• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ninth Circuit Panel Upholds California's Ban of Systematic Torture of Birds

Nous

Premium Member
In 2004, California revised its Health and Safety Code to include provisions that prohibit the force-feeding of ducks, geese and other birds, which is perversely done in order to induce a diseased state (hepatic lipidosis) in which the bird's liver enlarges 7-10 times its normal size, otherwise known as foie gras on restaurant menus, literally, “fatty liver”. The statute also prohibits the in-state sale of products made from birds that have been force-fed.

The purpose of the law is simply to eliminate this barbaric treatment of animals, which is a regulatory field encompassed by states' police powers. The practice of force-feeding ducks and geese involves inserting a 10- to12-inch metal or plastic tube down the bird's esophagus and inundating their stomachs with an unnatural and often hot corn gruel. This violence is inflicted upon the birds 3 times per day during the final couple of weeks of their lives. Among the findings of the California Assembly were that the practice of force-feeding is “so hard on the birds that they would die from the pathological damage it inflicts if they weren’t slaughtered first” and that the “swollen liver can cause many health problems and eventually makes walking and breathing difficult for the bird. Further, the liver may hemorrhage due to its size.” According to a study by the Scientific Committee on Animal Health and Animal Welfare, the mortality rate of birds raised for foie gras has been found to be as much as 20 times higher than that of birds raised normally, due apparently to physical injury, heat stress and liver failure; force-feeding results in severe tissue damage to the throat muscles. PETA further documents: “The birds are kept in tiny cages or crowded sheds. Unable to bathe or groom themselves, they become coated with excrement mixed with the oils that would normally protect their feathers from water. One Newsweek reporter who visited a foie gras factory farm described the ducks as 'listless' and 'often lame from foot infection due to standing on metal grilles during the gavage.' Other common health problems include damage to the esophagus, fungal infections, diarrhea, impaired liver function, heat stress, lesions, and fractures of the sternum. Some ducks die of aspiration pneumonia, which occurs when grain is forced into the ducks’ lungs or when birds choke on their own vomit.” That the practice of force-feeding is an unnecessary infliction of pain and suffering upon the animals is hardly deniable. Even a non-graphic picture paints a thousand words:

191a7c094643459ca55bf60377f1bc98.jpg

At the time of the passage of the California law, several countries had enacted bans of force-feeding birds or the sale of foie gras products. The list continues to grow, with at least 16 countries currently having such bans: Argentina, Australia, Italy, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, India, Luxembourg, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Israel, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Israel is unique insofar as its Supreme Court, sitting as the High Court of Justice, found that the regulations governing force-feeding of birds were contrary to the Protection of Animals Law, and, in the absence of non-cruel regulations, ultimately prohibited the practice. At the time, Israel was the world's 4th largest producer of products made from the diseased livers of force-fed birds. In its findings, the California Assembly Committee also cited a 2004 Zogby poll of 1000 random US voters in which 77% agreed that force-feeding birds in order to produce foie gras should be banned, while 16% disagreed and 7% were unsure (see link above). It seems that the end is nigh for force-feeding birds.

The California legislature delayed implementation of its law for 7 and a half years as a transition period. In spite of this lengthy interval, a California restaurant and two companies (in New York and Quebec) that sell the diseased livers of force-fed birds filed suit challenging this law the day after it went into effect in 2012. The plaintiffs' principle argument is patently absurd in more than one respect. Without any basis in fact or law, they claimed that force-feeding ducks and geese is an “ingredient” of foie gras, and therefore is regulated by the Poultry Products Inspection Act (PPIA), 21 U.S.C. § 467e of which prohibits states from imposing new or different “ingredient requirements” for poultry products. Unfortunately, in 2015 Judge Stephen Wilson of the US District Court of the Central District of California swallowed this argument and issued a permanent injunction against implementing the law.

Force-feeding is clearly not an “ingredient” according to the ordinary definition of the word nor in the context of the PPIA. In its decision issued Friday reversing and remanding the district court's ruling and injunction, the Ninth Circuit panel highlights numerous uses of the term “ingredient” in the text of the PPIA, all of which refer to a physical component of a food product, just as the definition of the word indicates--e.g., “spices, flavoring, and coloring”; “acidifiers, antifoaming agents, artificial sweeteners, food binders and extenders, coloring agents, and proteolytic enzymes”. Decisively the Circuit court further explains:

The PPIA . . . authorizes the USDA, acting through its Food Safety and Inspection Service (“FSIS”), to prescribe standards of identity or composition for poultry products. 21 U.S.C. § 453(h)(7); 9 C.F.R. § 381.155(a)(1). These “ingredient requirements” cannot be read to reach animal husbandry practices because the federal law “does not regulate in any manner the handling, shipment, or sale of live poultry.” H.R. Rep. No. 85-465 at 1 (1957), reprinted in 1957 U.S.C.C.A.N. 1630, 1630 (emphasis added).[2] The USDA has even represented in legal filings that “[t]he PPIA is wholly silent on the treatment of farm animals, (including feeding procedures) or methods of slaughter for poultry.” Motion for Summary Judgment, at 2, Animal Legal Def. Fund v. USDA, No. 12-cv-04028 (C.D. Cal. Apr. 22, 2016), ECF No. 67; id at 3 (“[The FSIS] has no authority to regulate the care or feeding of birds prior to their arrival at the slaughter facility.” (citing Decl. of Alice M. Thaler, Senior Director for Program Services in the Office of Public Health Science, FSIS, USDA, at ¶¶ 6–7, Animal Legal Def. Fund v. USDA, No. 12-cv-04028 (C.D. Cal. Nov. 28, 2012), ECF No. 26-1)).[3] Accordingly, the PPIA’s “ingredient requirements” are limited to the physical components of poultry products and do not reach the subjects of animal husbandry or feeding practices.

[. . . ]

“Force-fed” is not a physical component that we find in our poultry; it is a feeding technique that farmers use.​

Plaintiffs advanced two other vaguely related arguments that have no more basis in fact or law than does their primary argument--indeed, as the Circuit court shows, theses arguments are more explicitly refuted by the case law and the text of the PPIA. It seems unnecessary to discuss these. But anyone who wishes to defend plaintiffs' field and obstacle preemption arguments is welcomed to do so.

So is there any reason that states should be prohibited from banning cruelties inflicted on animals and products made from these animals, such as the activity of force-feeding birds and products made from the diseased livers of these tormented birds?

Do you support banning the force-feeding of birds to induce hepatic lipidosis?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you support banning the force-feeding of birds to induce hepatic lipidosis?
I will never have to make the choice about whether or not to eat them myself, because they are too expensive, however this argument is very similar to arguments against farmed chicken, farmed cattle and farmed pigs. If there is a referendum against the practice of force feeding any animal I will sign the petition and vote to ban that particular practice provided it does not make it a federal crime or send anybody to jail. Cruelty to an animal is not great, however it should not be too heavily punished, tentatively speaking. The fellow in the picture who is being paid to do that job should not have to go to jail over it. He is more important than a duck. Maybe he is a cruel fellow and needs to go to an asylum, but he shouldn't go to jail for how he treated ducks.

Nous

Premium Member
I will never have to make the choice about whether or not to eat them myself, because they are too expensive, however this argument is very similar to arguments against farmed chicken, farmed cattle and farmed pigs. If there is a referendum against the practice of force feeding any animal I will sign the petition and vote to ban that particular practice provided it does not make it a federal crime or send anybody to jail. Cruelty to an animal is not great, however it should not be too heavily punished, tentatively speaking. The fellow in the picture who is being paid to do that job should not have to go to jail over it. He is more important than a duck. Maybe he is a cruel fellow and needs to go to an asylum, but he shouldn't go to jail for how he treated ducks.
§ 25983 provides that a violation of the California law incurs a mere civil penalty of no more than $1000 per violation, and no more than $1000 each day the violation continues. That's quite lenient considering that if someone were to do the same to a dog for the purpose of inducing a diseased state, it would constitute a criminal offense in every state, a felony in some states, generally with sentences including time in prison.

I am unaware of efforts to ban force-feeding or foie gras products in other states. A bill similar to the California law was introduced in the Massachusetts legislature more than a decade ago, but it never got to a vote. However, just last year voters overwhelmingly passed a citizen-initiated statute that prohibits confining pigs, veal calves and egg-laying hens in spaces that prevent them from lying down, standing up, fully extending their limbs or turning around freely, and prohibits the sale of products where the animal was subjected to such confinement. This is a major advancement in the treatment of these animals, as it outlaws veal crates, birthing pen and battery cages, and products where such confinement was employed. And the referendum passed by just less than 78%. This makes me think that ordinary people do wish to ensure more humane treatment of these animals--though, I think many people just aren't aware of the real conditions and the endless suffering.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
§ 25983 provides that a violation of the California law incurs a mere civil penalty of no more than $1000 per violation, and no more than $1000 each day the violation continues. That's quite lenient considering that if someone were to do the same to a dog for the purpose of inducing a diseased state, it would constitute a criminal offense in every state, a felony in some states, generally with sentences including time in prison.
The fines are a good idea. I think they do not express how outrageous it is, but I do not think its within the capacity of the law to perfectly address the issue. What do you think about declaring these people insane when they do these things? Is it sane behavior?

I am unaware of efforts to ban force-feeding or foie gras products in other states. A bill similar to the California law was introduced in the Massachusetts legislature more than a decade ago, but it never got to a vote. However, just last year voters overwhelmingly passed a citizen-initiated statute that prohibits confining pigs, veal calves and egg-laying hens in spaces that prevent them from lying down, standing up, fully extending their limbs or turning around freely, and prohibits the sale of products where the animal was subjected to such confinement. This is a major advancement in the treatment of these animals, as it outlaws veal crates, birthing pen and battery cages, and products where such confinement was employed. And the referendum passed by just less than 78%. This makes me think that ordinary people do wish to ensure more humane treatment of these animals--though, I think many people just aren't aware of the real conditions and the endless suffering.
Yes that is a major improvement. We are some desperately evil creatures sometimes. We tend to think "Oh that's just common sense" until it is us, and its our farm and its costing us. I do not think I would force feed animals, but I share almost identical DNA to the same people who do. I'd like to think its abnormal behavior, but somehow I don't think so. I think its typical for people to be insensitive.

Nous

Premium Member
What do you think about declaring these people insane when they do these things? Is it sane behavior?
I am unaware that there is much problem with people violating the laws that prohibit force-feeding or commerce in foie gras. I don't believe that people generally force-feed ducks and geese merely for their own titilation. I have read reports where in the first few months of the California law in 2012 a couple of restaurants gave customers foie gras without charging them and claimed that this did not violate the law. However, unless this was leftover from prior to the law going into effect (which it probably was), it means that they purchased it, which does violate the law. In any case I don't expect such a thing to continue.

The people who might mistreat a bird or illegally sell foie gras do not meet the legal definition of insanity.