• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nietzche the Satanist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
I was reading "the AntiChrist" and I noticed there are several BIG similarities between what Nietzche says and what Satanists say... any thoughts?

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
i think he was a funny guy.not quite sure if he was so similar to satanists(as i've not done thorough research on them), but he was wrong as well.

--S

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Anton LeVey, the founder of the satanic church, was influenced, in part, by Nietzche.

I beleve that this is covered in another thread on this part of the fourm, if you want to learn more.

HelpMe, perhaps you should do some reserch on them before you condemn them to 'wrongness' ;)

wa:do

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
painted wolf said:
HelpMe, perhaps you should do some reserch on them before you condemn them to 'wrongness' ;)

i will learn about everything eventually, would you excuse me the delay that hath occured?life is known to occasionally get in the way of knowledge.at least i admitted i know little to nothing of their beliefs?

--S

As per believing such as seeing is believing, his point of view all faith ultimately (in a rush of pessimism) is wrongly founded. It is the founding in our use of Reason which is wrong.
I prefer to be more optomistic about our ability to develop an already existing sense of Faith with the sense as per reasoning (logical working out of our distinct way of personal from collective thinking) to unify and re-unify our understanding for Nature, us, the human reality, being in the midst of (God allows the immediate sense of nature's thereness before we explicitly justify to IT a questioning of truth awareness).
Th reason of Nietzsche's thinking is important; people won't stop in the modern World ( because of the inadequacy in temporal involving in each other's ideas, or failing of coherence and unity for fake synthetic substitutes) to the sprirtual solitude not really expected of THEM.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
but couldn't it be argued that your choice of optimism over objectivism makes your point of view equilly 'wrongly founded'?

Rex

Founder
Nietzche could never be a satanist though. He believed god was created by man is now dead b/c the herd doesn't need him anymore.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
obviously, Nietzche is the proto-typical Athiest... ;)
However Nietzche did have a profound effect on Anton LeVey and inspired him as he formed the basis of Satanism.

Don't you think that Nietzche would be at least partially offended by being compared to satanists. He would naturally disaprove of them as much as other religions, if not more, because of why they exist, in part.
And just because his teachings were a foundation doesn't make him included...
Jesus' teachings are fundamental to Islam, but Jesus was not a Muslim...

Greyson

I have read some of Nietzche, and have read Anton LeVey's Satanic Bible...I don't see how Nietzche could be a Satanist even though he is highly pessimistc in regards to religion, nor how Anton would get inspiration from Nietzche to start the Satanic church, IMHO.

But Jesus was a Messianic Jew, who are considered to be some of the earliest Christians, although they usually don't appreciate the designation themselves. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Again... its pretty obvious that Nietzche is not a satanist.. he is athiest.

In the forward to my eddition of the satanic bible Le Vey states that as a youth he avidly read the works of Nietzche and that it helped him form his ideas on God and the worship there of... ie. man creates God and his religions... not God giving religion to the masses... Religion is a tool for controling the weak minded... He wanted a religion that encouraged "true" human behavior and freedom from the confines that other religions imposed for the sake of being "holy".
He obviously had other influences that helped, shuch as working as an organist for both a strip-tease show and tent revival christian meetings. (often where he saw the same faces in the crowd)

In the end the works of Nitzche was just one of many influences that shaped Satanism.. and again, this does not make him a Satainist any more than the fact that anchient Rome influanced the USA makes them Italian. ;)

Dr. Nosophoros

Nietzche was an excellent author, which I have only found out recently (I am 38). I consider myself a "Satanist" or Left Hand Path and avoided his works for years for the sole reason that many "Satanists" used his works to help explain their beliefs, I felt that my path should not be guided by many others words, just my own experiences and thoughts until the time that I felt my experience was sufficient enough to allow myself to be able to read and digest such material without being unduly influenced or entrapped by such. I found myself agreeing with much of what Nietzche said instead of being "converted" or have a great "awakening" (very similar to the feeling when I read the TSB by Lavey- years earlier). The reason for this mentality is my observation that many self proclaimed "Satanists" that I met were simply mouthpieces for Laveys instead of digesting the material and thinking on their own, full of rhetoric, yet missed the point IMO.

The one drawback I can see with Nietzche is that he seems constantly at odds with the biblical faiths, but I can understand because of my understanding (rightly or wrongly) of organized religions effects on the social and political situation at the time he wrote and philosiphized, I feel his works are dated yet timeless in the same sentence. I feel that Nietzches not only spoke about " religion " in general, but the slavish power which some put in that which that is said to be "sacred" not implying religion. This could be political, social, familial in other words , anything that can be used to proclaim itself to be the "one and only" moral, mental, physical or supernatural absolute that can entrap and limit the living in spirit, mind body etc.

I would reccomend Nietzche to anyone, but first understand yourself.

Runt

Just a note... I don't know a lot of Satanists, but the couple I do know ARE atheist. They hold, very strongly, that there is no God/diety/etc. They explain that Satan is just a symbol that represents humanity in its "natural" form (giving into desires, etc), and is not a real being at all. How this compares to Nietzche, however, I do not know.

Berkeley

Nietzsche argued for a pathos of authenticity - any philosophy that seeks to explain how the world is and the best way to live, would be counter to Nietzsche's cause.

Neitzsche was influenced by pagan imagery but he was not a follower of any religion (to be so would be anti-Neitzschian). Like other existentialist writers, Nietzsche used his writings to entice (from the French to set on fire) his readers into thinking about their existence and lives. His work is designed to encourage you to reflect on your current beliefs - not to replace them with his beliefs.

'God is dead' refers to the death of Christian influence on Western philosophy. Before Descartes, scholars believed that Aristotle (who was not a Christian) had provided all the answers. Descartes is considered the father of modern philosophy because he doubted. All philosophy after Descartes required us to think for ourselves rather than leaving the last word with God.

Neitzsche's writings appear similar to Satanic writings because they turn Christian ideals on their head. This is key to Nietzsche's philosophy - if you do not believe in a Christian God, what reason do you have to follow Christian morality? If God is dead (in that we do not use Him to resolve philosophical discussion) how do we justify our current moral beliefs. Furthermore, how do we justify our metaphysical and epistemological beliefs?

Neitzsche shows similarities with Satanists in some areas but equally he shows similarites with atheist political organisations (like free-spirit anarchists 300 years before his time).

Linking the names of respected philosophers to political/religious theories in order to give some authority to these theories - is decidedly anti-Neitzschian.

Rex

Founder
Berkeley said:
Nietzsche argued for a pathos of authenticity - any philosophy that seeks to explain how the world is and the best way to live, would be counter to Nietzsche's cause.

Neitzsche was influenced by pagan imagery but he was not a follower of any religion (to be so would be anti-Neitzschian). Like other existentialist writers, Nietzsche used his writings to entice (from the French to set on fire) his readers into thinking about their existence and lives. His work is designed to encourage you to reflect on your current beliefs - not to replace them with his beliefs.

'God is dead' refers to the death of Christian influence on Western philosophy. Before Descartes, scholars believed that Aristotle (who was not a Christian) had provided all the answers. Descartes is considered the father of modern philosophy because he doubted. All philosophy after Descartes required us to think for ourselves rather than leaving the last word with God.

Neitzsche's writings appear similar to Satanic writings because they turn Christian ideals on their head. This is key to Nietzsche's philosophy - if you do not believe in a Christian God, what reason do you have to follow Christian morality? If God is dead (in that we do not use Him to resolve philosophical discussion) how do we justify our current moral beliefs. Furthermore, how do we justify our metaphysical and epistemological beliefs?

Neitzsche shows similarities with Satanists in some areas but equally he shows similarites with atheist political organisations (like free-spirit anarchists 300 years before his time).

Linking the names of respected philosophers to political/religious theories in order to give some authority to these theories - is decidedly anti-Neitzschian.
Dr. Berkeley is that you? If so how is the Visa going?

Status
Not open for further replies.