• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Neo)Paganism

Boethiah

Penguin
It has been my own personal view that all religions are of God, including polytheistic religions. I believe that God has revealed Himself in several forms. Among these are the various polytheistic religions across the world we can classify under the broad term "paganism". I have been doing some searching and have found very little other than a few mentions here and there of the official view of paganism. Can someone possibly give me some information as to how these religions are viewed?

Thank you. :)

BruceDLimber

If I'm not mistaken the Baha'i Faith views polytheistic religions as man-made given that we stress there's only one God.

(That said, it should be noted that Hinduism began as monotheistic, and its present-day polytheism is a later alteration of it.)

Regards, :)

Bruce

Boethiah

Penguin
This seems to refute the idea that God has always been with humanity. In humanity's earliest stages, things like animism and polytheism were much more prominent than monotheism. There were those who practices monolatrism and henotheism, but there was also a majority who practiced polytheistic religions.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Considering this is in the Baha'i DIR, are you only interested in Baha'i viewpoints on Neo-paganism, or are you interesting in some Neo-pagan viewpoints?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I could move this to Comparative religions forum or any of the Neo-pagan forums so that you get more of a reply if you wish. In the Baha'i DIR you may not get many responses.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
That is probably for the best, the comparative religion section. Thanks!

Done. :)

Neo-paganism is hard to define. While many would consider themselves polytheist, there are some who would define that polytheism through archetypal means (as in the Gods represent part of the collective human psyche), or even see the various gods as being aspects of a single God (similar to Hinduism).

Many are also either pantheist or panentheist, seeing divinity in nature; it can be inherent only in the universe, or both inherent in the universe and having a transcendence in a spiritual world.

Animism is quite common. Neo-pagans often see spirituality as inherent in all things, even if there is no God-figure. I often hear Neo-pagans say that although they believe in no God, they believe that there is a spiritual or magical essence to the universe.

To further complicate matters, there are syncretic or eclectic pagans who fuse or borrow from many sources, leading to things like Christian-Wiccans who may follow Wiccan traditions or rituals within a monotheistic Christian framework, or vice-versa.

Boethiah

Penguin
Done. :)

Neo-paganism is hard to define. While many would consider themselves polytheist, there are some who would define that polytheism through archetypal means (as in the Gods represent part of the collective human psyche), or even see the various gods as being aspects of a single God (similar to Hinduism).

Many are also either pantheist or panentheist, seeing divinity in nature; it can be inherent only in the universe, or both inherent in the universe and having a transcendence in a spiritual world.

Animism is quite common. Neo-pagans often see spirituality as inherent in all things, even if there is no God-figure. I often hear Neo-pagans say that although they believe in no God, they believe that there is a spiritual or magical essence to the universe.

To further complicate matters, there are syncretic or eclectic pagans who fuse or borrow from many sources, leading to things like Christian-Wiccans who may follow Wiccan traditions or rituals within a monotheistic Christian framework, or vice-versa.

I have found this to be the case when I have done my research, which makes my question even more difficult to answer I think. I have found no Baha'i scripture that negates the pagans of various parts of the world, but this could be due to the loss of a lot of history as far as early Paganism goes due to Christianization. Arabic pagans are mentioned from time to time in relation to the prophet Muhammed's persecution. I have held that paganism in history, in all of its forms, has just been another expression of God. Paganism today goes the same way.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I have held that paganism in history, in all of its forms, has just been another expression of God. Paganism today goes the same way.

I would agree. I see no reason for God to be exclusive and esoteric. It makes more sense that It would be revealed throughout humanity in a basic, essential way.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
I think the various religions are more a matter of how individuals can relate to God rather than those religions being God created. With some folks it might take seeing God in the context of multiple deities for them to wrap their mind around God. Even most Christians look at God with three separate aspects, the Trinity. Come to think of it, the Hindus have their own Trinity.

As a Christian I'm an unapologetic monotheist but I have some close Heathen friends who I have discussions about religion with from time to time and I can see how a few really relate to God through their pantheon of gods. Its the way they get their mind wrapped around God being in their life. I have my own way to relate to God and it very closely resembles the Christianity that I was brought up with. I think that people seek out a relationship with God that works for them regardless of their religion.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I personally don't like the term "Neo Pagan", because it implies that something about Pagan religions is new. While this title may apply better to some religions like Wicca, not all Pagans are new. Some of us follow very old religions indeed. I need to know what you're wanting to know about Egyptian Paganism boe?

Boethiah

Penguin
Basically how the Baha'i Faith views pagan religions and how the various pagan religions view monotheism. Abrahamic monotheism, really.

EDIT: And I realize the differences. Views vary from person to person and there sometimes isn't an overall theme or idea. But just some history, scripture, personal outlooks from the two standpoints. They are very different belief systems that have some underlying similarities.

Last edited: