• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Poll: Majority of Europeans Polled in Ten Countries Would Support a Trump-Style Ban

Kirran

Premium Member
The wars definitely didn't help, but I think the argument that this issue might not even need to be discussed if it weren't for them is fundamentally incorrect. Let's not forget that the U.S. didn't invade Syria either.

True, although the destabilisation of Iraq has no doubt been a big contributor to the emergence of Daesh to such a position of power. Not that that especially relates to the other rebel groups, of course. Sponsoring of regimes such as KSA's by Western governments is more damaging, IMO.

Knocking out Gaddafi in the way they did has kind of screwed Libya up.

Does Egypt receive a lot of Libyan refugees?

But yeah, many of the migrants are from West Africa too.

Kirran

Premium Member
Not to my knowledge. I also suspect that Egypt probably isn't one of the primary destinations many refugees would choose if they had somewhere else to try for.

Figures. There are quite a lot of Sudanese though, I think? A fair few of them because they wanna move on to Israel but still. In Libya, I can see how Europe would be rather more appealing. Or even Tunisia or somewhere.

Aren't you a refugee to Egypt??

Not sure who you're talking to. I'm not, to narrow it down by one.

Kirran

Premium Member
Debater is I think from Lebanon, living in Egypt.

Also, if he was a Lebanese person living in Egypt, that wouldn't necessarily mean he was a refugee.The vast majority of people living outside their countries of birth aren't refugees. My dad isn't an Argentine refugee, even though he was born there.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Figures. There are quite a lot of Sudanese though, I think? A fair few of them because they wanna move on to Israel but still. In Libya, I can see how Europe would be rather more appealing. Or even Tunisia or somewhere.

I've seen some Sudanese people, but I don't know how many there are either. I do know that there many Yemenis, though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The bloody Egyptians, coming into Egypt and taking jobs from Egyptians. Send them back to Egypt.

I know, right? Why are so many Egyptians taking my money in Egypt? This is what happens when a country doesn't protect its jobs and fire everyone!

Kirran

Premium Member
I've seen some Sudanese people, but I don't know how many there are either. I do know that there many Yemenis, though.

The numbers I find say there are over 2 million people of Sudanese nationality living in Egypt. A few tens of thousands of these are registered refugees, and it's likely many more are in effect refugees but just haven't seen a benefit in registering as such.

Of course, this may include people who arrived in Egypt from Sudan as young children and are indistinguishable from the general Egyptian populace.

Interesting r.e. Yemenis. Is that a longstanding phenomenon, or a recent one?

I know, right? Why are so many Egyptians taking my money in Egypt? This is what happens when a country doesn't protect its jobs and fire everyone!

Good thinking! They can't take our jobs if we don't have any *smirks*

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The numbers I find say there are over 2 million people of Sudanese nationality living in Egypt. A few tens of thousands of these are registered refugees, and it's likely many more are in effect refugees but just haven't seen a benefit in registering as such.

Of course, this may include people who arrived in Egypt from Sudan as young children and are indistinguishable from the general Egyptian populace.

Interesting r.e. Yemenis. Is that a longstanding phenomenon, or a recent one?

There were some, but the numbers have increased considerably after the unrest in Yemen during the "Arab Spring."

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there resentment towards them similarly to that common in Europe?

There's some resentment, but since it doesn't have a religious factor, I'm inclined to believe it's less than that expressed toward them by European conservatives and nationalists. It can vary, though; there are still very nasty, xenophobic individuals despite the similarity in religious beliefs.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This is an issue with many factors that are beyond any one country. This is the product of decades of corruption with so many layers that go so deep I can't even begin to pretend to have a solution. The only thing I do know is that it would take a substantial amount of resources and difficult decisions for a collection of world governments. In short, this is an enormous humanitarian crisis caused by many governments, none of which want to take on the responsibility of their choices.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The wars definitely didn't help, but I think the argument that this issue might not even need to be discussed if it weren't for them is fundamentally incorrect. Let's not forget that the U.S. didn't invade Syria either.

I think the root causes may go even further back. Or at least since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which is where a lot of our modern difficulties in the region seem to be traced back to.

The U.S. probably could have (and should have) stayed out of the region. Various European powers had been more deeply involved, though. We didn't really start to get stuck in that quagmire until after WW2.

But I suppose the larger question is whether we (the West) either directly or indirectly caused part of the problem we're facing and whether we have a moral obligation to help fix it. Do we have a moral obligation to take in refugees under those circumstances? Or is it a greater obligation to protect our country from potential terrorists, regardless of the circumstances?

To be honest, I don't really know the answer, but I don't see it as cut-and-dried as others might see it.