• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neodämmerung from Matrix Revolutions

atanu

Premium Member
Neodämmerung composed by Don Davis is the soundtrack used during the epic Neo versus Agent Smith battle scene from The Matrix Revolutions, featuring a choir singing of loosely translated Sanskrit shloka-s from the Upanishads. The shloka-s are the famous Sanskrit chant “asato mA sat gamaya”, which, is a shanti mantra (mantra of peace), from Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (1.3.28), invoked as a prayer during spiritual/ religious gatherings and social events. it is believed that the recitation of these verses bring peace.

asato mā sadgamaya
tamasomā jyotir gamaya
mrityormāamritam gamaya
Oṁ śhānti śhānti śhāntiḥ

From ignorance, lead me to truth;
From darkness, lead me to light;
From death, lead me to immortality
Om peace, peace, peace​

Wachowski brothers (now sisters), probably felt that the ideas expressed in the Upanishads expressed the themes within the Matrix trilogy. Morpheus was heard telling Neo: “What if you were to wake up from a dream which was so real that you found it difficult to differentiate between the dream world, and the real world?”

Below, I have linked the final battle scene between Neo and Agent Smith that employs ‘Asato mA sat gamaya’ and other quotes, sung with full choir accompanied from the Isha, Mundaka, and Katha Upanishads. Enjoy in a good sound system.

Last edited: