• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice... Clashing feelings about faiths!

illykitty

RF's pet cat
dear illykitty...

Yeah, well I still feel Sikhism is the closest to what I believe. I like Hinduism a lot too, so it's not like I've chosen one over the other yet. Buddhism lacks divinity and perhaps as it is now, I feel too cold about it. I need the warmth and love that I feel from divinity. I guess the only reason I see Sikhism as closer is because of the great emphasis on equality and also the way they describe the one deity. Hinduism has Krishna though! :D

I haven't returned to the Gurdwara sadly. I chickened out! I'm thinking of returning but it's a little hard, seeing that my husband is theistic, but not religious... He said the weirdest thing, that he didn't like going to the Gurdwara because they were so nice. Perhaps he thought if they weren't welcoming it would be easier to never return, since he dislikes religion? I don't know if I understood him right!

But yes, I depend on him for matter of transport and accompaniment. I'm still a bit uncomfortable going out on my own and going into a HUGE Gurdwara full of Punjabis and no white person in sight is more than a little scary even for someone who isn't phobic.

I really wish to return though. It kind of saddens me that I can't get over this silly self to at least try and see if Sikhism is my home.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
He said the weirdest thing, that he didn't like going to the Gurdwara because they were so nice.
LOL! I've heard a similar criticism to Mormons. :D

I really wish to return though. It kind of saddens me that I can't get over this silly self to at least try and see if Sikhism is my home.
Try and organize a date or something where you can go. If you can, try to go with a friend? If you have any friends who wouldn't freak out at the idea of going to one, that is. :D

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm having doubts about if I want to know who God really is or if I'm only wanting to hear what I want to hear.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
First things first: what is it that you think you would really want to hear?

What I want to hear is that god is simple, he has love for all, even non religious or atheists and he doesn't require anything from us. However, is that the truth? That's what I want, but what I want might not be right.

You're already way ahead of most other people, perhaps you should figure out what religions you have differences that can't be reconciled with before choosing.

But what if those differences are right and I'm wrong?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I decided that for now, I'll practise what feels right to me, an ever evolving belief that is never set. I'll bring together practises that I like by testing them. Flexible and adaptable.

Atm, I've given up on finding an already made religion. It's impossible for me to pick one in present time. I find good and bad point for all of them and can't just pick one. I'd have to alter whatever to fit my values and I cannot find any proof or reason why I should go with an already made unflexible religion over my own eclectic mix.

So to sum up, panentheism with ever changing and evolving practises that I'll put to the test to see if I keep them or reject them. Panentheism has been my only constant in the past years so I doubt that would change but the rest is flexible.

If you like aspects of Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism, perhaps you should look into Sufism, the mystical branch of Islam.

I agree with this, but I think even some Sufis would disagree that Paganism can be incorporated into their religion. Islam is rather strict on the notion of Monotheism, and worshiping the One True God, rather than the created.

That said, Sufism is said to be on the "inner" path, while Sunni and Shia Islam are on the "outer" path. For clarification, you might want to look at some of the works by Ivan Agueli, who was one of Europe's foremost Sufis, and also, politically speaking, an anarchist.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm back to Islam, don't ask it's long to explain, just that I keep going in and out of it. But yeah I'm giving it another go and hopefully God helps me. ~_~

I've completely eliminated Buddhism btw, I read more about it and dissagreed with certain things, key concepts.

Also, I'm not a polytheist so when I talked about Paganism, I still refered to one god just the concept of following the cycles of nature and such was what interested me. Aaaaand I don't like Unitarianism. There's not really any beliefs in Unitarianism.

Anyway, at the moment it doesn't matter, I'm researching Islam and trying my best to practise the basics.

(And God help me with my motivation issues...)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I'm back to Islam, don't ask it's long to explain, just that I keep going in and out of it. But yeah I'm giving it another go and hopefully God helps me. ~_~

I've completely eliminated Buddhism btw, I read more about it and dissagreed with certain things, key concepts.

Also, I'm not a polytheist so when I talked about Paganism, I still refered to one god just the concept of following the cycles of nature and such was what interested me. Aaaaand I don't like Unitarianism. There's not really any beliefs in Unitarianism.

Anyway, at the moment it doesn't matter, I'm researching Islam and trying my best to practise the basics.

Masha Allah, welcome back to Islam Illykitty.

Search in youtube for videos of what you find attractive about Islam. Watch those videos every time you feel down and they will be of help insha Allah.

Maija

Yeah, well I still feel Sikhism is the closest to what I believe. I like Hinduism a lot too, so it's not like I've chosen one over the other yet. Buddhism lacks divinity and perhaps as it is now, I feel too cold about it. I need the warmth and love that I feel from divinity. I guess the only reason I see Sikhism as closer is because of the great emphasis on equality and also the way they describe the one deity. Hinduism has Krishna though! :D

I haven't returned to the Gurdwara sadly. I chickened out! I'm thinking of returning but it's a little hard, seeing that my husband is theistic, but not religious... He said the weirdest thing, that he didn't like going to the Gurdwara because they were so nice. Perhaps he thought if they weren't welcoming it would be easier to never return, since he dislikes religion? I don't know if I understood him right!

But yes, I depend on him for matter of transport and accompaniment. I'm still a bit uncomfortable going out on my own and going into a HUGE Gurdwara full of Punjabis and no white person in sight is more than a little scary even for someone who isn't phobic.

I am fascinated by the Sikh religion, but felt like you the BG was a gem to read. I was a muslim who in the end fell in love with Krishna. i loved the culture of hijab and the brotherhood and sisterhood of Islam but feel more reward with the tolerant view points of all paths being valid- i no longer feel like a sinner when i attend other houses of worship or read their writings. in short i found liberation in love for Krsna. i know you will find the right fit. my husband said the same things everytime i took him to a bahai event or a post kirtan event !

loverOfTruth

All praise is to Allah(swt) ... congratulations sister. The one piece of advice I can give you which should help you not waver from your faith is to go visit a mosque and try to make friends there who will help you with your learning and practices. I am sure you'll find other converts with similar situation as yours. Remember, Satan never gives up ... and believers are the shield of one another against Satan. So good company who constantly reminds you of Allah(swt) is extremely important. I can't stress enough.

I wish you all the best in this journey of yours. We are always here to answer/help in any way we can. Please feel free to ask. Peace.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
All praise is to Allah(swt) ... congratulations sister. The one piece of advice I can give you which should help you not waver from your faith is to go visit a mosque and try to make friends there who will help you with your learning and practices. I am sure you'll find other converts with similar situation as yours. Remember, Satan never gives up ... and believers are the shield of one another against Satan. So good company who constantly reminds you of Allah(swt) is extremely important. I can't stress enough.

I wish you all the best in this journey of yours. We are always here to answer/help in any way we can. Please feel free to ask. Peace.

You have no idea brother how much I want to do this. It would be so much easier if I had some sisters to talk to face-to-face that could support and help me.

I'm not aware of any Mosque being around, I only know of Ahmadiyya and a community center that never answered me if they could help me. I need to visit bigger cities sometime. I live in the middle of nowhere. :(

Maija

Whether one follows islam, christianity, hinduism or judaism sincerely they are all capable of reaching God. No one religion has a monopoly over God, follow whichever religion is most beautiful and true to you. follow your heart and God will guide you, you wont be left astray.Congrats on your progress ;) it feels good, huh?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Questions:
Why are you a theist at all -- poly or otherwise?

Doesn't Unitarianism have a humanistic belief system?
I realize such values are not a black and white, prescriptive list of dos and don'ts, and require some individual thought and analysis.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Questions:
Why are you a theist at all -- poly or otherwise?

Doesn't Unitarianism have a humanistic belief system?
I realize such values are not a black and white, prescriptive list of dos and don'ts, and require some individual thought and analysis.

Yes I'm a theist used to call myself atheist in my teens but I think I've always believed otherwise what would I have been angry at? :p I believe in one creator God and often went from monotheism to panentheism.

Well I'm looking for a way of life, to try to please God... From my understanding Unitarianism doesn't give that. I've tried individual thought and came to the conclusion that my mind can make things up to suit myself. That's not my goal, if it was, I wouldn't have bothered with religion.