• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No manual

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dakshinamurthy, often called the silent teacher (lots of info on Him, google if interested ... Here are some words on the benefits of silence.

Teaching through silence

The irony ;)

I see the world will not change by being silent. Humanity is in need of an education and education does not come with silence in this material world. When we choose to speak, it should be for the good though.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree action does speak louder than words.

I see words can inspire that action.

Every Guru has a teacher and I see actions are just unspoken creative words being put into practice.

This is the greatest proof of a Manifestation of God, they first live the word they offer. Then the spoken word can move and motivate our own souls. I see all we are capable of without words, is a direct result of their Revelations.

Regards Tony
So how exactly does the not making of a will follow the instructions to make a will? Indeed, actions do speak louder than words.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Maybe there are no mysteries, just ignorance.

Calling them mysteries makes it feel a little more romantic I suppose.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or perhaps maybe people are just reluctant to share those very real mysteries

You think there are folks out there holding out huh?
Well maybe. I've met a few claiming secret/hidden knowledge. Never amounted to more than wishful thinking.

Maybe, but you may have to consider you might die never having met any. Even if you go on a crusade looking for them.

Even if you happened to find it, I'd imagine you'd leave the rest of us in ignorance.

King Phenomenon

You think there are folks out there holding out huh?
Well maybe. I've met a few claiming secret/hidden knowledge. Never amounted to more than wishful thinking.

Maybe, but you may have to consider you might die never having met any. Even if you go on a crusade looking for them.

Even if you happened to find it, I'd imagine you'd leave the rest of us in ignorance.
I’d share lol

Then again even if I did share you probably won’t believe it anyway

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actions speak louder than words, as they say. There is a ton of non-verbal communication in humanity. Eye contact, body language, touch, smiles. Words tend to get n the way of much of that.

Is there a difference between words that disrupt one's experiences and words that support them (saying in general rather than any religious correlation)?

For example, a poet's or author's spark is present in his-his tone, writing style, pauses, content, and context. So, "how" one speaks and what one says would make the difference between a disruption of silence or an interrelationship with it.

Not one or the other.

I don't know if it's a culture thing, but I assume so. US is a "word-oriented" nation. We keep our history books, put importance to signatures, even the money in our bank accounts don't mean much unless they are on a receipt. So, we see wisdom quite important in how we speak and what we say as well as what we don't.

So, I would assume there's a difference in words in relation to one's actions (body language to a speaker) rather than it being noise in the middle of meditation or prayer?

Thinking out loud/asking.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For me the mysteries of life and the answers were hidden and I had to search for them. They weren’t written anywhere that I’ve found. It’s probably a good thing though.

I quoted something I always remembered awhile back:
…I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

Rainer Maria Rilke, 1903
in Letters to a Young Poet

Maybe the answer is not to search for the answers....

I think that's when people say things like god will answer your prayers... not so much an entity will but just letting answers come more so than trudging uphill to find them. Of course, it's just one view of many.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is there a difference between words that disrupt one's experiences and words that support them (saying in general rather than any religious correlation)?

For example, a poet's or author's spark is present in his-his tone, writing style, pauses, content, and context. So, "how" one speaks and what one says would make the difference between a disruption of silence or an interrelationship with it.

Not one or the other.

I don't know if it's a culture thing, but I assume so. US is a "word-oriented" nation. We keep our history books, put importance to signatures, even the money in our bank accounts don't mean much unless they are on a receipt. So, we see wisdom quite important in how we speak and what we say as well as what we don't.

So, I would assume there's a difference in words in relation to one's actions (body language to a speaker) rather than it being noise in the middle of meditation or prayer?

Thinking out loud/asking.

Personally, I differentiate between functional words, and words of spirituality. Obviously, words are incredibly useful in day to day living. We need to communicate about all kinds of things when we interact with people. But mostly I'm talking about silence with regard to spirituality. In a Hindu temple, for example, there is no preaching. We don't have somebody preaching, there are no pastors. I can go to the temple and never say a single word, and that's seen as totally natural, an activity shared by most of the other people there.

This is very unlike Abrahamic religions, for the most part. Their get-togethers will involve a lot of talking, sharing, etc.

And yes, entertainment would mostly fall into the non-spiritual sense. After all, I am a self-published author, so I use words.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Personally, I differentiate between functional words, and words of spirituality. Obviously, words are incredibly useful in day to day living. We need to communicate about all kinds of things when we interact with people. But mostly I'm talking about silence with regard to spirituality. In a Hindu temple, for example, there is no preaching. We don't have somebody preaching, there are no pastors. I can go to the temple and never say a single word, and that's seen as totally natural, an activity shared by most of the other people there.

This is very unlike Abrahamic religions, for the most part. Their get-togethers will involve a lot of talking, sharing, etc.

And yes, entertainment would mostly fall into the non-spiritual sense. After all, I am a self-published author, so I use words.

I think in a spiritual sense, words (and art) is a poet's voice. I guess you can say to artists, poets, and so forth, the act of creating and the product are the "action and voice" of god.

I took the abrahamic correlations away because the way they see words is different than how I'm thinking of them. Zen Koans is a good example of words in spirituality. Chants, songs, and things of that nature. Rosaries are meditative use of words much like spiritual oriented sounds.

I think words like god, scripture, words, and so forth would be more tolerable if christianity and like religions didn't influence their context.

King Phenomenon

I quoted something I always remembered awhile back:

Maybe the answer is not to search for the answers....

I think that's when people say things like god will answer your prayers... not so much an entity will but just letting answers come more so than trudging uphill to find them. Of course, it's just one view of many.
Well if thinking is searching then I guess I searched lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think in a spiritual sense, words (and art) is a poet's voice. I guess you can say to artists, poets, and so forth, the act of creating and the product are the "action and voice" of god.

I took the abrahamic correlations away because the way they see words is different than how I'm thinking of them. Zen Koans is a good example of words in spirituality. Chants, songs, and things of that nature. Rosaries are meditative use of words much like spiritual oriented sounds.

I think words like god, scripture, words, and so forth would be more tolerable if christianity and like religions didn't influence their context.

Most certainly Sanskrit is a liturgical language. In the dharmic faiths, silence is valued. Some truths are incredibly simple, like Tat tvam asi.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well if thinking is searching then I guess I searched lol

I don't know. Is thinking, searching?

When I'm in the woods or by the water, I stop "thinking" and searching. Maybe modern day has so much junk that without it all, we'd have no reason to search. (Kind of like, I don't know, taking a trash out of the garbage and realizing its just empty. No pot of gold.)

I did listen to a audio book where the author made a difference between thinking of doing something and actually doing it. Some people stay in the thinking, thinking that they are searching and doing because its part of the process. Really, all they are doing is planning (or thinking about searching).

I don't know of traditions that put much on thought, though. Anyway. em.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most certainly Sanskrit is a liturgical language. In the dharmic faiths, silence is valued. Some truths are incredibly simple, like Tat tvam asi.

Do you kinda get where I'm driving at in context?

Not saying silence isn't valued, just it is incorporated in body language and words. Kind of like when a person teaches and pauses to wait for students to process it. Silence becomes part of the lesson-a puzzle piece of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong or debating. Just wondering if you kinda get it from the other person's perspective. Abrahamic traditions aside since they have their own theology on words.

King Phenomenon

I don't know. Is thinking, searching?

When I'm in the woods or by the water, I stop "thinking" and searching. Maybe modern day has so much junk that without it all, we'd have no reason to search. (Kind of like, I don't know, taking a trash out of the garbage and realizing its just empty. No pot of gold.)

I did listen to a audio book where the author made a difference between thinking of doing something and actually doing it. Some people stay in the thinking, thinking that they are searching and doing because its part of the process. Really, all they are doing is planning (or thinking about searching).

I don't know of traditions that put much on thought, though. Anyway. em.
Paying attention to natural thoughts lol