• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand Recognizes Animals as Sentient

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's nice it has been acknowledged but it is only a statement of the obvious. "This being has a central nervous system, do we think it might be sentient? Gosh that's a tough one."
What will the practical effects in NZ society be? I'm guessing sheep farming isn't about to be made illegal.
What about the US? The country first of all needs a leader that is sentient.
We don't have any from either side.

Twilight Hue

My argument still stands. Infect and isolate, just like we would do to a lab animal. What makes it worse to do to a person, moreso then say a cat or dog? They feel love, pain, fear, and are empathetic, inasmuch as we are.
That would be sapience, not sentience.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That would be sapience, not sentience.

I think I was using the term correctly.

"The main difference between Sentience and Sapience is that the Sentience is a capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively and Sapience is a deep understanding of or knowledge of a subject."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I know personally I wouldn't be willing to be injected with a virus from an animal with no known vaccine, with the potential that it could kill me, just to have that virus then removed from my body and studied for the hopes of finding said vaccine.

This isn't about studying animals to see what viruses they have that are potentially dangerous to humans. This is about not testing medications, therapies, and other chemicals on non-human animals.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Neither do we collectively. We are animals ourselves at the end of the day.

We may be animals, but as a species we are able to empathise and utilize theory of mind, something no other species does (afaik), and that puts us in a unique position to preserve and protect, not ignore and/or violate.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Neither do we collectively. We are animals ourselves at the end of the day.
But we're cultural animals. We may be strongly influenced by our biological heritage, but we're not bound by it. Culture is flexible.

Last edited:

King Phenomenon

This isn't about studying animals to see what viruses they have that are potentially dangerous to humans. This is about not testing medications, therapies, and other chemicals on non-human animals.
You mean our whole conversation could've been avoided?
Irregardless, don't we do this because some medications, therapys or chemicals might be harmful to humans?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Irregardless, don't we do this because some medications, therapys or chemicals might be harmful to humans?

Yes, but it's also harmful to the animal as well. I think we need to find a more viable and ethical solution.

Bear Wild

New Zealand has officially recognized all animals as Sentient beings, and therefore should not be susceptible to thoughtless harm. This includes stopping medical and other forms of biological testing that is done on animals for the sake of humanity. Thoughts? Can we get something like this passed in the US? What will it take for the majority of society to recognize that animals are just as Sentient as we are.

New Zealand Recognizes All Animals As Sentient Beings

This is overdue and impressive at the same time. Frans de Waal in his books reviews the ridiculous conflict over this idea. This is unfortunately even more so in research in the United States which had to overcome the attitudes ingrained by people like Skinner. Despite all of the evidence in support there are still scientists who still argue against animals as sentient beings. Especially in western society there has been a desire to separate humans from all other life seeing all other life to be therefor a lack of willingness to recognize animals as sentient. It has only been recently this idea is accepted and thanks to many who took much criticism from the scientific community trying to promote this idea.

Unfortunately for the US there are huge barriers to overcome some rooted in religious attitudes, others an a intolerant conservative right wing currently with too much control. Trump reversing gains in animal protection and now opening up hunting on bear cubs! US needs to get rid of Trump if we are to have any hope.

Twilight Hue

I think I was using the term correctly.

"The main difference between Sentience and Sapience is that the Sentience is a capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively and Sapience is a deep understanding of or knowledge of a subject."
I always had the former pegged as being more of an instinctive based sentience.

Just enough for an animal to help avoid danger and find food.

I do suppose for example you could look at chimps and dolphins as something a little bit more than that so there might be some truth involving social animals in terms of sentience.

Twilight Hue

This is overdue and impressive at the same time. Frans de Waal in his books reviews the ridiculous conflict over this idea. This is unfortunately even more so in research in the United States which had to overcome the attitudes ingrained by people like Skinner. Despite all of the evidence in support there are still scientists who still argue against animals as sentient beings. Especially in western society there has been a desire to separate humans from all other life seeing all other life to be therefor a lack of willingness to recognize animals as sentient. It has only been recently this idea is accepted and thanks to many who took much criticism from the scientific community trying to promote this idea.

Unfortunately for the US there are huge barriers to overcome some rooted in religious attitudes, others an a intolerant conservative right wing currently with too much control. Trump reversing gains in animal protection and now opening up hunting on bear cubs! US needs to get rid of Trump if we are to have any hope.
Other animals in nature do the exact same thing. What makes things different with humans?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
New Zealand has officially recognized all animals as Sentient beings, and therefore should not be susceptible to thoughtless harm. This includes stopping medical and other forms of biological testing that is done on animals for the sake of humanity. Thoughts? Can we get something like this passed in the US? What will it take for the majority of society to recognize that animals are just as Sentient as we are.

New Zealand Recognizes All Animals As Sentient Beings
Most kinds of cruelty to animals is illegal here in USA. I think of all creatures the worst treated (here) are probably fowls and pigs, but there are regulations stipulating what is or is not allowed.

Bear Wild

How will angling be affected?
If you read the amendments to the original Animal Welfare act you find it is about the mistreatment of animals rather than a ban on all hunting and fishing. The statement is you need to have respect for what you hunt and fish for as an organism that is sentient and be responsible.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. We exploit the powerless to benefit the powerful. Might makes right. Self interest trumps the Golden Rule.

Twilight Hue

We may be animals, but as a species we are able to empathise and utilize theory of mind, something no other species does (afaik), and that puts us in a unique position to preserve and protect, not ignore and/or violate.
Being an apex predator, I would say that it could be construed as a natural checks and balances by giving us these types of feelings so we don't destroy every living thing on the planet.

You're right we do have a higher utility made possible by our developed brains.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Historically, tribal, racial or national exploitation tends to persist until a less exploitative alternative becomes viable; I expect special (in the Darwinian sense) exploitation will be no different.