• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New mantra of Bhakti Marga sect

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Dear forum,
it seems that since 2020, the Bhakti Marga sect led by Swami Vishwananda with its HQ in Germany has been branding / propagating a new mantra instead of "Om Namo Narayanaya". The new mantra is "Sri Vitthala Giridhari Parabrahmane Namaha". Couldn't find a translation anywhere, so with my limited knowledge I'd go for "Salutations to parabrahman who is Sri Vitthala, the carrier of [Govardhana] Hill". Corrections much appreciated. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your translation is correct. People of Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat call Lord Vishnu as Vitthala. So, no problem there. Like Lord Jagannatha at Puri, Vithoba worship and yearly pilgrimage is very important in Maharashtra and continues from ancient times. He is also known as Panduranga.
Marathis take his name twice, like "O Vitthala, Vitthala."
The sect does not discriminate with untouchables.
Vithoba - Wikipedia
Pandharpur Wari - Wikipedia (Pandharpur pilgrimage)
pandharpur wari - Google Search (images, see this)

Sri Vithoba-Rukmani temple in Pandharpur, Vithoba idol in Pandharpur, Annual Pilgrimage, Vitthala and Rukmani.
320px-Pandharpur_Vithoba_temple.jpg
220px-Syayambhuvithoba.jpg
220px-Palkhi_2008.jpg
images

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@Aupmanyav thanks for your fast and informative reply! :greenheart: Is there a particular reason Sri Vitthala has his hands akimbo? How is Panduranga related to Vitthala? They often chant these names together.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no particular reason why Vitthala has his arms akimbo. That is an old image and the sculptor made it like that.
Lord Vishnu, Vitthala, Panduranga, Venkateshwara in Tirumala Tirupati, or more of such names like Badrinatha in Himalayas, no difference at all. Various ways in which Hindus worship Lord Vishnu. Same with Lord Shiva, Mahakala in Ujjain, Vishwanath in Varasnasi. Kedarnatha in Himalayas, Amarnath in Kashmir are all but one.
Name difference is also because of assimilation of folk deities in Vishnu, Shiva or Mother Goddess. That is a Hindu tradition. That way we did not have to cut each other's throats.

shivsomashekhar

The various names are generally an indication that local deities were eventually merged into established Vedic Gods.

For example, in South India, Tirupathi Venkatesh, Perumal and Vittoba are well known deities now equated to the Vedic Vishnu, but were independent gods, long ago.

The well known Vishnu Sahasranama (thousand names of Vishnu) was composed in the early Christian era and it does not mention the above names.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Bolaavaa Vitthal -
Composed by Sant TukArAm Maharaj, Singer in video: Shruti Patil

(BolAvA = Chant Vitthal, PahAvA = See Vitthal [everywhere], KarAvA = Let / make it so that Vitthal be/becomes the center of your heart -- JeevabhAva)
Veet = brick. Vitthal = Lord standing on a Brick

BandhanApAsUni ukalali gAThi (The knot of bondage of birth and death was burst open - setting the devotee free , by embracing Vitthal)

EDIT: @Sirona ,
Vitthal has arms on waist because He has been standing on the VeeT (brick) for 28 yugas patiently waiting for the devotee to return, but the devotee is engrossed in this world! Since He did not bring His Flute, it was a naturally comfortable pose --- just like a teacher or elder waits hands on waist , indicating a sense of urgency for the student/child to finish picking up the scattered toys and come back to them, so they can take the child "Home"
"I am waiting for you to wrap up and come back with Me",

:)

-----
PAnDuranga KAnti Diwya Tej ZaLakati
Composed by Saint DnyAneshwar Maharaj , singer : Asha Bhosle

be back with translation ....

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
PAnDuranga KAnti Diwya Tej ZaLakati
Composed by Saint DnyAneshwar Maharaj , singer : Asha Bhosle

be back with translation ....

Sant (saint) DnyAneshwar was an advaita Bramh jnani, but was simultaneously a great devotee of Krishna as evident from his numerous abhanga (bhajans to Vitthal are called abhanga).

He also brought the Bhagvad Gita to the masses (who did not know Sanskrit) by discoursing and writing a purport for it called “BhAvArtha DeepikA” commonly known as DnyAneshwari, in the then prevalent Marathi –which is now old Marathi. (12th century ) This is why Dnyaneshwar’s Gita commentary and abhanga compositions had words ending in an additional U for instance – (vedhu, dinu, ghanu, karanataku, ). He would meditate on the banks of IndrayaNi. He went into live samAdhi at the age of 21.

Meaning of this abhanga:

Panduranga has a divine brilliance around Him and His aura radiates brightness
The gems in His jewellery (such as the Kaustubh gem around His neck) also radiate brilliance
His infinite beauty (agaNita lAvaNya) and dazzling brilliance cannot be described in words (na varNAve aisechi shobhA)

That mystical mysterious actor, Vitthal, has drawn me towards Him, and I only think of Him all the time says Dnyaneshwar (yeNe maj laviyala vedhu = vedh)

(In those days, 12th century – time of Dnyaneshwar, Pandharpur which is on the KarnAtaka border, had kannad neighborhoods. This is why he calls Vitthal kAnaDa KaranAtaku but pun intended : the actual meaning of kAnadA is indescribable, or mystery and karanAtaku = kara nAtaku : kara = hands , nAtaku = actor, with a good sense of humor, or with hands akimbo).

I converse with Him without words (shabde vina saunvAdu)
There is back and forth talk but I am the only one here (duje viNa anuVadu)
How is this possible? Can’t wrap my head around this mystery
I find myself speechless ,
How can I tell you aloud ( vaikhari) in concrete words?
[4 levels of speech as explained in VedAnta:
vaikhari – grossest. Aloud.
madhyamA : mental speech
pashyanti: intuitive thought
parA: at the level of Atmic omniscience. Just know, no words]

When I went to touch His Lotus Feet out of reverence, there were no feet there
I could not even tell whether He was facing me or had His back towards me (He is everywhere omnipresent, in all directions and directionless)
I was stunned in silence

When I tried to hold Him in my arms I was alone all by myself (me chi me ekali)
And I yearned to see Him again
Then I peeked inwards, within my own heart and I finally found Him there – our Divine Father, Husband of RukmiNi (i.e. Krishna).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The various names are generally an indication that local deities were eventually merged into established Vedic Gods.
For example, in South India, Tirupathi Venkatesh, Perumal and Vittoba are well known deities now equated to the Vedic Vishnu, but were independent gods, long ago.
Yeah, that is what happened in case of Vishnu and Rudra as Shiva and the various Goddesses in India. Assimilation. I have been saying this right from the beginning when I joined this forum but many Hindus do not accept it. Now, differences are not really a problem. People are welcome to differ.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member

The well known Vishnu Sahasranama (thousand names of Vishnu) was composed in the early Christian era and it does not mention the above names.

Namaste

I will not argue about Vitthal (but a vArkari will tell you that Vittha is Dwarkadheesh Shri KRshNa who came down south first to Dindirvan from Dwarka, looking for the upset RukmiNi meditating here, because Krishna was seen with Radha (a deliberate leela Krishna wove for a purpose), went to visit Pundalik who had turned a leaf and was serving old parents, AFTER Mahabharat war, which is when Bheeshma chanted VishNusahasranama for YudhishThir in Krishna’s presence, which is why Vitthal is not a name in VishNusahasranama, , which is why Vitthal has war scars on face that He deliberately did not cure to keep Manushya leela etc.)

I will also put Venkatesh on the shelf for a few minutes.

Interim Food for Thought: At least 3 of KrishNa's ashTa mahIsI . bhArya , 8 queens (wives) were from South India and Maharashtra.
1. Rukmini (Vaidarbhi) Krishna’s principal queen (pattarANi) was Princess of Vidarbha (modern day Nagpur Maharashtra, and vicinity – note that a lot of folk songs revolve around Vitthal – Lord standing on a Brick related to RukmiNi being upset – "Rakhumai rusli na kopryAt basli, chala jau pusayala" – Rukmini is upset, fuming in a corner, let us go and ask what the matter is)
2. LakshmaNA was one of Krishna’s 8 queens from South India – Tamil desam
3. SattyA (NAgnajeeti) was the Princess, daughter of King Nagnajeet from South for whom Krishna expanded into 7 identical forms to fight 7 bulls (per contest rules).
Satya - Krishna leelas are elaborated in Sangam literature and by the ALwars as well. It seems Satya = Pinnai

Why wouldn’t these provinces have first hand detail about Krishna Leela starting Dvapar itself 3000BC? And very high levels of prema bhakti towards Him? Why wait for bhagvat puran printing press?

Now for the real part:

======================================
PERUMAL
======================================

Are you seriously thinking Perumal is a proper noun? I see a lot of South Indians saying “When did Perumal turn into Vishnu and Shiv into Rudra” but see the time-linear ignorance in these words from what follows:

Peru = Para, Param, Honored/Great/Highest .

MaaL = The dark One, the Dearest One, The Almighty One and only One…. referenced in Krishna leela poetry in Sangam and Alwar literature.

So Perumal is a title, a way of addressing the Great Respected Almighty, Bhagvan.
Thriumal, Thirupati -- Thiru = Shri , Pati = Guardian, Head
(Why is Thirumal Thirupati VenkaTesh called Balaji and Govinda? More food for thought).

And incidentally, the pre-Alwar Tamiz people, the Sangam literature community, headed by Agashthya Muni who was Dispatched by Shiv from Himalayas to TamiL NaDu, also spoke about the same VishNu as Perumal. The same Sangam also talked about Devi, Ganapati, Kartikeya-Murugan and Shiva (the Red One).

Are you telling me that

VenkaTesh Perumal =/= Varadaraaj Perumal =/= Kari Krishna Perumal =/= Lakshmi Narayan Perumal =/= Satyanarayan Perumal =/= Ranganath Perumal =/= AnantaPadmanAbh swami =/= the remaining of the 108 Divya desham Perumals =/= VishNu ?!

Surprising coming from Advaita practitioner & Ajata vadi follower of GauDapAd.

This is how the people down South addressed VishNu (all pervading Omnipresent almighty Bramh)

Varadaraaj Perumal = VishNu when He came to visit Dhruv calling His name with dvadashAkshari mantra (om namo bhagavata vAsudevAya) and MArkanDeya Rshi asking VishNu to show His mAyA and led to Damodarashtakam – Lord as a baby on banyan leaf as the only being and no universe (karara vinde paradar vindam mukhara vinde viniveshayantaM, vaTasya patrasya puTe shayAnam balam mukundam manasA smarAmi).

The same Bhagvat was written down in TamiL and Sanskrit narrating the same.

Kari Krishna Perumal is too cute, my goodness. During Chola rule, in Tamil Nadu, people observed a cow giving milk over an anthill. The curious folks took an axe and dug the ant hill. Then found a vigraha of the cutest little GopAL Krishna holding the stick and rope for herding cows, but He titled slightly on one side to prevent blows of the axe, however, one shoulder was hurt (can’t bear to write this) – so sandalwood is applied on Kari Krishna Perumal’s shoulder every day.
KariKrishNaPerumaL.jpg

(A family friend found a Tanjore Krishna on his balcony sil 10 yrs ago - adbhut!)

Consider this possibility:
5000 years from now, if the kids think that the Krishna in the 108 Temples built by A. C. Bhaktivedanta PrabhupAd is not Krishna at all, but Shyamsundar, Gopinath, Madhav, Parthasarthi, Neelmadhav, Vrundavanchandra, GokuLAnanda, Golokananda , Damodar, etc. as 108 different beings while Radha is just symbolic of the ideal devotee role and worse, none of them is really the Krishna of Bhagvat puran and Mahabharat, and worse, they are different from Vishnu and Krishna is not Vishnu!

How would the ISKCON devotees of today feel if they were told about this predicted future ignorance due to missing links in history?

From a Quora Contributor:
Perumal means an individual with a set of personality and character as i have mentioned below, Perumal is a commonly used term for a benevolent, kind and compassionate King. Lord Vishnu is considered as a emperor hence the title Maha Vishnu, else he would have been called as Sri Vishnu (Sri is a title equivalent to Sir) whereas “Maha” title is equivalent to His Highness or His Excellency.

Lord Vishnu is called Perumal for the following reasons (Perumal Meaning in Tamil)
· Person of Immense Caliber
· Who is capable of relentless work
· Who is Tenacious, Perseverant with immense patience
· Extremely charming personality
· Organized and Methodical approach
· One who enjoys contact with Public
· One who gets attracted to poetry and music
· One who is immensely romantic in nature

So, Perumal is a title again, hence we have Venkatesha Perumal, Varadaraja Perumal, Narayana Perumal etc. who are kings

@Viraja may want to throw more devotional plus historical light on this.

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
More Food For Thought continued:
1. Almost all the Perumals in the South consistently have ShriDevi (Lakshmi) & BhuDevi on their sides, who in KrishnAvtar , are RukmiNi-SatyabhAmA sameta Shri KRshNam Ashrayet)

2. We saw Kari Krishna Perumal above, basically title Mal and Perumal used for Krishna.
I read that the standing lord is austere and called Perumal and when seated, it means He has already vanquished or conquered the evil, enemy or whatever -- He is addressed as Emperuman.

Hence, the seated Shri Rama , AFTER conquering Ravan and Lankan atrocities, is called

RAma Emperuman.