• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I kind of like making things up to suit myself. :D
I generally trust myself and understand my own motives more than I trust ancient, sometimes inscrutable lists of dos and don'ts

For me, conscience trumps scripture.

Last edited by a moderator:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I kind of like making things up to suit myself. :D
I generally trust myself and understand my own motives more than I trust ancient, sometimes inscrutable lists of dos and don'ts

For me, conscience trumps scripture.

Well it's good that it works for you. :D I would have liked that but it bugged me too much.

I don't trust myself, personally.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It's been a few weeks I've been practising the basics of Islam. Everyday I wake up feeling this is wrong. ~Sigh

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
It's been a few weeks I've been practising the basics of Islam. Everyday I wake up feeling this is wrong. ~Sigh

What are the chances of you maybe going to a mosque? Especially on Friday.

The loner you are the harder it feels. The environment of the mosque can lift up your spirits, if you really want to continue with being a Muslim. You could see thousands of videos about Mosques and people praying etc but the feeling you have when you witness it yourself is incomparable.

I used to see videos of people going to Makkah but when I saw the Ka'bah with my own eyes it was like I had never seen it before, I was in awe of it's beauty and mind you it's only a square building with a black cloth over it.

If you need any kind of help with organizing something let me know, I have a friend from the UK.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Underneath the thin veneer of civilization we remain tribal apes. We crave society. We gain identity and self-worth from society; but only from small societies. We're not psychologically wired to identify with large, cosmopolitan societies on a gut level. This is why people segregate themselves into social tribes and sub-tribes. Hells Angels, theater people, stockbrokers, Man U fans, Crips, Taliban. We like being insular. We're not wired to extend moral consideration to large or diverse populations. We're wired, in fact, to fight them.

Civilization and religion tries hard to suppress our Pleistocene psychology with an overlay of cosmopolitanism, but it is a thin veneer. The lure of the insular status community -- social, criminal or religious -- remains strong.

Know thyself. Know your nature. Don't succumb.

Aquitaine

What is it you're looking for, kitty? If you're struggling to find a "suitable" religion then perhaps it's not neccesarily a religion which you're truely seeking, but maybe a different philosophical perspective or lifestyle etc? :)

What is it you're searching for?

Aquitaine

Underneath the thin veneer of civilization we remain tribal apes. We crave society. We gain identity and self-worth from society; but only from small societies. We're not psychologically wired to identify with large, cosmopolitan societies on a gut level. This is why people segregate themselves into social tribes and sub-tribes. Hells Angels, theater people, stockbrokers, Man U fans, Crips, Taliban. We like being insular. We're not wired to extend moral consideration to large or diverse populations. We're wired, in fact, to fight them.

Civilization and religion tries hard to suppress our Pleistocene psychology with an overlay of cosmopolitanism, but it is a thin veneer. The lure of the insular status community -- social, criminal or religious -- remains strong.

Know thyself. Know your nature. Don't succumb.

You're always stealing my Fruballs, damn it! :p

Maija

Wrong in what way? as in very foreign and new or as in it could be something you do not believe in?

hang in there- do not give up! ;) what religious background did you start as! have you ever thought of returning back to square 1- it might help you realize why you embarked on the journey..

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Wrong in what way? as in very foreign and new or as in it could be something you do not believe in?

hang in there- do not give up! ;) what religious background did you start as! have you ever thought of returning back to square 1- it might help you realize why you embarked on the journey..

Feels wrong as in it doesn't feel right... You know that awkward feeling when something isn't what you think it should be.

I come from a non religious background. I was baptised as a baby, just because it's custom to do so. My family isn't religious.

So there's nothing for me to return to. :(

Maija

Feels wrong as in it doesn't feel right... You know that awkward feeling when something isn't what you think it should be.

I come from a non religious background. I was baptised as a baby, just because it's custom to do so. My family isn't religious.

back to square 1, aint no shame in that! As long as we are searching God will come to us :)

Monotheist 101

Hey werent you looking into Islam a few weeks ago?

Id love to explain my view and understanding of Islam in a one on one..you can bombard me with questions :).. Im not a scholar..but am at peace with my beliefs..it makes sense to me so I stick to it..

Anyways best advice for you should be not to worry too much..I mean how hard can it be to not be religious...I hold all these strong beliefs but still dont manage time to be religious..Time doesnt stop..My goal is to make the most of this life(happiness) while having faith in being judged for my actions..If you just concentrate on the making most of this life and being happy..I dont think you can go wrong..I think everyone should look for a balance between following our desires(worldly benefit) and being selfless (benefit in the afterlife)..an extreme of anything is detrimental IMO If I completely kill my ego I am infact killing the motivation that drives me to do...anything really..It should be more about controlling the ego(the Inner Jihad that the Quran talks about) because through the ego we fulfill our worldly responsibilities..to our kids our parents etc..Ive come across a few Islamic Mystics who in their quest to be enlightened shunned family responsibilities and left their wife and kids indefinitely to pursue knowledge of God, this IMO is extreme aswell, not necessary or not needed..I donot seek salvation in this life..rather in the afterlife..

Best of Luck
Peace and God Bless

Last edited:

Monotheist 101

It's just not compatible with me, I would need to change quite a lot of things in my life and completely deny some things I stand by (like gay rights).

I also have trouble believing it comes from God. There's quite a bit of violence in it (ex. punishements) and personally, that's not what I believe God to be.

Plus my husband absolutely hates religions, so there's no chance he would convert (Muslim women cannot be married to men who are not Muslim).

Also some rules do not make much sense. The theory is that Allah knows best and sometimes things that we do not like are good for us but still... I just can't accept that as true.

Anyway, if anyone has some explanations or wants to talk about it, just PM me or something!
I think you have chosen the wrong sources to derive your understanding of what a Muslim is..

The marriage to a non muslim does not apply to you..you are converting to Islam..I think it would be not be fair on you f you were judged for an action you had no control over..and the Allah I have learnt about is the Most Just..According to Isl amic sources Satans biggest accomplishment is causing separation between husband and wife..How can God ask you to do that? To be Muslim you need to do nothing other than first and foremost have faith in One true creator..everything else is secondary..not all fingers on the hand are equal..everyones life is unique.. I think I can explain in detail the concept behind Muslim Women not being allowed to marry outside of Islam..It adds up in my puzzle of the ultimate purpose of my life..which is to reproduce and pass on this beacon of faith(true monotheism not confused understanding of Panenthiesm and Montheism) and good morales to my kids..that to me is my ultimate purpose..unfortunately the reality of the world that we live in is..Fathers have heirs not Mothers..Children get their fathers name..not their mothers..I can see the logic behind trying to protect a Muslim woman (already Muslim) and her offspring from deviating from the right path..not that she wants to..but again the reality is that the father has more influence (in terms of establishing a childs identity..in the eyes of the world)..Islam is a religion which looks to cut off the problem at the roots..or before it turns into a problem..Main point..dont believe whoever told you, you have to leave your non muslim husband in order to embrace Islam..IMO they are not representing Gods true word or nature..Allah knows your intention..nothing is hidden from him..do you honestly think he would want you to break up your marriage and destroy your household and happiness? If he wanted to do that..I would refuse to take him as my God..

Allah says:
"Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.
"And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allah knows all that before putting them to test)". ( Quran 29:2.-3)

This life is but a test..you've already got a head start on me..because your task is more difficult than mine..I have found the truth yet find it hard to protect myself from the evil that is part of Allahs creation...everyone is tested in their unique way..what is your take on dreams..it makes sense to me..Allah says when we are asleep we are an inch from death. IMO this is because our soul is removed from our body.our soul actually travels around visiting different planes..all stuff that I have tested on a personal level..look up astral projection..dreams are a mixture of things..I see them as signs..randomness..weird symbolism..randomness..what Ive been thinking of all day.. My best sleep is when I dont remember any dreams..

Quran:
39.42. God takes the spirits at the time of the death of (the souls), and in their sleep those (of the ones) that have not died. He withholds (the spirits of) those for whom He has decreed death, and the rest He sends back (to their bodies to live on) for a term appointed by Him. Surely in that are signs (important lessons) for people who reflect and are mindful.

Last edited:

Monotheist 101

Okay now this will probably come off as someone very contradictory and confused but if anyone can bare with me... I said in the thread "Reason to not be Muslim":

I know it's going to sound contradictory, but at the same time, the reasons I gave aren't really all that bad, for example, some Muslims believe in equality for all, and leave judgement to Allah. My friend also spoke of interfaith marriages, between a Muslim woman she knows. As for the God issues, it's hard to really know and also, as said, some things make no sense but can be because God indeed knows what's best for us. Why wouldn't God have both mercy but also feel angry or dissapointed about us?

Anyway, that's one side of myself. I can't seem to deny that I'm interested in Islam, always have a strong fascination with it since I discovered it. Also I keep having many dreams about it, especially if I ignore it for a while, about being a Muslim, converting or being sorrounded by them. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I wanted to convert a few months ago but I think I chickened out.

The other side of me is what I constructed, Panentheism, mixed with nature reverence similar to Paganism and some Buddhist practises and philosophy. But sometimes it feels fake and made up (well yes, made by myself). How do I know what the divine is? It feels pretentious!

I feel like I'm having a double life! How can I solve this annoying conflict? Is there any meaning in my constant dreams? Or am I overthinking? :areyoucra

You really are having a mixture of feelings hey, I think you should first open your heart and truly search for what feels true to you.. Panentheism and Islamic Monotheism are on opposite ends of the spectrum..in terms of the core belief( I have found good morale taught in every world religion)..of who or what God is..I think Buddhism is mostly based on Hinduism where everything is a part of God..Islam as I understand it in contrast says that God doesnt create from his own self or body..but rather he creates from nothing..I would have opted for Panentheism if I was at peace with being a part of God :), I am certain I am no God not even close..and no matter how hard I try I cannot be one with him..see him..talk to him..I can however feel his presence when I seek refuge with him..in times of need and confusion..
Quran 113:
Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn [1] From the mischief of created things; [2] From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads; [3] From the mischief of those who practise secret arts; [4] And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy. [5]
Quran 114:
Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind, [1] The King of mankind, [2] The God of mankind, [3] From the evil of the sneaking whisperer, [4] Who whispereth in the hearts of mankind, [5] Of the jinn and of mankind. [6]
I think you should stick to what makes sense to you..I was very pro Buddhist for a while..but then I realized how to perfectly follow Buddhas teachings I would have to life my life on an extreme end of the spectrum..be completely selfless..His fundamental premise of life = suffering doesn't sit well with me...I also realize that enlightened is a word that has been used interchangeably with occult experiences..and mistaken for divinity or God showing himself to people..God is outside creation..he will not manifest himself in any form..

my thoughts :)

Peace

Last edited:

Monotheist 101

I'm just not sure I'm on the right path (with my mixture of self made beliefs) and I want to please God. I know many people say there's more than one way but I'm perhaps scared that I'm doing something wrong!

I don't know and I have a lot of thinking to do.

I think we are quite similar in mixing and matching what makes sense..I have learned so many good things from Buddhism..and so many real spiritual practices from Hinduism..(although they serve no purpose and leaves a wide gate open for deception IMO) I take knowledge for its face value..not what others think of the source..that being said..I call myself a Muslim..because I have absolute faith in One creator..you can call him anything you want..I reject anything (most world religions) that contradicts my view of who God is..I think the purest form of Monotheism I have found is Islam as taught by the Quran..not the Hadith or one sect or another..the Islam of all the prophets and divinely inspired people..Including John the Baptist and Jesus Christ..That is what im after...not what English translations of Bukhari have made Islam into..I think the Hadith have been heavily tampered with..

Last edited:

Monotheist 101

You have no idea brother how much I want to do this. It would be so much easier if I had some sisters to talk to face-to-face that could support and help me.

I'm not aware of any Mosque being around, I only know of Ahmadiyya and a community center that never answered me if they could help me. I need to visit bigger cities sometime. I live in the middle of nowhere. :(

My best advice to you is...please dont follow too strictly what different muslim denominations follow or preach..especially the later ones like Ahmadiyyat..it is up to you but in my eyes the same innovations as with any other religion has caused a few splits in the Islamic community..

I have tried so hard to distance myself from mainstream Islam (the one that always points fingers) and choose to only derive Islam from the only authentic source the Quran..that being said..If something good is found in non-authentic materials than I have no issue accepting it..my problem starts when dogs become dirty animals and the holy prophet is reported to have fondled his wife when she was on her menses..these statements straight out contradict teachings of the Quran..how can they be attributed to Muhammad..the perfect Muslim..

I would suggest you only place trust in Allah..face to face guidance can be very misleading aswell.. religious beliefs are easy to manipulate.. I advise you to be quick in realizing when someone stops discussing/advising and starts pushing their beliefs on you..the only thing that is certain fact is the Quran..not what Ahmadiyya or Shia or Sunni say...it maybe true but its too risky for me..

You should learn to pray the Sunni way..like the prophet used to..IMO Sunnis being an 80% majority are good representatives of pure Monotheism..but have grown attached to works that were authenticated over a 1000 years ago..and take them to be authentic..even when they make outrageous claims like the prophet asked people to drink camel ****..or the prophet consumated his marriage with his 9 year old wife..I have quite the eye for spotting BS..and Im afraid alot of Bukhari that I have come across online falls into that category..that being said it is strange that upon researching contradictory Hadith attributed to Bukhari I havent found the original arabic narrations anywhere..I am leaning towards the opinion that alot of the english translations of Bukhari have been fabricated and original arabic sources are no where to be found..i have honeslty spent 5 hours today and only found one out of 10 contradictory hadith in arabic..they are posted all over the web in english tho..

All you need is belief in One God..and to pray to him sincerely and follow the five basic pillars of Islam..charity etc..Im afraid your views on God being everything does not add up with Islamic Monotheism tho..God is distinct from what he has created..he has major influence over his creation but never becomes part of it..

BTW I just realized I have been replying to very old posts :facepalm:... I should really start reading dates on the posts... anyways hope you could gain something good or positive about Islam from what I have been posting

Cheers
Sleepy Time!

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well from all this, you can see how much my faith wobbles from one side to the other. Sometimes I just have bad days. I have requested help from an organisation that helps sisters in Islam. We'll see how this goes!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I would love to support you on your path to Islam because I have tried it about 5 times and I ended up leaving it all together although I didn't disacknowledge it positives aspects :D . My path to Islam went from Salafism to Sufism and ended up with Quraniyun. Oh how I have tried so hard to gulp Islam down.
I am not discouraging you Illykitty but please be sure you actually ACCEPT the basics and obligations of a religion before converting because if you reject 1 of them it just shatters your faith in it. I can assure you this will become troublesome. I just began proudly using the term Deist a few weeks ago and finally shed my Islamic status. So please review Islamic again and again and again and again until you finally understand Ahkarn al-Islam and ACCEPT it fully. Because if you find constant fault you will spend an agonizing life flip flopping from religion to religion and I have tried many so I should know.
Ishna' Allah :namaste .

Last edited: