies exist and are fulfilled only in the belief of the religious (Abrahamics make a lot of brouhaha about them). Science may have guesses but does not have prophecies.
- Yes, I will agree with you if you say that there are no real Gods or Goddesses (whether Hindu or Abrahamic). They are just creations of human imagination. This was clearly mentioned even in the RigVeda some 3,000 years ago.

"The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?"
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Haven't you? Where have you been? What have you been reading after almost 4000 post on RF? You must have seen the evidence.

Nope. Not one single instance of actual objective evidence for any god. Lots of claims, lots of evidence of what people believe, but none that actually support any god(s).
Our brain is said to be the most complex thing around. Our body and Genes are incredibly complex and story and use information. That is evidence of a God.

Not even close. Not only do we have a perfectly good explanation for that complexity, even if we didn't, that would be a mystery, rather than evidence for some specific being that's somebody's idea of god. There would be endless stories we could make up about it (both natural and supernatural) and only a small percentage would involve your god-concept.
For us to say we know what life is and how things work and how we got to what we are is like a farmer saying that he knows how a plant grows, you put the seed in the ground and water it.

In what way? We actually have a very well tested and established theory about biological complexity. And, again, gaps in human understanding are not evidence for any god(s).
It's all from God whether we recognise it or not.

Assertion.
I can't help it if that is not evidence for you but I can see why you think that.

But evidence is "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid". If some fact is entirely consistent with multiple different propositions or equally consistent with the proposition in question being false, it simply isn't evidence. It's not really a matter of opinion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is evidence and still a need for faith. That is because the evidence given is less than what you might call evidence. With that sort of evidence there is no need for faith, but with faith the evidence does not have to be what we would like. That's just how it is.
It would be nice for some if the Bible God went away also and people all over the world are working for that cause and legislation in countries opposes this God and makes it illegal to speak about Him and preach what He tells us.

It is not evidence, it is conjecture and guess work.

As far as i know there is no gospel according to god so what you consider "he tells us" is the work of some anonymous bronze age author.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What would be proof to you?
That's for you to determine; you're the one who claimed that Abraham's god is the one making the thunder and lightning.

You have no proof that it is them even if you believe it is.
My proof is in their names, clear indication to the basics of their presence. I need not believe that the thunderstorm is the Thunderer, that is confirmed with every rolling boom. Neither do I need faith to guide me to the knowledge that the flash in the sky is He Who Tends the Lightning, nor to see the chaos that it often brings. What is not evident is that they are sent by Yahweh. No burning bushes, no voice from a column of fire...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It doesn't sound at all challenging. It just looks rather obvious that you've taken some subjective experiences and states of mind, that you might well find very satisfying, and are trying to make them into something far more profound than they actually are. But if it makes you happy, I guess that's fine...
And you know they are not, exactly how? Believing they are not makes you happy? Being healthy makes me happy. A healthy mind, body, and spirit, make me happy. They make any human happy, frankly. But if you think that's not important, I guess that's fine...

ratiocinator

And you know they are not, exactly how?

I don't know, but (as I said) it looks pretty obvious that you're talking about subjective experiences and practices like meditation. There is nothing in what you said that suggests that you know either.

The experiences and practices may well be good for you and make you happy, but you've provided no reason at all to take the grand claims about "god" and "the fabric of reality" at all seriously. It may well feel like that, but if you've tried to go beyond the analytical and thinking mind, then you've lost touch with anything that can confirm your beliefs about that feeling. FWIW I agree that the thinking mind is only part of who we are but it's the part that can tell us about truths outside of ourselves.

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
In reality, asking for evidence for God is like asking for evidence of air.
Completely incorrect.

Air is part of the natural world, Gods are not. There is irrefutable evidence that air exists, we can even measure the contents of the gases that make up "air". 100% of all thinking people agree that air exists (including both secular and religious scientists - after all, no one is denying the existence of air). It is obviously subjected to scientific inquiry, as can anything that exists in the natural world. None of this is true with respect to Gods. So in reality, its nothing like asking for evidence of air.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Haven't you? Where have you been? What have you been reading after almost 4000 post on RF? You must have seen the evidence.

Our brain is said to be the most complex thing around. Our body and Genes are incredibly complex and story and use information. That is evidence of a God. For us to say we know what life is and how things work and how we got to what we are is like a farmer saying that he knows how a plant grows, you put the seed in the ground and water it.
It's all from God whether we recognise it or not.
I can't help it if that is not evidence for you but I can see why you think that.
How and why?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know, but (as I said) it looks pretty obvious that you're talking about subjective experiences and practices like meditation. There is nothing in what you said that suggests that you know either.
What? Of I course I know. I've been practicing meditation for years, plus I'm fairly well-read on the topic itself. I do know what I'm talking about, both experientially, and through academic level works on the topic itself. How much experience or knowledge on this subject do you have?

The experiences and practices may well be good for you and make you happy, but you've provided no reason at all to take the grand claims about "god" and "the fabric of reality" at all seriously.
Those are just words. They are metaphoric descriptions of perceptual, and experiential reality. I think you get confused by that, assuming I mean there is actual fabric of some scientific nature or other than can be studied, like finding the remains of a Bigfoot or something. Do you assume I mean God is an entity, a creature, or a 'person' outside myself and outside creation?

It may well feel like that, but if you've tried to go beyond the analytical and thinking mind, then you've lost touch with anything that can confirm your beliefs about that feeling.
Really? When you experience the Beauty of a sunset, is it only because you can explain scientifically how light rays change color based upon the atmospheric conditions and the angle of the sun? If you only can explain it rationally, that feeling has meaning to you? You don't allow yourself to embrace the feeling as true, until your rational mind can validate the experience for you? Otherwise, you should just dismiss it as "subjective" fluff, fun but not real?

You seem to want to want me to believe that, but I'll bet everything you don't live life like you tell yourself your should as a rational agent. Jean Paul Sartre, the French existentialist atheist scoffed at the Logical Positivists for just that very reason. He's an atheist I could get behind, him and Camus even moreso. They knew that this business of "objective reality" and the power of the rational mind was itself a form of delusional blind faith, which no actual human actually lived in practice.

FWIW I agree that the thinking mind is only part of who we are but it's the part that can tell us about truths outside of ourselves.
So, when your lover tells you they love you, what part of you activiates to affirm the truth of that claim? Rationality? I doubt that highly. My point. You are asking for evidence of a description of Love.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

What? Of I course I know. I've been practicing meditation for years, plus I'm fairly well-read on the topic itself. I do know what I'm talking about, both experientially, and through academic level works on the topic itself.

You've completely missed the point. I'm not talking about your knowledge of meditation, unless you can point to some evidence that it's telling you anything that isn't entirely subjective and experiential, i.e if it can give you any knowledge of reality outside of the human mind.
They are metaphoric descriptions of perceptual, and experiential reality. I think you get confused by that...

They are descriptions of your own personal perceptions and experiences (unless you can provided some objective evidence that they refer to anything else), and I think you get confused by that.

Of course there is much more to life than intellectually finding out about reality outside of minds but I'm really not interested in that when we are talking about the existence or otherwise of any god. Your personal, subjective experience is not going to tell us anything about objective reality of what you call 'god' or the 'fabric of reality', or, if it does, we can't possibly know that it does.
Really? When you experience the Beauty of a sunset, is it only because you can explain scientifically how light rays change color based upon the atmospheric conditions and the angle of the sun? If you only can explain it rationally, that feeling has meaning to you?

Of course not, but I can distinguish between what is actually going on in the world outside my head and what is going on inside it. This appears to be a distinction you don't want to acknowledge.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
When you experience the Beauty of a sunset, ..
So, when your lover tells you they love you, what part of you activiates to affirm the truth of that claim? Rationality?
There are reasons why people like sunset, end of the working day, a cup of tea or coffe at leisure, uniting with family and children, expectations of a nice dinner and more things in the night. It is not just the color which makes it look beautiful.
Companionship, care for each other, and more. That is what is nice about love. Somebody cares, otherwise we will be so forlorn.
There are scientific reasons for all things, Windwalker. It is not all poetry.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are reasons why people like sunset, end of the working day, a cup of tea or coffee at leisure, uniting with family and children, expectations of a nice dinner and more things in the night. It is not just the color which makes it look beautiful.
Companionship, care for each other, and more. That is what is nice about love. Somebody cares, otherwise we will be so forlorn.
There are scientific reasons for all things, Windwalker. It is not all poetry.
Of course it's not all poetry. But when you talk about things like Truth, Beauty, and Goodness (or Love, Light, and Life as I put it), science really is not the right language, nor frame of mind through which to be engaged in them. They aren't mental exercises. They aren't analytical in nature. They are experiential in nature. We "know" certain things because we experience them, and you can't know them by thinking about them. Reading a book about the ocean, does not inform your person what it is like to be in the ocean, swimming.

That's my whole point. You don't ask someone "where's your evidence" when you say you experienced love. That sounds like someone who never has experienced it, and is so skeptical, so uber-rational they claim love isn't real, that's it's 'all in your head.". As silly as that sounds, that is what it is to ask someone for evidence of God. The whole thing is misguided, by both believers and nonbelievers alike.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You've completely missed the point. I'm not talking about your knowledge of meditation, unless you can point to some evidence that it's telling you anything that isn't entirely subjective and experiential, i.e if it can give you any knowledge of reality outside of the human mind.
It's this language I tried to get through that is the source of the problem. You imagine God to be something external to us. You make this artificial distinction between inside or subjective, and outside or objective. That is a dualistic perception of reality. Reality is not like that. Inside and outside interpenetrate each other. Subjective experiences, are connected with and to the external world too. It's not just "in your brain". It's in reality, and the brain and the world interact with each other. There is no such thing as "entirely subjective", technically speaking.

So, when I say I experience the Divine. In your mind, you imagine that to be some object outside myself I have special access to, or rather that I imagine it that way you are. That would be completely wrong.

When I say I experience and perceive the Divine, that means I not only experience it within myself, I perceive it in everything I interact with, nature, the wind, the bird, the rabbitt, the child, the person, the trees, my breath, my heartbeat, all of it, everything.

Does any of that sound like I imagine God as a person in the sky to you?

You want evidence of that? Do the work, learn how to be open to it and see what's already there. The evidence is in seeing. The evidence is in tasting. You can't prove the taste of an orange any other way then actually tasting it.

They are descriptions of your own personal perceptions and experiences (unless you can provided some objective evidence that they refer to anything else), and I think you get confused by that.
I have to problem acknowledging they are my personal experiences. I can also provide they are also experiences shared by others. That in fact makes it more than just 'in my brain'. It's in many brains. :)

Once it's not just myself, but in scores of others too, then it becomes something that can be looked at objectively. That makes it an objective reality, not just in my head alone, but something that can be studied and examined. And it has been. You can start here:

https://www.amazon.com/Varieties-Re...626988564&sprefix=varietis+of+,aps,191&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Religions-Va...26988605&sprefix=peak+experien,aps,181&sr=8-1

Much, much more can be referenced as the study of states of consciousness has be investigated quite a lot more recently.

BUT, I want to emphasis cleary, not one thing I just said is saying "My experience of God, means Jehovah of the Bible is proven". Nonsense. I would never claim such a thing. But that's what it appears you imagine I must mean, right?

Of course there is much more to life than intellectually finding out about reality outside of minds but I'm really not interested in that when we are talking about the existence or otherwise of any god. Your personal, subjective experience is not going to tell us anything about objective reality of what you call 'god' or the 'fabric of reality', or, if it does, we can't possibly know that it does.
It should tell you that human beings can experience a quality of life that is transcendent, and that many humans call "God" for lack of a better word to describe transcendent states of being. That is objectively real, that humans actually experience that.

But you seem to think you need proof that a mental construct of the Absolute that people call "God" has to actually exist in order for the experience to be considered "real"? Would you say that's true? That all these deep and profound mystical states shouldn't be valued or believed in, unless you can prove there's an external deity actually at the other end of them? That to me is the height of irrationality.

There are ways to understand and accept these things to the satisfaction of the rational mind, without the rational mind robbing you of something of far greater value than what it has to offer. Fear keeps the rational mind from trusting something far deeper than itself in us, that core sense of 'knowing', without needing to engage the analytic mind. It's called traditionally, "the Heart".

Of course not, but I can distinguish between what is actually going on in the world outside my head and what is going on inside it. This appears to be a distinction you don't want to acknowledge.
Oh I'm quite aware of the distinctions. And that's why I am saying what I am. I don't think you're quite grokking what I'm saying yet.

ratiocinator

You make this artificial distinction between inside or subjective, and outside or objective. That is a dualistic perception of reality. Reality is not like that.

How do you know? There obviously is a clear distinction. Thoughts, feelings, emotions, and so on, are things going on in our brains. Houses, cats, electrons, and artichokes are objects in the real world. People who genuinely can't tell the difference (and I'm not saying this applies to you) tend to get diagnosed with mental health problems.
Inside and outside interpenetrate each other. Subjective experiences, are connected with and to the external world too. It's not just "in your brain". It's in reality, and the brain and the world interact with each other. There is no such thing as "entirely subjective", technically speaking.

Of course they interact, that doesn't change the fact that there is a distinction.
So, when I say I experience the Divine. In your mind, you imagine that to be some object outside myself I have special access to, or rather that I imagine it that way you are. That would be completely wrong.

When I say I experience and perceive the Divine, that means I not only experience it within myself, I perceive it in everything I interact with, nature, the wind, the bird, the rabbitt, the child, the person, the trees, my breath, my heartbeat, all of it, everything.

Which makes it something in your mind and a way of looking at other things. Entirely subjective, in other words. I'm not denying your experience, it just isn't something I'd count as god existing outside of people's minds.
You want evidence of that? Do the work, learn how to be open to it and see what's already there. The evidence is in seeing. The evidence is in tasting. You can't prove the taste of an orange any other way then actually tasting it.

If I followed the practices and had the same experience, that would be evidence of nothing but the fact that the practices often lead to the subjective experience and the way of looking at things. I have no reason to doubt that. An orange is something in the outside world, the taste is your experience of it. There, again, is the distinction. Some people like oranges and some don't, the taste is not a feature of the orange, it's how the orange interacts with a particular person.

What it looks like to me is that you're trying to tell me something analogous to "oranges taste delicious" is a universally true statement.
I have to problem acknowledging they are my personal experiences. I can also provide they are also experiences shared by others. That in fact makes it more than just 'in my brain'. It's in many brains. :)

Once it's not just myself, but in scores of others too, then it becomes something that can be looked at objectively. That makes it an objective reality, not just in my head alone, but something that can be studied and examined. And it has been.

Lots of people think oranges are delicious too. We could study that too.
BUT, I want to emphasis cleary, not one thing I just said is saying "My experience of God, means Jehovah of the Bible is proven". Nonsense. I would never claim such a thing. But that's what it appears you imagine I must mean, right?

I'm actually trying to work out what you mean by 'god' or the 'fabric of reality' and what I'm getting so far is that it's all in your head. I don't say that to belittle it, it's just not the same sort of thing that I would call 'god existing' or even some more general idea of 'the divine' existing.
It should tell you that human beings can experience a quality of life that is transcendent, and that many humans call "God" for lack of a better word to describe transcendent states of being. That is objectively real, that humans actually experience that.

But you seem to think you need proof that a mental construct of the Absolute that people call "God" has to actually exist in order for the experience to be considered "real"? Would you say that's true? That all these deep and profound mystical states shouldn't be valued or believed in, unless you can prove there's an external deity actually at the other end of them?

I wouldn't deny valuable, but It depends what you mean by 'real' and 'believed in'. It's some time since I read Sam Harris Waking Up but, after spending a lot of time practising these techniques, he claims that meditation and the different states of consciousness are valuable and can tell us things about human consciousness but rejects any idea that they can tell us about reality in general. That's pretty much what I'm saying, I guess.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you know? There obviously is a clear distinction. Thoughts, feelings, emotions, and so on, are things going on in our brains. Houses, cats, electrons, and artichokes are objects in the real world. People who genuinely can't tell the difference (and I'm not saying this applies to you) tend to get diagnosed with mental health problems.
I know because I can hear the way you frame the questions. It reveals your perception that when people speak of God, or spiritual experiences, they must have an external referent. It comes out in each of your posts, and in this full post as well. "God" is viewed through the lense of traditional theism; that God is outside of creation, up there, in heaven, or some place, some space other than here in this world, let alone inside of us. That is the view you convey in how you ask questions or object to statements, reveals the same perception as a traditional theist has. That's what I mean by the lenses we filter, and distort the world through.

What I am talking about acknowledges that, but realizes that that is not what defines ultimate Reality. Reality, with a capital R, is ultimately all interconnected, and nothing is completely other to the next object. If for no other reason that just rationality itself, it's easy to reason that everything in the universe has vibrating strings as its foundation of existence, atoms, quarks, strings, etc. Is anything truly "other" to this universe or each other, in the ultimate sense? No, not really. But that is how we perceive it, and hence experience as such.

But just because rationally I can acknowledge that, that does not mean I can experience that "oneness" of all that is, because I live behind the eyes that has been conditioned to see the world and the self through the eyes of duality. "I am other to the world" is the experience that perception of dualism creates for us. The mystical experience however, transcends that to where you are able to drop that dualistic division and experience that Unity of all things, and of you yourself with it.

Perception, becomes reality for us. If we are able to perceive beyond dualism, then Reality is more than "this and not that" division of the universe. It is that as well, but that is not the final word. It doesn't help when all our language, and even our sciences, creates that perception for us. All I'm saying, is that's not the final word.

Of course they interact, that doesn't change the fact that there is a distinction.
There is, and there is not at the same time. It depends which set of eyes you are looking at it through. When I eat a stalk of celery, I'm eating the ocean and the clouds as well. Water evaporates, clouds condense it and drop it, celery puts it into my body, my body gives it back to the earth, etc. Think in terms of the complexity sciences, systems theory, chaos theory, and whatnot. This is also the realization of the mystic for ages before modernity as well.

Which makes it something in your mind and a way of looking at other things. Entirely subjective, in other words. I'm not denying your experience, it just isn't something I'd count as god existing outside of people's minds.
I wouldn't count it as a god existing outside of people either. But I object to the language of "entirely subjective". That's not possible anywhere, unless it is a brain detached from the human body, isolated in a vacuum without any external sensory input. You see my point? Even while we are sound asleep, we are at some level aware of our environment. Same thing even when we are awake and actively using the thinking mind, analyzing and processing what it encounters in the day. The world is penetrating us, informing us, and us interacting with it, in some fashion or other that means we are NOT in isolation, not "entirely subjective".

Now, I wish to draw attention to your word choice again here to make my previous point above, "it just isn't something I'd count as God existing outside of people's minds". I have never once claim God is outside of humans. But I also do not say it is limited to humans, as you claim. Yours is just the flip side of the same dualistic coin as traditional theism. It's the same dualistic God, just seen as "entirely subjective", as opposed to "entirely objective". Same difference.

If I followed the practices and had the same experience, that would be evidence of nothing but the fact that the practices often lead to the subjective experience and the way of looking at things.
I have consistently argued that reality is a matter of perception. If your perception of reality changes, then reality for you becomes more than what it was for you previously.

Think of it in simple terms from your own lifespan. When you were a small child, you held perceptions of the world in your mind. The world looked a certain way, and was that way. That world was to you, what you perceived it as. But then you got programmed by culture and language and its symbolisms. You had new life experiences, you gained further insights, scientific knowledge, etc. All of those shaped the lenses of your eyeballs you were looking through from when you were five years old, into what they became in later years.

Do you believe a child a five is "wrong" about the world, because you now today are 'smarter' and have a better grasp on "reality"? What about tomorrow when your perceptions of it changes further? What about if you were to have a mystical experience and see that all that programming itself distorts your experience and awareness of reality? Wouldn't that shape the set of eyes you are seeing the world through? Isn't that all just the same thing, but just going beyond what is conventionally held within our systems of 'consensus reality"?

As I said consistently through this, what is held by our minds as "reality" is shaped by our perceptions. A child's view of reality is perhaps less clouded by all these later distortions, and hence they are possibly more attuned with that "Openness" that is Reality, yet obviously their minds are less capable of traversing a complex world of systems we have created for ourselves. That's why we go through various stages of development, such as ego development, moral development, and so forth, in order to navigate the systems we have evolved socially and culturally.

I believe that is the reason why the spiritual path, says you should become as a little child again. It means, see with your heart, and less with the clouds of perceptual reality that divides everything up artificially as it does. It means getting beyond the constructed reality of our minds, and being better attuned with real reality beyond it, even though distorted reality is still a perception of Reality itself.

I have no reason to doubt that. An orange is something in the outside world, the taste is your experience of it. There, again, is the distinction. Some people like oranges and some don't, the taste is not a feature of the orange, it's how the orange interacts with a particular person.

What it looks like to me is that you're trying to tell me something analogous to "oranges taste delicious" is a universally true statement.
Of course, the same could be said of "tasting" the Divine. The reaction of some may be absolute terror. Most certainly that may be the case. Their taste buds, their receptors may find the taste of unconditional love, to be bitter to them, because for instance they may be so guilt ridden, a "light too great to bear" exposes something they are not ready to acknowledge about themselves, and "God" appears as the 'Devil" to them. I'll readily acknowledge that the mystical experience may taste terrifying to some.

In fact, the mystical path is largely about overcoming such obstacles in order to heal them. Same thing when you go to a massage therapist. Sometimes, those badly knotted muscles hurt like fire when they are worked on. But learning how to relax, learning how to "let go" (overcome the obstacle), lets the good inherent in the body flow and heal that pain. Soon, it is painless.

Too many analogies. I'll stop with that here. :)

continued....

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(finishing my thoughts from previous post....)

Lots of people think oranges are delicious too. We could study that too.
Yes, mystical experiences are objective things, not "entirely subjective". We can study them. We could not study them if they were otherwise.

I'm actually trying to work out what you mean by 'god' or the 'fabric of reality' and what I'm getting so far is that it's all in your head. I don't say that to belittle it, it's just not the same sort of thing that I would call 'god existing' or even some more general idea of 'the divine' existing.
Yes, you wouldn't call it that because your perception of the dualistic, tradition theism view of Western Christianity has shaped and molded your cornea to see it as such. Hopefully, hearing other understandings of it, perhaps more well-fleshed out than what you hear from the pulpits of many churches, allows a wider perspective than that, which is rather limiting. Nothing you're saying sounds that unusual. It's pretty typical. I'm just saying there is more to it than that.

Everything is a matter of perception. Your view of reality, as well as my own view of reality. It's all based upon perception. And if reality is seen as dualistic, that too is "all in your head", as much as seeing Reality as Divine. That's a matter of perception as well. So you cannot say to me, "it's all in your head as a matter of perception", and ignore that it is exactly that to you as well. You just don't recognize it as being a matter of perception. You, like most people do, assume that they what they think, that what they perceive about reality, is what reality actually is.

Can you acknowledge that what I said is true? That how you view reality, and how anyone views reality, is a matter of perception which is the product of our experiences and conditionings? Can you acknowledge that my view of God or the Fabric of Reality (or any of many ways to express that through metaphors), and your view of a rational, materialistic reality are both equally "in our heads"? Can you show me how yours is not, yet mine is, if you contest that it's not the same thing?

I wouldn't deny valuable, but It depends what you mean by 'real' and 'believed in'. It's some time since I read Sam Harris Waking Up but, after spending a lot of time practising these techniques, he claims that meditation and the different states of consciousness are valuable and can tell us things about human consciousness but rejects any idea that they can tell us about reality in general. That's pretty much what I'm saying, I guess.
Sam Harris has made great strides, but he is still stuck, IMHO. He is still married to the rationalist perception of reality. He doesn't quite take the next step in really letting go of holding onto consensus reality of his peers (which let's be blunt here, that would very well potentially alienate his primary audiences). But I don't mean to judge him. I applaud him. But I also recognize he is on his path, as we all are. I'm hung up on some things too.

All that to say, while you, and myself as well, may applaud his atheism, rejecting premodern mythic-literal ideas and seeing the bigger pictures, which is what I do too, he is really not the greatest resource for understanding these things. He's filtering those understandings, tailoring them to fit his Western, largely atheistic audiences, which shapes his own experiences, and all.

I would disagree with him that it doesn't tell us anything about reality in general. It certainly does. It tells us that reality is a matter of perception. :)

ratiocinator

I know because I can hear the way you frame the questions. It reveals your perception that when people speak of God, or spiritual experiences, they must have an external referent. It comes out in each of your posts, and in this full post as well. "God" is viewed through the lense of traditional theism; that God is outside of creation, up there, in heaven, or some place, some space other than here in this world, let alone inside of us. That is the view you convey in how you ask questions or object to statements, reveals the same perception as a traditional theist has. That's what I mean by the lenses we filter, and distort the world through.

I think you misunderstood my question. You made a statement about reality and I was asking how you knew "reality is not like that." Regardless, my point is not that your concept of god has to have an external referent, merely that it either does (or perhaps part of it does) or it doesn't.
What I am talking about acknowledges that, but realizes that that is not what defines ultimate Reality. Reality, with a capital R, is ultimately all interconnected, and nothing is completely other to the next object. If for no other reason that just rationality itself, it's easy to reason that everything in the universe has vibrating strings as its foundation of existence, atoms, quarks, strings, etc. Is anything truly "other" to this universe or each other, in the ultimate sense? No, not really. But that is how we perceive it, and hence experience as such.

But just because rationally I can acknowledge that, that does not mean I can experience that "oneness" of all that is, because I live behind the eyes that has been conditioned to see the world and the self through the eyes of duality. "I am other to the world" is the experience that perception of dualism creates for us. The mystical experience however, transcends that to where you are able to drop that dualistic division and experience that Unity of all things, and of you yourself with it.

Perception, becomes reality for us. If we are able to perceive beyond dualism, then Reality is more than "this and not that" division of the universe. It is that as well, but that is not the final word. It doesn't help when all our language, and even our sciences, creates that perception for us. All I'm saying, is that's not the final word.

None of this actually changes the fact that part of reality is your own mind and the rest of it it isn't. Part of reality is the keyboard I'm typing on, the rest isn't. This isn't a dualistic view, it's just that we can usefully divide reality into different parts.
I have consistently argued that reality is a matter of perception.

Where is the argument? Of course people's perception of reality differs and changes, but what has that got to do with reality itself. It seems a very anthropocentric view. I see no reason to think human perception is at all significant to reality in general.

Everything is a matter of perception. Your view of reality, as well as my own view of reality. It's all based upon perception. And if reality is seen as dualistic, that too is "all in your head", as much as seeing Reality as Divine. That's a matter of perception as well. So you cannot say to me, "it's all in your head as a matter of perception", and ignore that it is exactly that to you as well. You just don't recognize it as being a matter of perception. You, like most people do, assume that they what they think, that what they perceive about reality, is what reality actually is.

But reality quite clearly isn't all a matter of perception. I can't perceive that gravity doesn't exist and casually step out of a tenth-story window and float gracefully to the ground. There is a qualitative difference between our experience of 'reality' and everything else in our minds, and it is inescapable. If it isn't what actually is, it might as well be. The day your perception of reality allows you to do things my perception of reality regards as physically impossible, is the day I'll take this "it's all perception" seriously.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you misunderstood my question. You made a statement about reality and I was asking how you knew "reality is not like that." Regardless, my point is not that your concept of god has to have an external referent, merely that it either does (or perhaps part of it does) or it doesn't.
An imaginary other. I agree with the atheist that God is imaginary. I just don't stop there. I say that Reality transcends any languaging, and hence any concept we may have about it. But for the sake of discussion, we take that All, and externalize it and speak of it as an "it". We give it a name. God. And so mentally we imagine this All, as outside of us.

It's the same trick we do when we speak of ourselves in the 3rd person. It's a metal trick, facilitated through language. I become a he. But I don't actually believe I am other to myself when I speak like this. Same thing when I speak of "God". It's turns 1st Person, into 3rd Person, but really is not another person. If I speak of God, I speak of everything as that All in 3rd person perspective. But God remains 1st person, I. God is the Subject of Reality.

So how do I speak of Reality, if I do not actually realize that I am that Reality somewhere inside of me, that is speaking about myself? We cannot speak of the Absolute, and excluded the subject that is perceiving itself. We are not outside That, or "God".

I'm not sure how well that communicates, but ask for clarification otherwise. It's difficult to express that in words, as words divide things we hear them and when we use them. It's the fault of language.

None of this actually changes the fact that part of reality is your own mind and the rest of it it isn't. Part of reality is the keyboard I'm typing on, the rest isn't. This isn't a dualistic view, it's just that we can usefully divide reality into different parts.
No doubt there is a reality that we interact with, and simply put we have a relationship with. It's no different that us navigating a relationship with other people. They really exist. But to take that for an example, what I believe to be the truth of that other person, and what they really are are not the same thing. "Truth" then becomes a relationship between me as the perceiver, and you as the perceived. Your objective reality, is inferred by me through my own filters, and all that goes into defining what we interact with.

We cannot say, "this is reality", and be understood to be speaking of pure unfiltered truth. That does not exist in human experience. Not even our best tools of science can do this, because all of it is done through the lens of the human perceptions of reality. We get bits and pieces, perhaps, that spark through unadulterated. But those are the mystical Awakening moments. We are now beyond the current sciences.

But in the meantime, in normal everyday life, we navigate these assumptions about reality as if they were really what is really, really, real reality. We treat it as such for convenience, or in just basic conservation of energies. Shorthands for Reality, is what ALL our mental constructs are. We just get a little thrown off when someone points out it's not really what reality is, when we've grown so used to it just being assumed.

Where is the argument? Of course people's perception of reality differs and changes, but what has that got to do with reality itself. It seems a very anthropocentric view. I see no reason to think human perception is at all significant to reality in general.
Human perception is absolutely significant. It's what we use to build bridges between our puny intellects and the Absolute. These are tethers to Reality or God for us. The Void. The Unknown. The Abyss. That's what reality is before we create language and draw pretty pictures on the face of it to help us survive it. We translate reality into symbols, which the mind looks to represent as best we can, what that Infinite Reality is.

Think of it like this. All of what you think of as reality, is a tiny patch of lawn upon the face of a trillion worlds, and trillions beyond that into infinite. Our idea of reality, is just as much the same thing as our ideas of God.

But reality quite clearly isn't all a matter of perception. I can't perceive that gravity doesn't exist and casually step out of a tenth-story window and float gracefully to the ground. There is a qualitative difference between our experience of 'reality' and everything else in our minds, and it is inescapable. If it isn't what actually is, it might as well be. The day your perception of reality allows you to do things my perception of reality regards as physically impossible, is the day I'll take this "it's all perception" seriously.
All reality it tied to our perception of it. Unless you are in absolute transcendent states of conscious, merged with the INFINITE itself, everything short of that is a mediated reality. But even then, the minute you step into this finite reality, even that experience becomes mediated by perceptions as well. That is just how the human mind works for us at this stage in our evolution. Perhaps not in the future. That would be nice. :)