• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Age Spirtuality?

Rick123123

What does everyone think about the new age spirtuality? Is it a load of crap? Or do you really beleive it has some validity?

Really interested to see what people have to say since im new age!!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I would say this about all religions that are not my own: If people find comfort, truth and fulfillment in a religion or philosophy in relation to their lives, then it is not a load of crap to them, so I would not presume to call it as such. I think New Age gets a bad rap sometimes, and that's a shame because it is one of the most tolerant religions and really pushes people to think outside of what they've always been taught.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
A lot of times, my spirituality is branded 'New Age' because I tend to fall into a lot of pagan traditions. (Hopefully not as one of the people that rips off your religion, PW.) I am never quite sure if New Age is a religion, or just simply a term used for when you can't exactly define a religion.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Well as with all religions, I believe that if you do not believe in Jesus as the savior that it is inherently wrong.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One of my best friends is a New Age religionist. It doesn't work for me, but it works for her, and I respect that.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't know anyone who is a New Age religionist. It isn't what I choose to believe in, but if someone else chooses to believe in it, who am I to judge them?:)

Ardent Listener

Most "New Age" religious people that I have known are very kind with much compassion for others. I may not agree with them, but I respect their sincerity.

Fluffy

A fool
It's a bit fluffy for my taste, but whatever floats your boat.
Hehe fluffiness certainly floats my boat. I dont know a great deal about New Age but I haven't seen anything which I could class as wrong about it.

ayani

i tend to see New Age things as very commercial, and New Age spirituality as overly self-focused. "buy these crystals! buy this dreamcatcher! learn how to better yourself financially through goddess worship!" but this is only what i see. i'm also kind of confused about New Age in general- what does it mean, exactly? is it a unified religion?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ermmm... None of the people I know who enjoy buying crystals would do so unless they wanted to. They'd be less likely to buy it if someone told them to.

Riven

Gracie, I'm a New Ager, and I have no crystals, no dreamcatchers, and I in no way intend to "better myself financially through goddess worship", whatever that means. Commercial? Hmm. The only money that New Age has cost me is a $30 donation to a charity in exchange for a book. Overly self-focused? My spirituality asks me to forget my self, and do everything for the benefit of the Self - the collective consciousness, the true being, the All.

Jensa, there are countless misinterpretations of what New Age is. Not all New Agers believe in crystals, astrology, energy fields, auras, and meditation, so if that's what you are basing your judgment of it on, then perhaps it is your perception of the spirituality - and not the spirituality itself - that is fluffy.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*raises hand* I'm fluffy. So's Fluffy. Also, bettering yourself through goddess worship is what goes on when we women here on RF talk about how groovy each other are. (Just thought I should clarify that.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The only New Age (and a sad amount of the Wicca spirituality) I've encountered has been fluffy along with a highly romanticized view of nature. Lemme reiteratie it: The New age I've encountered. I'm sure there are some non-fluffy New Agers out there, just like there are nonfluffy pagans and Wiccans. I just haven't run across any yet. (Then again, do New Agers usually identify their religion as New Age? I might have run across a few and not known it)

Riven

Jensa said:
Then again, do New Agers usually identify their religion as New Age? I might have run across a few and not known it
Some do. Others don't, because of the negative connotations attached to the term "New Age". Unfortunately, a few wack jobs have given all New Agers the reputation of being flaky - or fluffy, whatever. Calling all New Agers fluffy is akin to calling all Muslims terrorists (the negative connotations obviously aren't anywhere near that extreme with New Age, but hopefully you get my point), or calling all Christians Bible-thumpers.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I didn't call all anyone anything. I said the ones I've encountered are like that... to deny that there are some would be silly. Just as silly as it is to deny that there are some Muslim terrorists and some Christian bible-thumpers.