• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Tibetan Book of the Dead

sandhill

My own introduction to Vajrayana Buddhism began with the Tibetan Book of the Dead as edited by Evans-Wentz back in the 1920's, published by Oxford. It was an incredible aesthetic experience to read that book. I found it during my first year at College. The work had been translated by one Lama Kazi Dawa Sumdup back around 1919.

Since then there have been several more translations, but all in all, nothing significant.

Now as it turns out, the Tibetan Book of the Dead that was translated consisted of only three chapters from the original Terma by Guru Padmasambhava. And at this time, Harper has brought out the full translation. It was translated by a Nyingma Lama by the name of Gyurme Dorje. A number of other Lamas were involved in the translation effort. And the chief of the publishing team, one Graham Coleman, received the formal transmission of the text from the late Dilgo Khyenste Rimpoche, along with a four week commentary by Dilgo Khyenste.

I just bought the new version and it totally obsoletes all previous versions.

Doktormartini

小虎
Hi! What is this book actually about? I have a copy of it at home and I am thinking of reading it...but does it basically talk about what is supposed to happen when you die? Like with the afterlife and stuff? Thank you very much.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Greetings, everyone. My first post here...........I've been lurking for a few weeks already.

Doktormartini (great moniker, BTW), it's what you mentioned, but it isn't like a book that tells what is "supposed" to happen when you die, but a guidebook for the recently departed. Many beings are disoriented when death occurs, and Padmadambhava spelled out what awaits, how to respond to it, and how one can attain liberation within the bardos.

If a being does not attain liberation in the bardos, one is counseled on which womb to pick for a complementary re-birth. The goal here is to pick the best opportunities to renounce worldly attachments.

I hope that answers your question. I'd recommend reading the book.

There is also a book out (although I haven't read it nor do I remember who is the author) called, "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying." I'd only thumbed through it in the bookstore a couple of times, but I believe it to be an invaluable piece of literature for hospice organizations and family members who are tending to a loved one with a terminal illness. Has anyone read this book, or is familiar with it in any way?

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thanks, Paul. I need to browse the welcome section on this forum to fully grasp the concept of "frubals.":jiggy:

I'll check those links you've provided at a later time. Ta-ta!

Peace,
Mystic

As the Tibetan Book of the Dead is a manual, a better book to read about Tibetan Buddhism is Soygal Rinpoche's A Tibetan Book on Living and Dying. It helps to explain more about the beliefs and practices contained in Tibetan Buddhism.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sinks Canyon said:
As the Tibetan Book of the Dead is a manual, a better book to read about Tibetan Buddhism is Soygal Rinpoche's A Tibetan Book on Living and Dying. It helps to explain more about the beliefs and practices contained in Tibetan Buddhism.

I have that book. It's an astounding and beautiful take on how we should approach death and dying - whether it is us or someone we know and love. Excellent recommendation!

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sinks Canyon said:
Thank you Mystic Sang"ha. I apologize for the delay in acknowledgement.

I am humbled by your knowledge of buddhism.

Oh, my..... *blush* .......thank you, Sinks Canyon.....honestly I feel as if I am barely scratching the surface with my knowledge and with my practice. Your apology is accepted, although I did not feel slighted in any way.

*dons best NYC accent* Fuh-get about it. :flower:

Your comment about my knowledge has humbled me in return. That was very generous of you. :foryou:

Peace,
Mystic

You made me smile. It's a gift to do that in life. It's a way of life, IMHO, to be able to do that over a computer.

I am learning much, as well. I have focused a lot on death and it has helped me live. I at first found the concept from Soygal Rinpoche in The Tibetan Book on Living and Dying frightening..to imagine your death...but then I became more and more relaxed with it. It lets me know nothing is permanent and that all things do indeed change except impermanency. I know that my life has to be dedicated to finding the truth and peeling back the layers of deception. Sometimes, I feel like a stranger in this planet. Sometimes I feel as though I am not part of this human race. Do you feel like that the further you go in your meditations? By that, I mean that I do not find attractions to things of this world as others do. I love to vacation in places where the scenery is beautiful or around animals.

I am probably not making sense. I have to go to bed.

Thank you again for the smile. And thank you for the discussion. I have yearned to talk with this with someone else who is on a path.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sinks Canyon said:
You made me smile. It's a gift to do that in life. It's a way of life, IMHO, to be able to do that over a computer.

I am learning much, as well. I have focused a lot on death and it has helped me live. I at first found the concept from Soygal Rinpoche in The Tibetan Book on Living and Dying frightening..to imagine your death...but then I became more and more relaxed with it. It lets me know nothing is permanent and that all things do indeed change except impermanency. I know that my life has to be dedicated to finding the truth and peeling back the layers of deception. Sometimes, I feel like a stranger in this planet. Sometimes I feel as though I am not part of this human race. Do you feel like that the further you go in your meditations? By that, I mean that I do not find attractions to things of this world as others do. I love to vacation in places where the scenery is beautiful or around animals.

I am probably not making sense. I have to go to bed.

Thank you again for the smile. And thank you for the discussion. I have yearned to talk with this with someone else who is on a path.

I can respond to you and to Paul (hey, brah!) at the same time. I used to feel like an "alien" in reference to my relationships with others before I began practicing, and the more that I practice, I feel very much attuned to others and knowledgable of our similarities.

If I were to feel like I were somewhat different than others, I would worry that I'd be susceptible to undue and harsh judgmentalism. Therefore, one of my practices is to visualize someone to my right that I feel an attraction for and consider dear to my heart; I then visualize someone to my left that I have felt a disdain for and would consider an adversary (this could also be someone who I think has terrible morals); I then visualize a complete stranger in front of me (I try to remember who I saw at the bank, or the drive-thru, or in the car next to me, etc.)...............and then I offer sentiments of loving kindness and compassion to all of them. The challenge is for me to offer loving kindness with the same genuine motivation to each person.

When I have achieved that, I feel that there is no difference between all of them except my perception of them. That makes me feel better.

That is very much a Mahayana view of ethics, meditation, and compassion. But, the individual liberation feels very much like I am not of this world..........and quite "alien." I can carry on with my day in my carefully constructed perception of reality, and suddenly the universe reminds me that I have become too attached to my perception. Suddenly, I'm thrown into what feels like an abyss where I don't know which way is up and I can't grasp on to anything.

As Paul suggested, stripping away attachments to concepts and to our routines can terrify us.......myself included. In the Vajrayana view, the universe does not compromise with us when we are seeking enlightenment. It is cruel (seemingly) when it strips away our false senses of security. What we have considered real actually is not, and this is where the journey really begins to get interesting. :)

Paul has had more experience with meditation and these studies than I, so consider that since he feels like he's barely scratching the surface, in comparison I feel like I've just found the surface and have pointed at it. :D

But, discovering the surface has proven to be such a powerful and life-affirming experience so far.

I have almost finished the second book in Reginald Ray's series on Tibetan Buddhism that discusses the secrets of Tantra (which goes far beyond the popularized sex techniques), and there is a story in the appendix that is told by Dr. Mitchell Levy of the death of His Holiness the sixteenth Karmapa in Zion, Illinois. The doctor and the nursing staff in ICU had been very used to the signs and the sequence of death in our western culture, but Dr. Levy discussed how His Holiness shattered all of their attitudes and perceptions on the process of death.

He just kept dying and coming back, dying and coming back, dying and coming back........at will. And even though he had all the signs of imminent death, he not once showed suffering or pain. He could be vomiting up blood and could have severe difficulty breathing while his lungs were failing, and he would still radiate this boundless compassion and kindness toward his students, the ICU staff, and Dr. Levy.

When he finally did die, Trungpa Rinpoche, who was there, encouraged Dr. Levy to come into the room and feel the warmth over the heart of His Holiness. The doctor did so, and felt it. He warmed up his own hands, hovered his hand across to each side of the ribs, and then went back to the heart. There, above his heart, was His Holiness, and the doctor was told that he is in samadhi. He is not to be disturbed.

I could go on and on about this story, because there is much more, but I encourage anyone to read it. The book is called, "Secrets of the Varya World" by Reginald Ray. Dr. Levy's story is hugely inspiring and beautiful.

We are discouraged in our culture to talk about death, and especially OUR death, even though in the end we all will take that path. I have started to become more convinced that our culture's preoccupation with sex and violence pales in comparison to our neurotic behavior that sorely attempts to shield us from the reality of death.

Sogyal Rinpoche infers that we should always be prepared to die, because 1) it will happen, and 2) because we don't know when it will be our time. The Tibetan Book of the Dead showed me to consider every time I wake up, or walk out the door, or greet my husband when he comes home, etc. that I should ask myself the question, If I were to die today, how should I live?

Asking that question and continuing contemplating it always brings me back to the immediacy of the moment and to have greater appreciation for what is in front of me. Death should ideally not be a scary topic to discuss. It should be one as a base for a feeling of liberation.

Peace,
Mystic

I truly appreciate your pointing out the meditation you do with regard to all persons considered the same. Indeed, in my own failings, i have focused on my perceptions of my relationship to others instead of how I am related to all others. I will do that contemplations of three persons and hopefully it will move me forward in my thoughts of belonging to the interconnectedness of everything...

thank you , as always.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
The Bardo practice of Tibetean Budhhist is for a dying person well versed in meditation. It is significant to understand that Death and Birth are interrelated and normally every person is unconciopus while dying and so does not experience death and so is born unconcious having died in that state.
If one where to experience death by dying conciously then the next birth is also concious and is said to be the last birth as the person is supposed to have conqured death.
In this practice of Bardo the individual at the time of death is ofcourse in a meditative state and leaves the body conciously but the soul still identifies with the dead body. The soul is instructed in this practice to see the body being taken to the creamation ground and the soul must watch the body turning to ashes and know that the body the last bastion of the soul is also seperate from the self/soul etc. The soul is suppossed to be given further instructions on what to expect and what not too after death.
This kind of soul is then well prepared for the next journey and waits for a suitable womb as it has the liberty to choose where it would like to take his final life which should have the congenial environment for his freedom.
Love & rgds

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying changed my life and encouraged me to get involved as a volunteer spiritual counselor here in town as well as investigating my chances of helping families in hospice care.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying changed my life and encouraged me to get involved as a volunteer spiritual counselor here in town as well as investigating my chances of helping families in hospice care.

Brilliant piece of work. It's one of the most requested books in our sang'ha library.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Dude nails it sentence after sentence. Reading it feels like touching a live wire, as it pulses gems of wisdom thought my ocular senses and transforms into my Life.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I may stick my nose in here a sec I just wanted to say I enjoy reading and listening to many of Sogyal Rinpoche's writings and lectures Including The Book of the Living and Dying. I was mostly keen on his personal biography, and greatly enjoyed his performance in the film Little Buddha. -NM-

Mr Orange

Meditate

I have lots of Buddhist Lit, yet i do not own this book ''Book of Living and Dying' I do however own the Book of the Dead. I am sure i will purchase this book soon.

The Book Of The Dead, has powerful meaning and i advise people to read this.

Blessings and Peace to all Buddhists and nations. :flower:

Big John

In addition to reading about the process, I'd like to encourage all who are interested to participate in a Phowa transmission by an authentic Lama.

Cheers,

-bigJ