• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newdow is at it again

Flappycat

CaptainXeroid said:
The people most likely to get riled up by it are the ones who want to keep 'Under God' in the pledge, and if that means voting for Republicans who will be more likely to nominate and confirm judges who would rule to keep 'Under God' in the pledge, then that's what many of us will have to do.
Oh, all a Democrat would have to do, if asked about it, is dismiss it as a meaningless waste of time. That would take care of that.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Theodore said:
How many kids saying the pledge do you think are Godless commies?
Enough. I'm in rural Georgia and I knew no few atheists when I was in school, and a few 'commies' here and there. I imagine being open about it is more common in places where you don't get looked down upon for differing beliefs.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Flappycat said:
Oh, all a Democrat would have to do, if asked about it, is dismiss it as a meaningless waste of time. That would take care of that.
If it is such a 'waste of time', just leave the pledge the way it is with 'Under God' in it.
The fight to remove those words could drive Christians to the polls to vote for Republicans like they did in 2004.
Flappycat said:
...One of these days, atheists will hold a majority, and we'll decide then whether or not we find it offensive enough to be changed.
I wouldn't bet on it and certainly hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I notice that none of the responders who wish to retain the "under God" phraseology will answer the question of whether they would be willing to have their children be required to acknowledge the prime points of other faiths in the Pledge (or something similar). Why is that?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I say we use a different deity from the five main faiths in America for every school day of the week. I think that'd be a reasonable solution.

jonny

Engyo said:
I notice that none of the responders who wish to retain the "under God" phraseology will answer the question of whether they would be willing to have their children be required to acknowledge the prime points of other faiths in the Pledge (or something similar). Why is that?
Of course not, because we have the power! MUWAHAHAHA! :jam:

Seriously, I don't think that the kids really care. This is about their parents, and how often do they say the pledge? Maybe once a year on the fourth of july? Probably not even that often. I don't think that the words "under God" are really that significant, but this is part of a bigger power struggle. People of faith are sick of being pushed around by organizations like the ACLU who are trying to protect the rights of one group while surpressing the rights of another. The result: we get defensive about things like this.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jonny said:
People of faith are sick of being pushed around by organizations like the ACLU who are trying to protect the rights of one group while surpressing the rights of another.
Just how is not requiring all school children to affirm beliefs that they and their parents may or may not hold suppressing the rights of anyone?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
jonny said:
Seriously, I don't think that the kids really care. This is about their parents, and how often do they say the pledge? Maybe once a year on the fourth of july? Probably not even that often. I don't think that the words "under God" are really that significant, but this is part of a bigger power struggle. People of faith are sick of being pushed around by organizations like the ACLU who are trying to protect the rights of one group while surpressing the rights of another. The result: we get defensive about things like this.
So you'd be fine with pledging your allegience to one nation under The Lady on Monday, God on Tuesday, Buddha on Wednesday, Satan on Thursday, and IPU on Friday? :)

jonny

Jensa said:
So you'd be fine with pledging your allegience to one nation under The Lady on Monday, God on Tuesday, Buddha on Wednesday, Satan on Thursday, and IPU on Friday? :)
I don't know who IPU is. Could we replace him with Joseph Smith?

jonny

Maize said:
Just how is not requiring all school children to affirm beliefs that they and their parents may or may not hold suppressing the rights of anyone?
I wasn't referring to this particular example. I don't think that it is.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I dunno. I suppose if atheists wanted Josph Smith instead of IPU or the Flying Spaghetti Monster that'd be okay.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Out of curiosity, is there one solid argument on why 'under God' should stay in the pledge?

jonny

Maize said:
Well then give me an example.
Currently the ACLU (along with your church unfortunately) has a lawsuit against my church requesting that it allow people to preach against the church on its own property. The land in question is directly next to our temple and the preachers have done things such as yell at brides who were getting married. Since this has started I haven't attended conference because I can't stand being yelled at on my way to church. This is an instance where I believe the ACLU is supporting the rights of one group while supressing the rights of another.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon91.html
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,450027285,00.html

Theodore

jonny said:
Currently the ACLU (along with your church unfortunately) has a lawsuit against my church requesting that it allow people to preach against the church on its own property. The land in question is directly next to our temple and the preachers have done things such as yell at brides who were getting married. Since this has started I haven't attended conference because I can't stand being yelled at on my way to church. This is an instance where I believe the ACLU is supporting the rights of one group while supressing the rights of another.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon91.html
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,450027285,00.html
The ACLU is rife with commies and, in fact, was created by commies. The ACLU is one of the most vile organizations in this country. They are anti God, anti religion and anti American.
They should be pelted with rotten fruit at every opportunity. In fact, take some ammo with you next time you go to church.:D

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Theodore said:
The ACLU is rife with commies and, in fact, was created by commies. The ACLU is one of the most vile organizations in this country. They are anti God, anti religion and anti American.
They should be pelted with rotten fruit at every opportunity. In fact, take some ammo with you next time you go to church.:D
Theodore -

Unfortunately, it is examples like yours above which convince me to remain godless.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Theodore said:
"In 1940, the ACLU formally barred Communists from leadership or staff positions, and would take the position that it did not want communists as members either. The board declared that it was "inappropriate for any person to serve on the governing committees of the Union or its staff, who is a member of any political organization which supports totalitarian dictatorship in any country, or who by his public declarations indicates his support of such a principle." The ACLU has been criticized by some of its later members for this policy, and in the 1960's there was an internal push to remove this prohibition."

:sarcastic

linwood

This is an ignorant comment.
The ACLU constantly defends the rights of any and all religions and religious people to worship freely.
They do this by upholding the laws and policies of the American government even when the American government would rather ignore or directly break them.
This would seem to go directly against your charge of communism and anti-Americanism.

Contrary to the hysterically overblown view so common on the religious right (a view intentionally planted there by frauds and hucksters like Pat Robertson), the ACLU regularly goes to court to defend Christian churches and organizations.
http://www.stcynic.com/blog/archives/2005/01/aclu_defending.php
Hell the ACLU even defended Falwell...successfully.
If that isn`t the ultimate in irony I don`t know what is.
It`s also a powerful statement of their lack of discrimination.
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2001/11/28/falwell_aclu/
http://www.aclu.org/ReligiousLiberty/ReligiousLiberty.cfm?ID=10147&c=142

The ACLu defneds churches and their land.
http://www.aclu.org/ReligiousLiberty/ReligiousLiberty.cfm?ID=16295&c=142

I could literally do this all day, just go Google "ACLU defends Christians" and hundreds of hits come up.

The ACLU is a defender of our freedoms, perhaps the greatest defender of our freedoms.