• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-kill meat

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hmmm. I prefer my beef wipe its *** and show it the pan.

But cows do indeed contribute a lot of methane to global warming

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The husbandry regulations in my country are even stricter than the EU ones.
Meaning, they all focus on the animals' welfare...

That said...people go veggie for so many reasons.

They can be veggie because they just don't like the flavor of meat. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have mixed feelings about this.

The thought of lab-grown flesh turns my stomach. I most certainly won't be trying this. But I'm already vegetarian, so no matter.

But I think there are benefits for those that desire meat in their diet. As this becomes increasingly mass produced, less animals will be killed for food, so less animals will be bred to be raised in inhumane conditions.

It can also potentially offset the potential for hunger once the human population surpasses available finite resources.

As far as farmers are concerned, they will just have to modify their practices and shift toward dairy/vegetable/grain production or become lab techs that make the flesh.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time

What about the poor vegetarians?

What about the the poor cows?

What about the poor farmers?

Whataboutery gone mad!

Do you want no-potato fries with that?

I've been wanting to try it for a long time. I think its an incredible solution to a long time issue and imagine the economic and environmental impact culture farming can bring to the table. (Pun intended)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The thought of lab-grown flesh turns my stomach. I most certainly won't be trying this. But I'm already vegetarian, so no matter.

But I think there are benefits for those that desire meat in their diet. As this becomes increasingly mass produced, less animals will be killed for food, so less animals will be bred to be raised in inhumane conditions.

It can also potentially offset the potential for hunger once the human population surpasses available finite resources.

As far as farmers are concerned, they will just have to modify their practices and shift toward dairy/vegetable/grain production or become lab techs that make the flesh.
All it is, is the cells from a real farm animal grown in a culture instead of its body. Same thing and people probably won't really tell the difference for the most part.

Definitely a culinary adventure nonetheless.

Imagine access to prime meats where one cow for instance could feed thousands instead of tens of people. The potential to stave out hunger is enormous.

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
I'm curious to see it from an Islamic pov.

Will they still mark it as meat? Or label it as vegetables because it's not a part of living animals? And do these meat are acceptable by their beliefs?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmmm. I prefer my beef wipe its *** and show it the pan.

But cows do indeed contribute a lot of methane to global warming
And consume most of the antibiotics and eat most of the grain produced in the US, as well as consume huge amounts of water.
They're an ecological disaster.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Until the industry can produce a product cheaper than the present one, it's unlikely to make much of an impact on the market.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The focussing on welfare you claimed. Aside from reading around on tinterweb, I had a conversation with our previous vet who (as well as his pets practice) worked for the meat industry. I'm amazed he ate meat from what he told me.

Okay...but there are people who exclusively buy meat from certified farmers who get a protected brand and are constantly visited by health inspectors.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And consume most of the antibiotics and eat most of the grain produced in the US, as well as consume huge amounts of water.
They're an ecological disaster.

I am not in the us, antibiotic and hormone infested meat are a no, no under EU rules on both animal welfare and food quality.

Water is completely recycled