• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New study: atheists just as healthy/happy as religionists

Audie

Veteran Member
I think the local chapter of American Atheists had some kind of monthly gathering at a local coffee shop, but it was just people gathering for coffee, breakfast, and talk. Sometimes they'd have guest speakers. I think they had Satan come in one time to give a talk.
That was me. I come in different sizes, n
guises, to suit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Waaa, more savage short- shaming.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened!

Hee yah!
We send you around the world
China airline economy class you
be known as new folded man ever afters.
I hate air travel.
Even 1st class (which happens accidentally on rare occasions).
Goodness...you're looking tall today!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's true that many atheists not only dislike the idea of religion but the concept of religious activity too. So the vast majority of atheists tend to side on individualism as well. Chances are however there are times that most people want to be involved in some social activities, and now that there is starting to be a vacuum of activity left by the skeptics some seek out to find something greater than them - it just doesn't include God. 0.1% is a bit low, don't you think? At least a few percent of atheists have joined a science or skeptics community.

One thing that I've noted in recent decades is that there is an overall decline in community organizations overall, such as Kiwanis, Rotary Club, and other such social and service organizations. Church membership appears to be in decline as well. There are some atheists who have organized, but that doesn't mean that most atheists would join up. Even here on RF, there's very little activity in the Atheism DIR forum.

I'm not sure why that is, although when you think about it, I guess there isn't a heck of a lot to talk about among atheists. There is no "god" to talk about. There might be a certain degree of political alignment on some issues, but it's not something where there would appear to be any need for a weekly meeting. Some religions might need to hold some sort of weekly gathering to proclaim and reaffirm their belief, but atheists don't really need to do that. What's the point of going to a weekly meeting to proclaim one's non-belief?

I might attend the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but only because there's spaghetti.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's true that many atheists not only dislike the idea of religion but the concept of religious activity too. So the vast majority of atheists tend to side on individualism as well. Chances are however there are times that most people want to be involved in some social activities, and now that there is starting to be a vacuum of activity left by the skeptics some seek out to find something greater than them - it just doesn't include God. 0.1% is a bit low, don't you think? At least a few percent of atheists have joined a science or skeptics community.
0.01 is more likely.

Science attracts people of all faiths
or freedom thereof.
A few nut cases who would not be welcome
anyway are anti knowledge.

Audie

Veteran Member
One thing that I've noted in recent decades is that there is an overall decline in community organizations overall, such as Kiwanis, Rotary Club, and other such social and service organizations. Church membership appears to be in decline as well. There are some atheists who have organized, but that doesn't mean that most atheists would join up. Even here on RF, there's very little activity in the Atheism DIR forum.

I'm not sure why that is, although when you think about it, I guess there isn't a heck of a lot to talk about among atheists. There is no "god" to talk about. There might be a certain degree of political alignment on some issues, but it's not something where there would appear to be any need for a weekly meeting. Some religions might need to hold some sort of weekly gathering to proclaim and reaffirm their belief, but atheists don't really need to do that. What's the point of going to a weekly meeting to proclaim one's non-belief?

I might attend the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but only because there's spaghetti.
Asian are puzzled by noodles with
meat balls and tomatoes.