• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no religion is the only truth, but truth is found in them all

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on what you accept as truth.

Personally my truth is that which is true in accordance with fact or reality.

Other people use belief that is accepted as true.

There is considerate difference between the different definitions.
In accordance with fact and reality as *you can percieve it.* is a critical distinction, I think. Everyone should accept that they will always be missing out on some critical data somewhere, which means others conclusions may be more reasonable. If it's not demonstrable to you, it may only be more reasonable for them. But I would not assume that their reality is less than mine for their conclusions. Just that mine is the best conclusion I can make with the data I have.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In accordance with fact and reality as *you can percieve it.* is a critical distinction, I think. Everyone should accept that they will always be missing out on some critical data somewhere, which means others conclusions may be more reasonable. If it's not demonstrable to you, it may only be more reasonable for them. But I would assume that their reality is less than mine for their conclusions. Just that mine is the best conclusion I can make with the data I have.

Fact or reality is pretty difficult to miss data, whatever it is can be repeatedly observed, measured, tested by different people and obtain the results.

If i know that have incomplete data then i cannot consider the subject of that data to be true

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So for example, I think you'd be hard pressed to name a religious "truth" that didn't exist before the religion was founded.

I would say it more strongly: Religions and spirituality say truth is eternal. Since truth is eternal, the only difference is in how it's expressed. The analogy would be that a person is the same whether or not they're wearing pajamas, work clothes or formal clothes.

People like to promote theirs as better and others perhaps false, but I've found the same basics in all.

There's also the "blind men and the elephant" that comes into play when people start debating differences.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If i know that have incomplete data then i cannot consider the subject of that data to be true

That went too far because it caused me to think this: I have a headache and feel hot. Until complete lab tests have been done and the cause (a cold virus) identified, you can't conclude the person has a cold.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Do you agree og disagree?
Religions tend to interpret the truth. Not all of them are going to be accurate or even realistic with the actuality of things.

shivsomashekhar

Do you agree og disagree?

Disagree. There is no truth in any of them; we made these religions up and cleverly attributed them to divine sources - to lend them credibility.

Well, you might believe that, but many believe in Divine revelation .. as in NOT man-made.

It was a human who told you he was "divinely inspired". You only have his words to go by. That makes it human-made.

idea

Question Everything
A brownie with cyanide in it still has eggs, flour, chocolate... if it just wasn't for that darn cyanide...

Wolves in sheep's clothing are more dangerous than honest wolves.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I have a small book "Oneness: Great Principles Shared by All Religions" which documents this. The chapters include "The Golden Rule", " Speak Truth", "Heaven is Within", sowing & reaping, don't judge, forgive, "God is Love" and so forth.

Hazrat Inayat khan's "salat" prayer includes this:
Allow us to recognize Thee
In all Thy holy names and forms;
As Rama, as Krishna, as Shiva, as Buddha;
Let us know Thee as Abraham, as Solomon, as Zarathustra, as Moses, as Jesus, as
Mohammed,
And in many other names and forms,
Known and unknown to the world.

The Bible does not teach that "heaven is within" and Solomon, Abraham, Moses and Buddha were no more than men, with Jesus being the only divine one among them.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible does not teach that "heaven is within" and Solomon, Abraham, Moses and Buddha were no more than men, with Jesus being the only divine one among them.

Maybe one needs reconsider the Bible does

"Then came these striking words: “Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17:21)

With these words, Jesus gave voice to a teaching that is universal and timeless.

Regards Tony

Brian2

Veteran Member
Maybe one needs reconsider the Bible does

"Then came these striking words: “Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17:21)

With these words, Jesus gave voice to a teaching that is universal and timeless.

Regards Tony

That is a common mistranslation and misunderstanding.
It means and is usually translated as "the Kingdom of God is among you" (in your midst)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That is a common mistranslation and misunderstanding.
It means and is usually translated as "the Kingdom of God is among you" (in your midst)
Luke 17:21
NIV
nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”
ESV
nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.”

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes but with a BIG BUT...

Most religions offer more falsehood than truth, and what truth they do offer, they typically borrowed from preexisting understanding.

So for example, I think you'd be hard pressed to name a religious "truth" that didn't exist before the religion was founded. I'm not talking about unfalsifiable claims like "this prophet is the real deal", I'm talking about truths like "follow the golden rule".
Yes, just because a religion has some things that are true or that sound true doesn't mean everything that religion says and believes in is true. Yet, some people in some religions do think that everything they believe in is true.