• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christian scholarships?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I'm trying to find scholarships geared towards non-Christians in general (since I'm pretty much alone in any specific religious category), but I can't seem to find any.
When I search for them, the results are usually Christians on Christian sites complaining about how there are no Christian scholarships, but a ton for non-Christians (of course, from my experience, this claim is blatantly false; scholarships for specific Christian denominations aren't hard to find, although many of them will only get you into Christian schools).

Does anyone have any ideas of where I should look?

Duck

I'm trying to find scholarships geared towards non-Christians in general (since I'm pretty much alone in any specific religious category), but I can't seem to find any.
When I search for them, the results are usually Christians on Christian sites complaining about how there are no Christian scholarships, but a ton for non-Christians (of course, from my experience, this claim is blatantly false; scholarships for specific Christian denominations aren't hard to find, although many of them will only get you into Christian schools).

Sorry, I have no idea where to look for religiously based scholarships geared toward non-Christians. Truthfully, I wouldn't have the first clue where to search for religiously based scholarships at all much less a scholarship aimed at a particular non-majority (in the US at least) religion. If religious scholarships exist (not doubting your assertion) I would assume that they would be geared toward either pursuit of a specific degree (e.g. a Divinities degree, or whatever degree gets you in the door for ordination) or a specific school (like Liberty University or Oral Roberts University). Personally, I would look more for a generic scholarship, or pursue one from within my department (many University departments will have associated scholarships available only to students pursuing degrees in that department, and sometimes only after the student reaches a particular point in their studies (junior and seniors for example).)

Alceste

Vagabond
Every scholarship that is not explicitly labeled "Christian" is non-Christian. Try googling for scholarships in general instead of "non-Christian" scholarships. Nobody is going to slap a label on a scholarship that explicitly excludes candidates on the basis of religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You mean "geared to towards non-Christians" as in not making any requirement of religion, or as in specifically excluding Christians?

There are many, many scholarships out there that a non-Christian can apply for. I'd bet that there are none that Christians, and only Christians, are excluded from.

BTW - what's your religious category?

It's especially false because the majority of scholarships, by having no religious requirements at all, are completely open to Christians.

You're in high school now, right?

The financial aid office of the school you're applying to should have tons of information on scholarships. My school had a big bulletin board where information on every scholarship was posted. These days, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of web page on the school's web site that has a listing.

Your school's guidance office should also be able to help you.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Every scholarship that is not explicitly labeled "Christian" is non-Christian. Try googling for scholarships in general instead of "non-Christian" scholarships. Nobody is going to slap a label on a scholarship that explicitly excludes candidates on the basis of religion.

I'm trying to find specifically a scholarship for being non-Christian. They have scholarships for black people, hispanic people, catholic people, short people, tall people, people who make their prom dresses out of duct tape, etc, but nothing for non-Christians in general.

This whole scholarship thing is ridiculous. Why the hell do people give students money just for having certain genetic and religious characteristics?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm trying to find specifically a scholarship for being non-Christian. They have scholarships for black people, hispanic people, catholic people, short people, tall people, people who make their prom dresses out of duct tape, etc, but nothing for non-Christians in general.
There are scholarships for many categories of non-Christian. Do you consider yourself an atheist or non-theist? There are scholarships for them; not many, but some.

A

angellous_evangellous

I would talk to the head of the department at your school.

Also, be aware that there aren't that many scholarships in the humanities. There are a few small ones, and the big ones are for Ph.D. students.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
There are scholarships for many categories of non-Christian. Do you consider yourself an atheist or non-theist? There are scholarships for them; not many, but some.

I'm technically an agnostic maltheist.

I've found a few atheist scholarships, but they require some sort of major activism, and let's face it, I'm not the most active person (especially since I've only been non-Christian for about a year now and non-Christian activity would probably get me stoned or something at my hometown).

Alceste

Vagabond

This whole scholarship thing is ridiculous. Why the hell do people give students money just for having certain genetic and religious characteristics?

What I'm saying is, you're more likely to be able to find scholarships targeted to a particular demographic rather than specifically excluding a particular demographic. So, look up scholarships awarded for academic achievement and work your butt off, or find out if the industries either of your parents are involved in have any scholarship programs, or find scholarships for people from your specific area.

I got a bursary for being one of two females in a class that was otherwise all-male. That was to encourage the enrollment of women, not to discourage the enrollment of men, if you catch my drift. You can get into legal trouble for designing a scholarship that excludes people on the basis of race, religion, gender etc. A scholarship that targets a specific group is in a subtly different legal position vis a vis civil rights than one that specifically excludes a group.

Also, most people don't tend to define themselves by what they are not. (Canadians being the exception that proves the rule.)

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Scholarships.com: Free College Scholarship Search | Financial Aid Information | Free College Scholarships

1. I doubt there are scholarships specifically for not being a Christian. There are lots of non-Christians.

2. When you have money, it is up to you what to do with it. If you want to help pay for someone's college because they have X characteristic, then it is your right to do so.

I'm technically an agnostic maltheist.

I've found a few atheist scholarships, but they require some sort of major activism, and let's face it, I'm not the most active person (especially since I've only been non-Christian for about a year now and non-Christian activity would probably get me stoned or something at my hometown).

Non-Christian activity? A non-Christian activity is any activity that isn't specifically Christian. Which is basically everything.

Why define your world with Christianity? Defining yourself by what you're not requires an obsession with (and usually a hatred of) that which you are not.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've seen Ayn Rand scholarships which could be argued to meet the criteria. I doubt a Christian would receive it.