• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand Recognizes Animals as Sentient

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
New Zealand has officially recognized all animals as Sentient beings, and therefore should not be susceptible to thoughtless harm. This includes stopping medical and other forms of biological testing that is done on animals for the sake of humanity. Thoughts? Can we get something like this passed in the US? What will it take for the majority of society to recognize that animals are just as Sentient as we are.

New Zealand Recognizes All Animals As Sentient Beings

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
New Zealand has officially recognized all animals as Sentient beings, and therefore should not be susceptible to thoughtless harm. This includes stopping medical and other forms of biological testing that is done on animals for the sake of humanity. Thoughts? Can we get something like this passed in the US? What will it take for the majority of society to recognize that animals are just as Sentient as we are.

I've lived in New Zealand,I'll be going back when they open the borders again,the dairy industry there was cruel with calves,it's a little bit better now but this is good news,this should be standard for the world imo.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's nice it has been acknowledged but it is only a statement of the obvious. "This being has a central nervous system, do we think it might be sentient? Gosh that's a tough one."
What will the practical effects in NZ society be? I'm guessing sheep farming isn't about to be made illegal.
What about the US? The country first of all needs a leader that is sentient.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member

How will angling be affected?

King Phenomenon

Well it's probably good that we test animals for viruses and stuff so we can develop vaccines

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well it's probably good that we test animals for viruses and stuff so we can develop vaccines

Why not test on people instead. Something that can consciously decide whether or not the risks are worth it?

Edit: Or death row inmates, since we have already deemed their lives as irredeemable, apparently?

King Phenomenon

Why not test on people instead. Something that can consciously decide whether or not the risks are worth it?

Edit: Or death row inmates, since we have already deemed their lives as irredeemable, apparently?
Well I was talking about viruses that havent nfected the human population but that possibly could

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These days economic interests seem to predominate. If there's no profit in kindness or compassion, they're unlikely to be factors in any US legislative initiatives.

King Phenomenon

I get the impression you're focusing only on our own species' benefit. How about the animals? Are their interests something to be considered, or does might make right?
I really love animals I think they're great however I do love my family members more. It doesn't make them less than. It's just two different things. if a family member died from a virus from an animal and possibly could have been saved by studying animals I think that's a good thing

King Phenomenon

If we infect a human with a virus and They die then it's probably not a good idea.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well I was talking about viruses that havent nfected the human population but that possibly could

If we infect a human with a virus and They die. it's probably not a good idea

My argument still stands. Infect and isolate, just like we would do to a lab animal. What makes it worse to do to a person, moreso then say a cat or dog? They feel love, pain, fear, and are empathetic, inasmuch as we are.

King Phenomenon

My argument still stands. Infect and isolate, just like we would do to a lab animal. What makes it worse to do to a person, moreso then say a cat or dog? They feel love, pain, fear, and are empathetic, inasmuch as we are.
Well I can't speak for the majority of people but personally speaking I do love human beings more than I love animals. Maybe that's the majority of peoples reasoning as to why they test animals and not humans. Idk. I mean it would be great if we didn't have to test viruses at all but unfortunately I think we might have to

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I love it! Way to go, New Zealand!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well I can't speak for the majority of people but personally speaking I do love human beings more than I love animals. Maybe that's the majority of peoples reasoning as to why they test animals and not humans. Idk. I mean it would be great if we didn't have to test viruses at all but unfortunately I think we might have to

I agree with it's necessity. I disagree with our application and testing. Test on the willing. Not on the innocent.

King Phenomenon

I agree with it's necessity. I disagree with our application and testing. Test on the willing. Not on the innocent.
I know personally I wouldn't be willing to be injected with a virus from an animal with no known vaccine, with the potential that it could kill me, just to have that virus then removed from my body and studied for the hopes of finding said vaccine.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People naturally love their own tribe more than "The Other." This sentiment was useful at one time. It got us through the Pleistocene.

But with larger aggregations of humans, and, eventually, diverse civilizations, such tribalism becomes problematic. Co-operation rather than competition or conflict becomes the most propitious approach. Many religions emphasize multicultural brotherhood, but the tribalism continues. It's hard-wired, and a powerless Other is particularly vulnerable.

Feeling compassion for The Other is a recent and uncommon anthropological trait, like lactase persistence. In my opinion it's the cornerstone of moral development. The wider the circle of moral consideration, the greater the moral development: family - community - race - country - species; it's a moral evolution.

This cosmopolitanism is often vigorously opposed by economic and political interests, though. "Eat your neighbor" and "hate your enemy" are profitable to many.

King Phenomenon

People naturally love their own tribe more than "The Other." This sentiment was useful at one time. It got us through the Pleistocene.

But with larger aggregations of humans, and, eventually, diverse civilizations, such tribalism becomes problematic. Co-operation rather than competition or conflict becomes the most propitious approach. Many religions emphasize multicultural brotherhood, but the tribalism continues. It's hard-wired, and a powerless Other is particularly vulnerable.

Feeling compassion for The Other is a recent and uncommon anthropological trait, like lactase persistence. In my opinion it's the cornerstone of moral development. The wider the circle of moral consideration, the greater the moral development: family - community - race - country - species; it's a moral evolution.

This cosmopolitanism is often vigorously opposed by economic and political interests, though. "Eat your neighbor" and "hate your enemy" are profitable to many.
I don't think the fact that somebody loves their son more than let's say a bat being tested for a virus qualifies as being tribalistic, but I respect your opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm sure the animals will be happy to comply themselves.