• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New deities

Philomath

Sadhaka
Well it was a woman and she was no monk by any means. Just your everyday white suburban hippie coming to my work. Hey I too left Christianity for Hinduism! Did we just become best friends?! YUP! Wanna do karate in the garage?! YUP! sorry :D

Sorry I misread your post. Ah...one of those "Buddhists" lol. You do Karate in your garage? :p

Kalidas

so what I am getting form this is some people worship many Gods and some worship a few and then some only worship one. I guess what ever works for you right?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Yes, who is in turn a form of Pavarti, who is in turn a form of shakti
Yes, some scriptures says so while some say that Durga, saraswati and Lakshmi are three powers of Maa Gayatri. Durga for courage, saraswati knowledge and Lakshmi wealth. :)

Kalidas

Yes, some scriptures says so while some say that Durga, saraswati and Lakshmi are three powers of Maa Gayatri. Durga for courage, saraswati knowledge and Lakshmi wealth. :)

Oh cool. Never heard that before thank you

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
so what I am getting form this is some people worship many Gods and some worship a few and then some only worship one. I guess what ever works for you right?

Wow. A lot can happen in a thread whilst an old body sleeps. :)

Yes, ultimately it is whatever works for you. In the beginning stages of learning, most people try a few places, something like looking for a new car, or house ... you don't just buy the first one you see.

Others are so impulsive they just buy all the houses, all the cars. Fortunately, that too is done in Hinduism. I didn't buy the first couple of Hinduism versions I ran into, but when I did run into mine I really knew it. So after that things were pretty clear.

So I'd suggest sort of trying each one out at a time, remembering how it goes, spending some time (at least 3 months or so, I figure) within a certain tradition. Then you have a better idea. Same too with philosophy. If you read two differing viewpoints every second day, no single concept really settles in, and then you come out of that experience believing nothing at all.

Personally, the combining of all traditions at the same time just doesn't work for me. There is a tried and true pattern that the Swaminarayan devotees as well as many others like me who have gone before you, have figured out. And that is to stick with one thing. I believe in monogamy for life, more or less. One life, one wife. One life, one faith. Maybe next lifetime, with God's guidance, it will be a different sampradaya or sect, and the soul will have new experiences there suited to further evolution.

Best wishes in sorting it all out.

As to an earlier question about who is worshipped at altars that have many Gods, usually the aarti is done to all at once. In temples or shrine rooms where there are less, and all are separated (agamic tradition) each individual murthy gets an aarti, so you're calling one at a time. "Come, Come. I beseech you to bless me with your presence."

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I love this image. I have it framed at home.

Tridevi.png

Tridevi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
-Most have an Ishta-Deva (a deity whom one primarily worships), but most also pay respect to other deities as well. Although there are some strictly monotheistic Hindus out there.

-Some give different pujas, aartis and prayers to each deity; while others cover them all with one or two.

-To use me as an example, my Ishta-Deva is Ganesha, but I also pay respect to (and worship) Shiva, the many forms of MahaDevi and I also have a bit of a love for Narasimha. I haven't started doing home pujas or aartis yet, but I feel that I will have a specific one for Ganesha and a generalized one for the rest.

In the end, how you worship is entirely up to you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
-Most have an Ishta-Deva (a deity whom one primarily worships), but most also pay respect to other deities as well. Although there are some strictly monotheistic Hindus out there.

The idea of an ishta is far more a primary idea in Smartism than in other sects. It is there in Saivism, Vaishnavism, too, but it's REALLY there in Smartism, so much that some conclude everyone is actually a Smarta with an ishta. This is a false assumption.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

I don't like it when Hindu Monotheists monopolize Hinduism. They have even called me non-Hindu. So be it. I am Florida Silk. :D

-Some give different pujas, aartis and prayers to each deity; while others cover them all with one or two.

Yes, I say a hymn that is dedicated to many Shri Gods at the same time. But, I also enjoy offering specific hymns to specific Gods as well.

-To use me as an example, my Ishta-Deva is Ganesha, but I also pay respect to (and worship) Shiva, the many forms of MahaDevi and I also have a bit of a love for Narasimha. I haven't started doing home pujas or aartis yet, but I feel that I will have a specific one for Ganesha and a generalized one for the rest.

That is awesome!

In the end, how you worship is entirely up to you.

Yeah. :( But, it would be better if you came over to polytheism. :flirt: Then, we can fight the monopolizers; muahahaha!