• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey Homosexual Partnerships

Pah

Uber all member
I'm sure that this is satisfying at a symbolic level to some. What do poeple think about this and the mounting trend to social acceptance of homosexual marriage

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/ne...&cat=news&st=newsd83o093o1&src=ap

Gay N.J. Couples Register for Partnerships

Updated 11:00 AM ET July 10, 2004

By KRISTA LARSON

MAPLEWOOD, N.J. (AP) - Hundreds of same-sex couples gathered to register domestic partnerships on Saturday, the first day of a new law in New Jersey that gives gay partners some of the same rights as married couples.

More than 200 people attended a morning ceremony marking the law going into effect. Many arrived hours early, sitting on the municipal building's steps or on lawn chairs while filling out domestic partnership applications.

"This is a very great day in New Jersey's civil rights history," said Mayor Fred Profeta. "The civil rights achieved today are very important _ don't anyone doubt that."

Some 40 applications, which attest to the signers being domestic partners, had been handed out as of 9:30 a.m. After completing the paperwork, couples planned to draw numbers to determine their place in a line to receive notarization.

Cathy Schenone arrived at 7:30 a.m. with her partner, Michele Tollefson, 46.

"It kind of validates that we've been together 10 years and deserve the same rights as everyone else," said Schenone, 40, of Wanaque.

The domestic partnership law, passed in January, grants some legal rights to registered couples, including the ability to make medical decisions for each other.

It allows partners to have some joint rights in filing state taxes, to be exempt from state inheritance taxes in the case of a partner's death and to extend the benefits given to state employees to cover domestic partners.

The law also covers unmarried heterosexual couples ages 62 and older. It does not legalize gay marriage and offers far fewer rights than those given to heterosexual married couples.

Many attending the ceremony wore buttons reading "The next step: marriage equality."

Schenone said she was pleased with the new law because she can be added to her partner's health insurance policy.

"There really are some great benefits to it," Schenone said. "Hopefully it will lead to marriage."

New Jersey is the fifth state in the nation to officially recognize same-sex coupling. In April, Maine's governor signed a bill creating domestic partnerships there.

Domestic partner benefits have been granted in California and Hawaii. Vermont has approved civil unions and Massachusetts recently legalized same-sex marriage.

Catholic and conservative groups have raised objections to the New Jersey law, but so far no lawsuits have been filed to block it, said Patrick DeAlmeida, a deputy state Attorney General.

Maplewood was one of several municipalities with large gay populations that planned to open offices this weekend; most other towns didn't plan to start registering couples until Monday.

The South Orange clerk's office was opening at 12:01 a.m. Saturday to register couples.

"We know it's an important event and something crucial in the history of the country and we wanted to add our blessings to it," said South Orange Mayor William Calabrese.

Couples must bring government-issued identification and show proof of shared financial assets to a municipal registrar's office. There is no waiting period.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
awesome. though it may be accepted legally, surly there are those conservatives that dont want it... and i know that it will never be accpeted in my family. haha. or not.

Sam Bloom

Biggest impact will be giving religious conservatives something else to raise hell about. Realistically, don't think it will really impact heterosexuals that much, if they would just stop getting their panties in a was about it. And might help homosexual couples be happier, therefore the marriage would probably be a positive thing.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
pah said:
I'm sure that this is satisfying at a symbolic level to some. What do poeple think about this and the mounting trend to social acceptance of homosexual marriage

I think it's pretty wonderful, myself. I think there's coming a time when most people will say even if they don't agree with same sex marriage, that the government has no legal right to deny same sex couples the rights and protections of marriage, if they want them. I know for me, a gay woman, I don't need social acceptance to validate my relationship. However I do feel that I have a right and valid claim to the legal rights and protections that the government gives to just about every heterosexual couple who wishes to marry, without question.

tigrers99

The institution of MARRIAGE comes to us from God. (Gen.2:24) There is no older document in our possession that describes what MARRIAGE is and what it is for. The militant secular fundamentalists think that MARRIAGE is no more than just another word in the dictionary. How wrong they are!

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
the word marriage in the constitution means a legal bond between two spouses. accept that defintion. either that or you can whine like a baby to have it changed.

i get really really really frustrated when people put religious meanings which are not meant in the constition in the first place.

oh, and if you think like that, that the word marriage is religious, does that mean athiests cant get married in the US?

i think not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Tigrers,

Marriage is an instinctual behavior -- it wasn't invented by the bible. Some form of marriage is found in all cultures and societies, regardless of whether those cultures and societies go by the bible or not. It is a ubiquitous behavior of our species.

dolly

I think it's about time that homosexual couples are starting to get more recognition.

On a similar note, the Federal Marriage Amendment failed. :party:

Pah

Uber all member
dolly said:

On a similar note, the Federal Marriage Amendment failed. :party:

But Tom Delay, one of the house leaderrs (or is it Senate?,) is trying an "end around" He wants to deny jurisdiction to all the courts to hear cases involving the Marriage Act - which Congress can do constitutionally.

anders

In another thread, I just pointed out that Gen. 2:24 refers to two people becoming united. That doesn't rule out one-sex partnerships.

"Marriage" is a legal only procedure. It should exclude no combination on grounds of religious beliefs. What if a Himalayan woman with three husbands wanted to emigrate to another country? I think it would be senseless and cruel to force her to choose only one of them to be recognised as a husband. If, on the other hand, she was allowed to have more than one wedded husband, it should be allowed for all people of that country.

Let the churches bless the combinations that suit them, but let the law respond to people's wishes.

Zeke316

I believe that Homosexuals are not a special group of people, like some space aliens. They are people who practice homosexual acts. In Christianity, these acts are 'Sinful'. Similar to a person who 'Steals', being labled a thief, or a liar, rapist, murderer, etc.
Just 'people' practicing sinful deeds. As far as getting married, these people are being treated as though they can't help themselves and wanted to be accepted as 'NORMAL'.
They are normal, in as much as they are sinful like the rest of us.
Our sin should NEVER be sanctioned by society and especially the Church.
The flood gates are open and there are churches who will not resist the coming tide of sinful acts. They are heading for disaster and well they should. ..."resist the devil and he shall flee from you".
Resistance builds strength. ..

Blessings.

anders

I will never understand why people who oppose same-sex marriages/partnerships alway focus on sexual acts. Why not accept that love is the basic thing?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
zeke, homosexuals dont feel like changing because they dont want to. its too much of a hassel and theres no point. they can still be good, obedient children of God. sexuality has nothing to do with it.
i believe that God judges the soul.

society these days are soo perverse. i mean, really, they focus on you genitals instead of you thoughts!. just when we were moving away from it, same SEX marriage becomes an issue. why? if two souls really love each other, i think they should have thier rights recognized in a country they love that insures freedom aka US. becuase i believe that souls dont have gender, its all right.

you wont get married to someone just because they have a longer dick or bigger breasts. it makes no sense.

the bible is wrong in this case, its not a sin (what i belive). being gay is like being left handed. though they may hide it and be in the minority, they are still normal.
remember in history, christians didnt like left handed people. perhaps this gay thing will pass on too.

Zeke316

Anders;

If you will NEVER understand it, should anyone try to explain why Christians oppose Sin? Certain activities are 'SINFUL' to Christians....You know, 'stealing , lying, murder, adultery, etc. ..Homosexuality is 'Adultery', or sex outside of marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. You remember when God said in Genesis..."for this cause, a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife".
In a homosexual marriage, who is the wife, or husband?
It is SIN, and that is why people of all nations oppose it.
Under the NO ABSOLUTE TRUTH premise...when is stealing OK? The bible is TRUTH. ..THat is what Christians believe.

Blessings.

Zeke316

Gerani;
"Too much of a hassle"...I have a problem with making a living...I need $3,000. per week to allow me the lifestyle I desire. My problem is, I only make $2,000. per week. ..I can make up the difference by selling drugs and that will solve my problem...
My question is, 'Should I start selling drugs'? It will give me the extra money that I need. Or how about if I begin to take property from my employer and selling that? He has more money than I do and he will not miss it.
What do you think I need to do to 'eliminate all these hassles'?

Blessings;

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Zeke316 said:
Anders;

If you will NEVER understand it, should anyone try to explain why Christians oppose Sin? Certain activities are 'SINFUL' to Christians....

Then Christians shouldn't do those things. But they have no right to impose or force their beliefs on the population as a whole if the rest of the society isn't in agreement. Murder is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Lying is wrong. Rape is wrong. Most everyone would agree on these things because it involves an unconsenting or hurt party. Homosexuality does not, and it is even up for debate among Christians as to whether being gay is a sin. So my point is this, if you consider same sex marriage wrong, then don't marry someone of your same gender, but allow others the freedom to love and marry as they choose. That doesn't mean you condone their actions, but that you recognize that you are fortunate enough to live in a free society that people are even equal rights within that society regardless of their race, creed, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or ability.

Zeke316

If you are for or against any action, the method of codifying your beliefs is the Law. ** We don't condone stealing, therefore we set up laws against it. ... We as Christians are to speak out when certain actions violate God's law. If you can muster enough support to declare 'Homosexual Marriage' as the norm, then have at it.
We are not to be intimidated into the "it doesn't hurt anybody" argument.
That is the Bill Clinton position of 'it' is not sex because..."no intercourse wa involved". ...Every man does what is right in his own eyes.
Did the President Clinton episode ''hurt' anybody? ...Only the millions of people who looked up to the office of President and who were embarrassed by his actions. ...
When asked if parents wanted their children to grow up to participate in 'homosexual' activities...almost all of them said "NO". My question is Why? .. Because nature itself, tells us that this activity is wrong.

Blessings

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Zeke316 said:
If you are for or against any action, the method of codifying your beliefs is the Law. **
Unless it involves discrimination. Some people are against interracial marriages, but that is no longer banned because it was deemed discriminatory.
We don't condone stealing, therefore we set up laws against it. ...
Stealing hurts someone else, same sex marriage hurts no one.
We as Christians are to speak out when certain actions violate God's law.
Sure, speak out. But don't try to impose or force your beliefs on the whole population.
If you can muster enough support to declare 'Homosexual Marriage' as the norm, then have at it.
I believe that will be very soon.
We are not to be intimidated into the "it doesn't hurt anybody" argument.
"We"? Anyway... There is no proof that same sex marriage hurts anyone.
That is the Bill Clinton position of 'it' is not sex because..."no intercourse wa involved". ...
What does Bill Clinton have to do with same sex marriage?
Every man does what is right in his own eyes.
Yes, and as long as he is hurting no one else, what's the problem?
Did the President Clinton episode ''hurt' anybody? ...Only the millions of people who looked up to the office of President and who were embarrassed by his actions. ...
I would say his lying about the matter hurt more than the actions themselves, but that's another matter and is irrelevent to same sex marriage.
When asked if parents wanted their children to grow up to participate in 'homosexual' activities...almost all of them said "NO". My question is Why? .. Because nature itself, tells us that this activity is wrong.
I disagree. I believe that most parents would not want their children to be gay, not because they believe it is wrong (what nature tells as is a completely different thread, as most mammal species have shown homosexuality to be a part of nature), but because they don't want their children to be subjected to the abuse, harassment and discrimination that GBLT people are. How many of those parents in your survey with no source, said they would love and support their children if they were gay?