• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Telescope, No Microscope

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I struggle to understand why people of this time period, continue to believe in stories that originated in eras that did not have telescopes or microscopes. The most prominent world religions all started over ~1,500+ years ago, with many doubling that. Think about that for a minute...

They did not have telescopes, and as a result many believed that the earth was the center of the cosmos. The sun and stars revolved around the earth, and creation was centered on earth. They did not understand what a star consisted of, how far away they were, or how big the cosmos actually was. They had no idea about the speed of light, black holes, dark matter, or what happens to a star once it goes super nova.

Because of various mythologies, heaven was thought to be "up" and hell (hades, etc.) was thought to be "down." They did not have the capabilities of flight, especially space flight, and had no way of knowing what was beyond the earth. Heck, they could not even soar through the clouds like we can today.

Nor did they have microscopes. They did not have the level of scientific knowledge that we have today, especially medical science. There are many passages in the Christian Bible that talk about various "demonic possessions," but the truth is that those possessions were illnesses or diseases, and those ancient people simply did not understand them (like epilepsy). They had no idea what bacteria or viruses were, or how they were spread.

So how is it that modern humans place their faith on the writings of such primitive, uneducated people?

Thana

Lady
I struggle to understand why people of this time period, continue to believe in stories that originated in eras that did not have telescopes or microscopes. The most prominent world religions all started over ~1,500+ years ago, with many doubling that. Think about that for a minute...

They did not have telescopes, and as a result many believed that the earth was the center of the cosmos. The sun and stars revolved around the earth, and creation was centered on earth. They did not understand what a star consisted of, how far away they were, or how big the cosmos actually was. They had no idea about the speed of light, black holes, dark matter, or what happens to a star once it goes super nova.

Because of various mythologies, heaven was thought to be "up" and hell (hades, etc.) was thought to be "down." They did not have the capabilities of flight, especially space flight, and had no way of knowing what was beyond the earth. Heck, they could not even soar through the clouds like we can today.

Nor did they have microscopes. They did not have the level of scientific knowledge that we have today, especially medical science. There are many passages in the Christian Bible that talk about various "demonic possessions," but the truth is that those possessions were illnesses or diseases, and those ancient people simply did not understand them (like epilepsy). They had no idea what bacteria or viruses were, or how they were spread.

So how is it that modern humans place their faith on the writings of such primitive, uneducated people?

I know right?
When I learned about the microscope it really shook my faith.
But thankfully I got through it and now my faith is stronger than ever.

lol.

outhouse

Atheistically

Fanaticism is the danger of humanity right now, it is this ignorance that breeds violence and terrorism.

These people never used reason and logic to gain their current faith, and no amount of reason or logic will change it.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Religion conforms to new information (no, not like science) or it will deny it.
With text (scripture, etc) interpretations especially this seems true.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
That is actually not true.

all of Islam requires to place ancient book with mythology before any modern science.

40% of Christians in usa refuse modern science with extreme prejudice, and more reject some aspects.

You might find this article interesting, it's one of many my friend has e-mailed me.

Link

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I struggle to understand why people of this time period, continue to believe in stories that originated in eras that did not have telescopes or microscopes.
Peace be on you.
As I humbly understand, religion basically deals with person's relation with God and with fellow earth-fellows. It was the prime news by God to of all Prophets. They carried this teaching to people as Carrier or Messenger. They were sent by God in the time when people forget it. Such teaching do not require physical tele/micro/peri/electron-etc-scopes......But yes heart/mind/conscience-scope is essentially required.

The most prominent world religions all started over ~1,500+ years ago, with many doubling that.
Though the limit is < or > 1500, 1500 figure is close to Islam [2015-610=1405]

Think about that for a minute...They did not have telescopes, and as a result many believed that the earth was the center of the cosmos. The sun and stars revolved around the earth, and creation was centered on earth...........
Not Islam.
Instead it asked for pondering scientific phenomenon and said:

“In the creation of the heavens and the earth and in the alternation of the night and the day there are indeed Signs for men of understanding; Those who remember Allah while standing, sitting, and lying on their sides, and ponder over the creation of the heavens and the earth: ‘Our Lord, Thou hast not created this in vain; nay, Holy art Thou; save us, then, from the punishment of the Fire.'”
(Al Quran 3:191-192)

[36:24]It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor can the night outstrip the day. All of them float in an orbit.
Please see detail of the word used in note # 3241.....
@ https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=2197&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

also
The Quran and Cosmology
@ https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_4_section_5.html

Apparently-uneducated people taught people the best ways of life. If people did not take benefit of it is not fault of Prophets.

The vital question, which people still look for answers:
For example:
The Physical, Moral and Spiritual States of Man.
Five Remedies Against Unchastity
True Courage
Truthfulness
Steadfastness
Sympathy for Mankind
Search for an Exalted Being
Means of Establishing Perfect Spiritual Relationship with God
The Object of Man’s Life and the Means of its Attainment164 Means of the Attainment of Man’s Purpose
The Nature of Human Conscience
Meaning of Revelation
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/Philosophy-of-Teachings-of-Islam.pdf

Despite so much material advancement, people still do not how to live peacefully, as one can see, from first to second to third world's homes.

If people at least follow the basic morals taught in their respective Books, world will be changed to peaceful place.

outhouse

Atheistically
As I humbly understand, religion basically deals with person's relation with God and with fellow earth-fellows

Its sad with so much credible knowledge to be had by anyone with an open mind, that some people still prefer ancient mythology over education

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian

Becuase they where raised in a way that even questioning such things was considered evil.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
There are numerous Central/South American, Mediterranean, Levantine & Asian civilizations who'd like to contest that.

Early civilizations had the knowledge to make glass, as even Ptolemy wrote about refraction in the 2nd century CE. However, the first set of lenses that were put together to actually form a "telescope" are accredited to Hans Lippershey in 1608, with Galileo taking that design and pointing the telescope skyward and thus observing the moon.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Because of various mythologies, heaven was thought to be "up" and hell (hades, etc.) was thought to be "down."
Up and down was simply because of sun. When the sun was up people busied themselves in their lives. When the sun was not there (yes, people saw it doing down), the world came to a standstill. That is why the 'netherworld'.

But in Hinduism, there was great emphasis on duties (dharma). Even Gods had a position second to 'dharma'. 'Dharma' too was eternal. Which God (or Goddess) you worshiped or not was never very important. Even Gods could not go against 'dharma'.
Its sad with so much credible knowledge to be had by anyone with an open mind, that some people still prefer ancient mythology over education
Well, we do give preference to education over mythology, but do not forget, mythology also has its uses.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Early civilizations had the knowledge to make glass, as even Ptolemy wrote about refraction in the 2nd century CE. However, the first set of lenses that were put together to actually form a "telescope" are accredited to Hans Lippershey in 1608, with Galileo taking that design and pointing the telescope skyward and thus observing the moon.
Wait... which one these had a telescope when exactly?
I appear to have been slightly mistaken. Telescopes in the sense of a tube with glass lenses don't appear before 1500(that we know of anyway, though Galileo was convinced some ancient civilizations had them and it was proposed in 1200 by Roger Bacon). I was mistaking observatories with telescopes proper. No hard proof, but I agree generally with Galileo. The ability to make them was there in many cases, and we've got pottery showing people looking through long tubes at things. Again, mostly circumstantial.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Up and down was simply because of sun. When the sun was up people busied themselves in their lives. When the sun was not there (yes, people saw it doing down), the world came to a standstill. That is why the 'netherworld'.
It goes further than that. People weren't stupid(misguided undoubtedly, but not stupid). They understood basic cause & effect. They knew that life required sunlight, or at the very least that plants(and thus things that eat plants) required light. So whenever the sun was up, that meant you weren't dying. Which is probably why eclipses scared the **** out of many. The sun is literally the only reason you can eat. That was rather important.