• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New deities

Kalidas

मैत्रावरुणिः;3449959 said:
Don't get me started on the Vedic Devi perspective. Devi-s in the Shri Vedas are given high prominence, and sometimes the highest prominence. Here, check it out for yourself:

I, too, am a Devi Bhatka. It is a given with being a Hindu polytheist.

But, please keep in mind that the term "pervading" isn't applied to solely Lord Shri Vishnu. As the above hymn shows, it is also applied to Shri Devi Ushas (Ushā). Take that Vaishnavas! Muahahaha!

I did read a part in the Devi Bahgavatam in which Vishnu was laying in a lotus as an infant (before Brahma before Shiva before any of the other deities) and yet there was Shakti and all her forms standing over Vishnu. They told him of what was to come of how Brahma would be born of his navel and shiva would come from his brow(not sure how common of an interpretation that is). And he had heard a voice of a goddess talk to him. Basically in the end Without shaktis permission and power vishnu would stay an infant forever and the universe would never be created.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I did read a part in the Devi Bahgavatam in which Vishnu was laying in a lotus as an infant (before Brahma before Shiva before any of the other deities) and yet there was Shakti and all her forms standing over Vishnu. They told him of what was to come of how Brahma would be born of his navel and shiva would come from his brow(not sure how common of an interpretation that is). And he had heard a voice of a goddess talk to him. Basically in the end Without shaktis permission and power vishnu would stay an infant forever and the universe would never be created.

Yes, you should actually create a thread on the matter. It would be interesting to converse about the Shri Devi Bhagvatam. Just as a side note, Devi Bhagvatam has nothing to do with the verse I put up; they are two different universes; one is Puranic and the other is Vedic. The idea of Shaktism isn't really traversed upon within the Vedas. Not to my knowledge.

Kalidas

मैत्रावरुणिः;3449992 said:
Yes, you should actually create a thread on the matter. It would be interesting to converse about the Shri Devi Bhagvatam. Just as a side note, Devi Bhagvatam has nothing to do with the verse I put up; they are two different universes; one is Puranic and the other is Vedic. The idea of Shaktism isn't really traversed upon within the Vedas. Not to my knowledge.

Oh I know just felt like adding what I read to what you read

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
PS. As a side note it is kind of nice to have another Devi Bhakta on the forum - All these Shaivites and Vashnavites have all the fun. (You all know I love you!

Nonsense! I love Mother Shakti ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's sort of like a "Six Degrees of Hinduism" if you will;) Look closely enough and you will see the connections.

This is probably the reason I have the deities on my altar that I do. I call them "One Big Happy Family".

One example of how Lakshmi and Shiva are in-laws goes like this (Srimad Bhagavatam Purāṇa)...

Durgā took birth at the same time as Krishna to foil Kamsa's murderous plot against Krishna. That makes Durgā sister to Vishnu; she is known as Nārāyanī. Durgā is wife/consort to Shiva. So, Shiva and Vishnu are brothers-in-law; therefore Lakshmī and Durgā are sisters-in-law. Going further, Vishnu and Lakshmi are uncle and aunt to Ganesha and Murugan.

Almost all, if not 100% of this comes from the Purāṇas, of course.

For example, I added a second Hanuman at one point because I thought my first one wasn't "proper". But all it did was make my shrine crowded and make it difficult for me to focus on either of them while praying. So I politely apologized to him and removed the second image. :)

:camp:

Btw, I got around that by this thinking...

I have a Ram Parivar in which Hanuman is paying obeisance to Rama and Sita. Yet, I have another Hanuman by himself looking forward and giving blessing.

Last edited: