• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No More Face Masks...

RestlessSoul

In France as of 11 jan, 90% of the population had been vaccinated. (The government changed the minimum age limit for vaccination on 12th so that instantly became 81%)

At the same time hospitals were reporting 90% of their UCU beds occuupied by non vaccinated people suffering covid symptoms.

This means that 90% of genuine medical need for ICU beds is not happening.

And I have no reason to believe the situation is not similar in othere countries

So assume a friend or relative was in need of an ICU bed for a life threatening illnesses but had to die because the beds were full of covid patients.

How would you feel about those relevant facts then?

According to latest figures from the ONS, hospital admission rates in the U.K. due to Covid have fallen for the second week running, having apparently peaked a long way below their high point of January 2021. Something like 80% of admissions were people aged 75 and over, which is exactly what you would expect to see from flu and other viruses at this time of year.

I’ve no idea what the situation is in France.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
According to latest figures from the ONS, hospital admission rates in the U.K. due to Covid have fallen for the second week running, having apparently peaked a long way below their high point of January 2021. Something like 80% of admissions were people aged 75 and over, which is exactly what you would expect to see from flu and other viruses at this time of year.

I’ve no idea what the situation is in France.

That didn't answer my question.

And are you saying people of 75 and over are of no consequence?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest insights - Office for National Statistics
Indicates the last three recorded days admission rates have reduced but have almost continually increased from the low of may/june 2021

But yes, it seems to have peaked, is that a reason to relax vigilance? I would say when there are no new admissions then think about relaxing the rules

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They don't need to filter viruses. They just need to filter the water droplets that contain the viruses.
That was the original assessment, when it was thought covid spread mostly by droplet contamination andcontaminated surfaces. It's since been discovered that airborne transmission is significant.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've already said that they have some effect.

However, if you think that you can carry on breathing without affecting the humidity in a small space, you believe in fantasy. :)
What does the inside mask humidity have to do with anything?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In the UK.

Does this make you happy or worried?
Very happy for them. Now if only the US would end this lunacy, but fat chance of that happening with Dementia Joe and his authoritarian cronies in office. They're currently getting a pounding in the courts with their illegal mandates and obviously in the upcoming Midterms, anyway.

InChrist

Free4ever
In the UK.

Does this make you happy or worried?
It doesn’t really impact me, since I’m not in the UK. I am glad for the people there, though. I hope such measures happen in the US.

Here are some studies if you’re interested in some scientific observations concerning mask wearing.

Is a Mask That Covers the Mouth and Nose Free from Undesirable Side Effects in Everyday Use and Free of Potential Hazards? - PubMed

Effects of wearing N95 and surgical facemasks on heart rate, thermal stress and subjective sensations - PubMed

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We know with absolute certainty that wearing the masks save lives even though they're far from perfect.

As for my wife & I, we do the science, not the political propaganda that's literally killing people. And if one's church says that masks aren't important, then I recommend those in that congregation find a real pro-life church that's not steeped in secular politics and dishonesty.

InChrist

Free4ever
We know with absolute certainty that wearing the masks save lives even though they're far from perfect.

As for my wife & I, we do the science, not the political propaganda that's literally killing people. And if one's church says that masks aren't important, then I recommend those in that congregation find a real pro-life church that's not steeped in secular politics and dishonesty.
From my perspective, breathing oxygen and fresh air according to God’s design, rather than one’s exhaled carbon dioxide over and over, is pro-life.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From my perspective, breathing oxygen and fresh air according to God’s design, rather than one’s exhaled carbon dioxide over and over, is pro-life.
I wore a mask for ~6 hours straight today. I did not suffer from either anoxia or CO2 poisoning.

Spreading a disease to friends, family and the general public is, in my opinion, not pro life.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's ok ...
We've kept the rules for nearly two years and soon we won't have to.

Neither happy nor worried.
I think most everyone had done their part for long enough.

But there's a limit and now that limit has passed.

Time to make masks optional now.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
In England, the mask mandate ceases on Thursday, so we won't be required to wear them in shops and on public transport. I feel sorry for the staff working in those settings.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
They can protect themselves.

Not really. Masks reduce the risk of an infected person passing the virus to others, but provide little protection for the wearer when others nearby are infected. So retail and transport staff will be at greater risk of infection when the mask mandate ends.
I also feel sorry for people who are particularly vulnerable to infection, and will now worry about going into shops, and travelling on public transport.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not really. Masks reduce the risk of an infected person passing the virus to others, but provide little protection for the wearer when others nearby are infected. So retail and transport staff will be at greater risk of infection when the mask mandate ends.
I also feel sorry for people who are particularly vulnerable to infection, and will now worry about going into shops, and travelling on public transport.
It's not your business what others do.

Its your responsibility. Get a better mask for yourself. That's how it's supposed to work.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A properly fitted mask will provide signficant protection for the wearer.

muhammad_isa

Masks reduce the risk of an infected person passing the virus to others..
I'm sure that there is a slightly reduced risk, but vaccination reduces the risk even more.

How long should we all be wearing surgical masks for, do you think?
Another 6 months?
Another 6 years?

I'm glad it will no longer be compulsory, so decriminalised.
I hope it lasts, but am not "holding my breath" :)