• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Religious movements vs Mainstrean Religions

emmalross

How far do new religious movements really differ from the mainstream religions? what makes it a religion? if its new how long does it take before it can be considered 'old' or recognized?who decides?

MSizer

MSizer
There is no formal graduation that I know of. NRMs are generally small time. Some of them come and go, some are associated with atrocity tales. I think most tend to stay small because there are enough major religions and sects within them to suit the taste of most people who desire to lead a religious life.

I think Moonies and their crazy mass weddings have been around long enough though that we should stop calling them an NRM.

byenvidnasi

Generally scholars of religious movements came up with the term because 'cult' was being thrown around willy-nilly. I think the commonly accepted period of time for a new religious movement to graduate into full religion status is over two-hundred years. For example, the Baha'i Religion is considered a new religious movement, but Sikhs are considered to be an established religion.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Most new age religions seem like more of the same to me. Most of them I've studied seem like Buddhism or Christian Mysticism rehashed.

Rhizomatic

Vaguely (Post)Postmodern
How far do new religious movements really differ from the mainstream religions?
That depends entirely upon the individual NRM in discussion. There are plenty that, in various ways, are radically different from dominant religious traditions, and there are plenty that take very familiar forms.

what makes it a religion?
The same characteristics that make any religion a religion. Of course, there is no accepted definition for the term "religion" in religious studies, so exactly what those characteristics are is a matter of debate and/or personal preference. I use interaction with a sacred reality as my litmus test.

if its new how long does it take before it can be considered 'old' or recognized?who decides?
It's by no means a formalized process, or even a unified one. Mormonism is often cited as an example of one of the most purely American new religious movements, but others would deny that it is an NRM at all at this point.

xkatz

How far do new religious movements really differ from the mainstream religions? what makes it a religion? if its new how long does it take before it can be considered 'old' or recognized?who decides?

There are some differences. Many, if not most of the NRM's have formal institutions (ie Church of Scientology, Church of Satan, Temple of Set), whereas many other beliefs don't have these institutions. Unfortunately, some (such as Church of Scientology and Master Path) are more or less out to get your wallet, although I cannot say this is fact. It will take a while for an NRM to be considered "old" or recognized although many may never be recognized since they are so small and I doubt they will undergo rapid growth like most mainstream religions have. Also, many people accuse NRM's of being cults (which is not always true), thus hurting their reputations. I cannot say "who decides".

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path

Some interesting questions...I will answer to the best of my perception.

I really see no difference among religions, as they all have one common goal. To gain power.

A religion is basically being a Thiest...? I don't know of any religions that don't believe in Athiesm besides Athiesm or LaVeyan Satanists.

Well for it to be recognized people would have to know of it. Take Satanism for example, it may be recognized because people know of it, but people know nothing of what it is.

Rhizomatic

Vaguely (Post)Postmodern
A religion is basically being a Thiest...? I don't know of any religions that don't believe in Athiesm besides Athiesm or LaVeyan Satanists.
Did you mean that you don't know of atheist religions besides LaVeyan Satanism/ atheism (if so, try various manifestations of Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Taoism, Confucianism, Falun Gong, Thelema, NeoPaganism, Scientology, Discordianism, and, of course, Jediism)?

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Did you mean that you don't know of atheist religions besides LaVeyan Satanism/ atheism (if so, try various manifestations of Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Taoism, Confucianism, Falun Gong, Thelema, NeoPaganism, Scientology, Discordianism, and, of course, Jediism)?

Why thank you :D. From what I know of some of them they are all a bunch of funny guys :drool:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I make no apologies for this, but this is what I think about the "Church of Scientology" - :biglaugh:

Last edited: