• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Blood for Oil... but a war for gas?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
From Wikipedia:
The Yuzivska gas field is a Ukrainian natural gas field that was discovered in 2010. It was expected to begin production in 2017, but development was halted because of the outbreak of the 2014 war in the Donbas region.[1] The total proven reserves of the Yuzivska gas field are around 70.8 trillion cubic feet (2000×109m³) and production is slated to be around 960 million cubic feet/day (27.4×106m³). The total exploration investment is expected to range between 250 and 300 million US$.
Yuzivska_gas_field_location_map.gif

In fact, including the Donbas field, Ukraine seems to have not one, but two potentially rich fields of shale gas that remain unexploited to this day:
shale-gas-in-Ukraine-2-727x404.jpg

Could it be that the independence of the Donbas republics and the Russian invasion were at least in part motivated by a need to secure gas fields for Gazprom et al?

At the very least, it seems like the Russian invasion could be a move to strategically deny the EU inexpensive access to gas from a non-Russian source.

What do you guys think?

exchemist

Veteran Member
From Wikipedia:

Yuzivska_gas_field_location_map.gif

In fact, including the Donbas field, Ukraine seems to have not one, but two potentially rich fields of shale gas that remain unexploited to this day:
shale-gas-in-Ukraine-2-727x404.jpg

Could it be that the independence of the Donbas republics and the Russian invasion were at least in part motivated by a need to secure gas fields for Gazprom et al?

At the very least, it seems like the Russian invasion could be a move to strategically deny the EU inexpensive access to gas from a non-Russian source.

What do you guys think?
I don't believe this has anything to do with it. The reasons for the invasion have by now been analysed at some length and nobody has mentioned gas reserves, even in passing. Putin is like Hitler, a short man (5' 7'') smarting under the perceived humiliation of the loss of the USSR, and trying to "make Russia great again", drawing on a very partial version of the history of Russia and Kievan Rus'.

Every time there is a war, as surely as night follows day, someone will claim it is all to do with fossil fuel. But it almost never is.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I don't believe this has anything to do with it. The reasons for the invasion have by now been analysed at some length and nobody has mentioned gas reserves, even in passing. Putin is like Hitler, a short man (5' 7'') smarting under the perceived humiliation of the loss of the USSR, and trying to "make Russia great again", drawing on a very partial version of the history of Russia and Kievan Rus'.
And yet, Hitler's armies very famously made a detour from Moscow in 1942, in an (unsuccessful, in the end) attempt to secure the oil reserves of the Caucasus.

I don't think any war is "about" any single particular thing, but I can't help but think that economic considerations influence a certain readiness to go on imperialist adventures (and make no mistake, the war in Ukraine is definitely an imperialist venture, justified in the exact same manner as Europeans have historically justified the invasion and occupation of "uncivilized" colonials).

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
And yet, Hitler's armies very famously made a detour from Moscow in 1942, in an (unsuccessful, in the end) attempt to secure the oil reserves of the Caucasus.

I don't think any war is "about" any single particular thing, but I can't help but think that economic considerations to influence a certain readiness to go on imperialist adventures (and make no mistake, the war in Ukraine is definitely an imperialist venture, justified in the exact same manner as Europeans have historically justified the invasion and occupation of "uncivilized" colonials).
Ah well, economic advantages in a more general sense, maybe do form an implicit part of it. After all, Ukraine is traditionally the breadbasket of Eurasia and has, I think, quite a lot of manufacturing industry in the east. But a lot is to do with the Putin version of history: Kievan Rus' , Kyiv as a jewel of their civilisation and a (convenient and wrong) conviction that they are all one people.

But it's not about fossil fuel, of that I am quite sure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Every time there is a war, as surely as night follows day, someone will claim it is all to do with fossil fuel. But it almost never is.
There are also large fossil fuel reserves in the contiguous Black Sea.
This might not be the reason for the invasion, but it would at least
be a contributing factor.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Ah well, economic advantages in a more general sense, maybe do form an implicit part of it. After all, Ukraine is traditionally the breadbasket of Eurasia and has, I think, quite a lot of manufacturing industry in the east. But a lot is to do with the Putin version of history: Kievan Rus' , Kyiv as a jewel of their civilisation and a (convenient and wrong) conviction that they are all one people.

But it's not about fossil fuel, of that I am quite sure.
I don't think the history of Ukraine is really driving any substantial policy here; at best, it is a retrograde justification for the policies that Russian leaders already wanted to implement.

I think that, much like European profits from the slave trade shaped the idea that Black people weren't fully human or fundamentally inferior (and therefore it was okay for Europeans to profit from their misery), the economic incentives inherent to controlling Ukrainian territory shape the idea that Ukraine is a fake nation that doesn't really exist (and therefore it's okay for Russia to seize control over its territory).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are also large fossil fuel reserves in the contiguous Black Sea.
This might not be the reason for the invasion, but it would at least
be a contributing factor.

I think it all depends on those individuals who cannot breathe unless they gain their daily million of dollars.

They have been drooling over Ukrainian resources for decades.
But that gas belongs to the Ukrainian people only.

So I hope nobody from the American Deep State has ever wanted to seize that gas.

Last edited:
What do you guys think?

Every recent war.

Enthusiastic voice: "Haha sheeple, it's all about oil/pipeline/mineral resource. Suckers."

(narrator's voice) but they never learned from being wrong about the last war. The meme was to powerful, and they were doomed to repeat it for all of eternity...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In my own native language there is so much evidence, so many books written on what happened in 2014, in Ukraine. How the greed for Ukrainian natural gas caused so much interference from Washington DC.

What I consider utterly shocking is that there is no Wikipedia page in English about the Odessa Massacre of 2014.
Strage di Odessa - Wikipedia

Maybe is it because there are American Deep State people behind it?
The page is very clear. The pro-Yanukovič demonstrators were burnt alive inside a building.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it all depends on those individuals who cannot breathe unless they gain their daily million of dollars.
They start having convulsions unless they gain that money.
They have been drooling over Ukrainian resources for decades.
But that gas belongs to the Ukrainian people only.

So I hope no squalid individual from the American Deep State has ever wanted to seize that gas.
Putin is the wealthiest man in the world.
You might consider his motives, not just the
old USA Deep State Conspiracy Theory.

Consider also that in all of the US recent
wars, we don't get any fossil fuel resources.
Who got those fields in Afghanistan?
China did.
China wins $700 million Afghan oil and gas deal. Why didn't the US bid?
So you should consider that if China is the
main beneficiary of the recent wars, including
Russia-vs-Ukraine, then your conspiracy theory
should have them at the helm. It's where the
money leads.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Putin is the wealthiest man in the world.
You might consider his motives, not just
the Deep State Conspiracy Theory.

Consider also that in all of the US recent
wars, we don't get any fossil fuel resources.
Who got those fields in Afghanistan?
China did.
China wins $700 million Afghan oil and gas deal. Why didn't the US bid?
So you should consider that if China is
the main beneficiary of the recent wars,
including Russia-vs-Ukraine, then your
conspiracy theory should have them
at the helm. It's where the money leads.

Rothschilds are much richer than Putin...despite someone's desperate attempt to make them look the poorest dynasty ever in history.

Secondly...with his wealth, Putin invested in infrastructures to make the Russian economy take the lead. Creating employment and wealth.
Rothschilds are a bottomless pit. They stockpile billions for their own pleasure. To satiate their own greed.

I think the difference is overwhelming.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rothschilds are much richer than Putin...despite someone's desperate attempt to make them look the poorest dynasty ever in history.
Putin has over $200,000,000,000 per estimates
I've seen. Putin is clear the singular leader of Russia.
How much do Rothschilds have?
What governments do they run...in what positions?
Secondly...with his wealth, Putin invested in infrastructures to make the Russian economy take the lead. Creating employment and wealth.
Rothschilds are a bottomless pit. They stockpile billions for their own pleasure. To satiate their own greed.

I think the difference is overwhelming.

I couldnt care less about Asia...since I entirely focus on Europe.
Ignore Asia at your (our) peril.
China is currently....
- Using the Russian invasion as a measure of
the west's commitment & capability to defend small
states from military conquest.
- Buying up discounted Russian fossil fuel companies.
- Expanding economically around the globe faster than
Russia & USA, eg, Afghanistan, Africa.
- Noticing that conventional warfare capability is more
important than nuclear. And that Russia is a failure in
this critical area. Russia is vulnerable.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ignore Asia at your (our) peril.
China is currently....
- Using the Russian invasion as a measure of
the west's commitment & capability to defend small
states from military conquest.
- Buying up discounted Russian fossil fuel companies.
- Expanding economically around the globe faster than
Russia & USA, eg, Afghanistan, Africa.
- Noticing that conventional warfare capability is more
important than nuclear. And that Russia is a failure in
this critical area. Russia is vulnerable.

Thanks to the United States .
Because the United States should have befriended Russia and obtained all those advantages instead.

Instead of
1) excluding her from G8
2) sanctioning her

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks to the United States .
Because the United States should have befriended Russia and obtained all those advantages instead.

Instead of
1) excluding her from G8
2) sanctioning her
No comment on China's significance? If you want a good
conspiracy theory for what's going on, they're the most
likely candidate because they benefit more than any other.
Soros & Rothschilds are mere beggars in comparison.

We have a political situation that makes befriending Russia
difficult. It's corruption & human rights issues make it a
pariah here.
Instead of Russian apologetics, how about some Russia
criticism. After all, there is much that Russia could do to
make friendship more attractive.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No comment on China's significance? If you want a good
conspiracy theory for what's going on, they're the most
likely candidate because they benefit more than any other.
Soros & Rothschilds are mere beggars in comparison.

We have a political situation that makes befriending Russia
difficult. It's corruption & human rights issues make it a
pariah here.
Instead of Russian apologetics, how about some Russia
criticism. After all, there is much that Russia could do to
make friendship more attractive.

No...I am sorry. I consider that the 8 years of the 44th POTUS will go down in history as the worst ever for the history of our Civilization .