• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand, coronavirus and elections

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As the pandemic rolls on and an election in the USA is less than two weeks away, we’ve just had our 3 yearly election in New Zealand. We’re having occasional community cases of coronavirus but remain largely COVID free.

We had a small outbreak of COVID a couple of months back but have largely eliminated it from our community thanks to high rates of testing, robust tracing systems, the use of masks, judicious physical distancing and good hygiene practices. We’re hopeful of a vaccine next year.

The government have done a great job of managing our country’s response to the pandemic so its no surprise they won the election with a landslide victory. Both leaders of our major political parties are woman and were evenly matched in debates leading up to the election. Our new parliament is well represented with about 48% women and the inclusion of multiple ethnicities. There’s more young people and the rainbow community are well represented.

Election 2020: 'Historical high' - New Zealand Parliament readies for more diversity

Our Prime Minister, Jacinda Adern was just 37 years old when she became prime minister 3 years ago. She’s had a great deal of positive attention from the international media.

I’m not aligned to any political party but thought the running of free and fair elections, the inclusion of more women in parliament, greater diversity and being coronavirus free were all worth mentioning.

Thanks for listening :D

Nimos

As the pandemic rolls on and an election in the USA is less than two weeks away, we’ve just had our 3 yearly election in New Zealand. We’re having occasional community cases of coronavirus but remain largely COVID free.

We had a small outbreak of COVID a couple of months back but have largely eliminated it from our community thanks to high rates of testing, robust tracing systems, the use of masks, judicious physical distancing and good hygiene practices. We’re hopeful of a vaccine next year.

The government have done a great job of managing our country’s response to the pandemic so its no surprise they won the election with a landslide victory. Both leaders of our major political parties are woman and were evenly matched in debates leading up to the election. Our new parliament is well represented with about 48% women and the inclusion of multiple ethnicities. There’s more young people and the rainbow community are well represented.

Election 2020: 'Historical high' - New Zealand Parliament readies for more diversity

Our Prime Minister, Jacinda Adern was just 37 years old when she became prime minister 3 years ago. She’s had a great deal of positive attention from the international media.

I’m not aligned to any political party but thought the running of free and fair elections, the inclusion of more women in parliament, greater diversity and being coronavirus free were all worth mentioning.

Even though my country (Denmark) is not on a complete lockdown as in the beginning. It actually feels worse compared to before I think, in regards to the rules. A lot of businesses are now open again, but have to close early, we have rules for wearing masks in public places get implementing in a few days, which weren't the case before, except in public transportation, which got added not long ago. They are now also reducing the amount of people that can be gathered at one place, from 50 to 10 people.

And also the amount of people getting infected are at a record high. So it doesn't look to good here and I actually think we are doing rather well compared to a lot of other countries.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

If I show up on your shores in a rowboat pleading to be running from malicious and deadly insanity will you take me in?:p

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Even though my country (Denmark) is not on a complete lockdown as in the beginning. It actually feels worse compared to before I think, in regards to the rules. A lot of businesses are now open again, but have to close early, we have rules for wearing masks in public places get implementing in a few days, which weren't the case before, except in public transportation, which got added not long ago. They are now also reducing the amount of people that can be gathered at one place, from 50 to 10 people.

And also the amount of people getting infected are at a record high. So it doesn't look to good here and I actually think we are doing rather well compared to a lot of other countries.

Its tough going for us all, and we had a period of lockdown for about 7-8 weeks during the first outbreak. As a small island nation of about 5 million, tourism is a major part of our economy. We had about 4 million visitors last year so our economy has taken a big hit with a 12% decline in GDP for the quarter ending June. On the other hand its hard to travel overseas so domestic tourism has surged.

Unemployment has of course risen and its predominantly women who are affected and some ethnic minorities.

Denmark and New Zealand have much in common with similar size population and being socially progressive and economically prosperous. New Zealand has an advantage of being an island nation so its easier to control our borders and minimise the spread of coronavirus from travellers.

Its good to hear from you and to know how its going in Denmark.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm close enough to both New Zealand and some New Zealanders to know there are actual issues in NZ, and not everything is roses, despite international media coverage sometimes suggesting it is.

But...

I think the overall health of NZ in terms of being a functioning democracy, which has at least partly avoided ridiculous levels of partisan politics is envy-worthy.

Nimos

Its tough going for us all, and we had a period of lockdown for about 7-8 weeks during the first outbreak. As a small island nation of about 5 million, tourism is a major part of our economy. We had about 4 million visitors last year so our economy has taken a big hit with a 12% decline in GDP for the quarter ending June. On the other hand its hard to travel overseas so domestic tourism has surged.

Unemployment has of course risen and its predominantly women who are affected and some ethnic minorities.

Denmark and New Zealand have much in common with similar size population and being socially progressive and economically prosperous. New Zealand has an advantage of being an island nation so its easier to control our borders and minimise the spread of coronavirus from travellers.

Its good to hear from you and to know how its going in Denmark.
Yeah I think you are right, I don't think tourism is a important for Denmark as it is for New Zealand, but those that do make a living from it, were extremely concerned obviously. But from what I could understand it actually had been one of the best years ever as the Danes went on vacation here in the country instead :D
Without knowing it for certain, I don't think the unemployment have skyrocketed here, the companies and people were very efficient at making a transition to working from home. A lot more smooth than I would have guessed at least. We as you are not completely an island. But its somewhat easy for us to close the border to Germany as that is our only "solid" neighbors, so that makes it a lot easier.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Adrian rated your post “funny.” I think that’s a no.
But, they got big guns, and fake stuff they make in a lab and call food, and they love deadly diseases so much they wish to see Covid flourish and thrive as they close needle exchange clinics so HIV can be more free to roam the lands and will allow parents to not vaccinate their kids so can have their old pals, polio and measles, back. They're nuts! And their insanity is trying to kill (or maybe it's their super angry god they always threaten people with who will kill me?). A quarter-million of their own die and they say we're doing just fine and to bring on more covid.
Save me! Save me! Save me! Save me!:D

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
But, they got big guns, and fake stuff they make in a lab and call food, and they love deadly diseases so much they wish to see Covid flourish and thrive as they close needle exchange clinics so HIV can be more free to roam the lands and will allow parents to not vaccinate their kids so can have their old pals, polio and measles, back. They're nuts! And their insanity is trying to kill (or maybe it's their super angry god they always threaten people with who will kill me?). A quarter-million of their own die and they say we're doing just fine and to bring on more covid.
Grief! You need to GET OUTTA THERE! FLEE TO THE CANADIAN MOUNTAINS!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
No, seriously....I’ve never seen so many uncaring people! They’re looking at this as if it’s not real....but the death toll speaks loud.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Grief! You need to GET OUTTA THERE! FLEE TO THE CANADIAN MOUNTAINS!
But they have lots of cold and snow and don't have Middle Earth.
No, seriously....I’ve never seen so many uncaring people! They’re looking at this as if it’s not real....but the death toll speaks loud.
I haven't been this shocked by American behavior since Timothy McVeigh shattered my young, naive, concentrated-propaganda infused ultra patriotism. And if I wasn't already so jaded, I'd probably be more shocked this time around because it's the entire country not giving a damn, killing thousands times more of their own than the man who taught me even an American hero can do terribly wicked things.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm close enough to both New Zealand and some New Zealanders to know there are actual issues in NZ, and not everything is roses, despite international media coverage sometimes suggesting it is.

But...

I think the overall health of NZ in terms of being a functioning democracy, which has at least partly avoided ridiculous levels of partisan politics is envy-worthy.

I certainly wouldn’t present New Zealand as a utopia and Australia is another country that’s does well on most indexes of social and economic development. There’s certainly opportunities in Australia that cause many of our most capable citizens to cross the ditch.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am quite envious of NZ politics at the moment but we don't do so bad with representation of sex, gender and race, just so long as you are a french citizen you are free to run for office.

Our local elections were in march, the format is round one all candidates run. For round two held two weeks later only the two candidates with the highest votes run.

Unfortunately, in the interim period the lockdown was announced and round two was called off.

Depending on the reduction in the disease by area and apparently several other factors a choice was made at department admin level whether to hold the second round after lockdown or retain the same maire and council for at least another year.

Lockdown was lifted, one of the factors was how well the council had done for its area. Our maire and council have done a really good job and have been retained for another year.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am quite envious of NZ politics at the moment but we don't do so bad with representation of sex, gender and race, just so long as you are a french citizen you are free to run for office.

Our local elections were in march, the format is round one all candidates run. For round two held two weeks later only the two candidates with the highest votes run.

Unfortunately, in the interim period the lockdown was announced and round two was called off.

Depending on the reduction in the disease by area and apparently several other factors a choice was made at department admin level whether to hold the second round after lockdown or retain the same maire and council for at least another year.

Lockdown was lifted, one of the factors was how well the council had done for its area. Our maire and council have done a really good job and have been retained for another year.

Well Christine, I had no idea you were French. That is just way cooler than anything the antipodes has to offer. You have a beautiful language and culture for which there’s no peer. I heard the numbers of coronavirus cases was on the rise though. How are you holding out?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well Christine, I had no idea you were French. That is just way cooler than anything the antipodes has to offer. You have a beautiful language and culture for which there’s no peer. I heard the numbers of coronavirus cases was on the rise though. How are you holding out?

I am british, i just live in france.

The language is nice for sure but very odd in places. I hsve found myself thinking in french recently.

Coronavirus is bad in some areas, paris, marselles and, i think six or seven other areas. There are very tight restrictions on travel and gatherings with a curfew imposed.

About half the country is modetately effected.

Where we live (dordogne) its not an issue but masks, social distancing etc are a must to help keep the virus at bay