• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Near Death experiences and the scientific method.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, there is some truth in what you say, but .let me ask you a question, in the context of Christianity, what do you understand as spirit?
It would be no different for the perception and conception of any like understanding. It isn't my understanding of spirit or that of anyone else. It is that I have no evidence to support claims based on my beliefs. No one has done this. If there is evidence to convince others then they are not beliefs, but valid facts. Belief does not make it real to the world. Only to the individual.

A person can believe in a supernatural nature of NDE's so strongly that it is real to them. What they believe cannot be shown to be wrong, but none believing that has been able to provide valid evidence and argument that they are correct either.

That is the reality in which all of us that have some sort of belief maintain those beliefs.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
So when did you look for data in the brain?

Where is data stored on your computer? And have you looked for it?
That is interesting. I wonder where my memories are stored then if not the brain? The brain seems the most logical place.

You get hit on the head. You suffer amnesia. Seems like the forgotten memories (data) are stored in what got hit.

You drink too much and that effects many things associated with cognition.

A rod gets driven through the brain and that persons personality is radically altered.

It seems like the brain is the best candidate for where data is stored in those things that have brains.

gnostic

The Lost One
Ok, there is some truth in what you say, but .let me ask you a question, in the context of Christianity, what do you understand as spirit?

Let me ask you questions.

Both @Dan From Smithville and @Lekatt are Christians, so both believe in Jesus and the resurrection...However, only one of them actually UNDERSTAND science, especially the reality of human biology...Dan, not Lekatt.

You should already know how Dan reasons, through your experiences and exchanges of posts with him.

In one of Lekatt’s earlier post (post 388), he or she wrote this:

For some clarity. Scientists study the brain through behavior and imaging. They watch to see which part of the brain lights up when certain behavior takes place. Now if the brain is damaged and one cannot walk, then one can be taught to walk again which means a different undamaged part of the brain is used.

The brain has been studied for many, many years and no one has found any memory, emotions, or other data therein. They never will because it is not the brain that controls the body. I have spent many hours studying human anomalies. I believe more is to be learned from anomalies than from normal events when it comes to us humans.

The videos on savants testify to this. Badly handicapped people with amazing skills.

Now there is a group of people that have little or no brain and they do amazing things also.
We are spirit first and human second, and there is a ton of evidence to show this in our literature.

Miraculous Cases of People Who Lived Without a Brain | Mysterious Universe

So from what I see here, Lekatt is indicating that the spirit, not the human physical brain, that controls the bodily motion, human emotion & reasoning and memories.

So my questions to you, are:

Do you agree with Lekatt’s repeated position that spirits, not the brains, store memories, control emotions and bodily functions?

Does the brains have no functions at all?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
God is the spirit, not me. At least, that's how I understood it back in the day.
The rest of this is not in evidence and sounds like woo woo to me.
That is true, the body is said to be the temple of the spirit of God, the spirit in you is the soul. However the teaching and purpose of religious practice is to transition self awareness from the body to the spirit so that after death, there is a continuation of existence, albeit a spiritual one.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You're just claiming here that it is reality.
But you haven't demonstrated that it is.
It is up to you to discover whether or not there is a reality represented by religious teachings, you don't do it by proxy. If you decide to wait for a proxy to demonstrate for you, it will never happen as the God is within you, not external to you.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
It would be no different for the perception and conception of any like understanding. It isn't my understanding of spirit or that of anyone else. It is that I have no evidence to support claims based on my beliefs. No one has done this. If there is evidence to convince others then they are not beliefs, but valid facts. Belief does not make it real to the world. Only to the individual.

A person can believe in a supernatural nature of NDE's so strongly that it is real to them. What they believe cannot be shown to be wrong, but none believing that has been able to provide valid evidence and argument that they are correct either.

That is the reality in which all of us that have some sort of belief maintain those beliefs.
Understanding what you are in the context of spirit has got nothing to do with conception or belief (same thing actually). Reality is on the other side of the concept, which btw is why I like to say "the reality represented by" such and such a concept, eg., spirit, God, etc.. Think of the concept of say 'spirit' as merely a sign post that directs your attention to a reality represented by 'spirit'. Now initially all students of religion only are aware of the concept, they may believe it exists but haven't a clue what it is except as a verbal description which they believe in. So how do you get from the belief in, from the concept of, to the actual reality represented by the concept/belief. The answer is, by religious practice, by will, by devotion to, by sheer desire to know. In time, the reality represented by the concept of spirit is realized, meaning it becomes a real aspect of your being, it is undeniable to your awareness, though it is totally subjective and can not be demonstrated to another except in the sense that people who know you may notice a change in your nature.

It is a basic error of religious novices to imagine religion is about belief, it is not, it is about realizing the reality represented by the concepts and beliefs of religion.

Finally this instruction also applies to all subjects, not only religion, never make the error of mistaking the concept for the reality which the concept is meant to represent, the real is forever on the other side of the mind's cogitations.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When a human tells the scientist doing all the studies in science by science asking is spirit real. Can I find God the energy by NDE science study.

Everyone first is not the science theist

Every human is natural life owning natural death. What we experience or share as stories is not sciences business.

We tell you the NDE is not scientific.

Nor does science prove anything by scientific purpose experiments to learn. In the NDE study.

Hence why don't you scientist just stop lying as science as natural life told you it is not science.

If we want to tell the experience then we have. We don't need science telling science you waste your experimental time studying it. As you chose to study it.

If science says the human experience is not as they claim as the experience is stated as by self explanation. Humans only ever used explanations....even as scientists.

If science says phenomena is a cause effect is the correct terminology and hence is not origin being mass in science.

As energy is abstracted from mass. So it is not an energy science.

Phenomena involves image. Bodily image. Water oxygenated

As the physical biology owns expresses the chemistry just in its physical biology.

Image proves that it exists by its own status in the heavens without machine viewing of transmitted image.

As you don't own the state the heavens in science it owns itself by spatial containment is the scientific answer.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Let me ask you questions.

Both @Dan From Smithville and @Lekatt are Christians, so both believe in Jesus and the resurrection...However, only one of them actually UNDERSTAND science, especially the reality of human biology...Dan, not Lekatt.

You should already know how Dan reasons, through your experiences and exchanges of posts with him.

In one of Lekatt’s earlier post (post 388), he or she wrote this:

So from what I see here, Lekatt is indicating that the spirit, not the human physical brain, that controls the bodily motion, human emotion & reasoning and memories.

So my questions to you, are:

Do you agree with Lekatt’s repeated position that spirits, not the brains, store memories, control emotions and bodily functions?

Does the brains have no functions at all?
Yes, it is the spiritual source through the soul that vivifies the body, expresses human emotional responses and the human mind. Each human life is an expression of the universe, so while a person is an individual and unique in time and space, the eternal Divine source is common, the 'uni' of universe means one. But to understand this rather than just believing, not believing, or not understanding, the prerequisite understanding of the reality behind all the concepts being used is absolutely essential, without that, it is all vanity.

While it is true that the source of the human body, emotions, and mind is spiritual, clearly it is the creature that actually does the expressing, therefore the CNS and S & P NS, memory, conditioning, etc. must play and important role in the reasoning, remembering, etc..

Lekatt

Premium Member
Can you show me the reports you are using to draw that conclusion? Do you think all the information we gather, evaluate and retain is in some sort of spiritual cloud?

The information resides in us, the spirit, that controls the body, not in the brain. That is where the Savant Principal comes from.

tas8831

Data is stored on the Hard Drive or Memory Chips in the computer, and I look at it all the time.

You look at hard drives all the time?
Interesting.
What does the data "look like" when you look at it on your computer?

I'm guessing you will write something like 'I see it in a text file' or something like that.

And you will miss the point of your own claim - when you open, say, a Word document, you are NOT 'looking at the data' any more than when you claim there is no data in the brain. I have literally looked at a hard drive, and I see no data at all. I see a metal disc of some sort.
When I look at a brain (which I have, many times) I see nervous tissue, but no data.

But I know that data is stored in the brain via circuits of neurons. Didn't you know that?

Last edited:

tas8831

That is interesting. I wonder where my memories are stored then if not the brain? The brain seems the most logical place.

You get hit on the head. You suffer amnesia. Seems like the forgotten memories (data) are stored in what got hit.

You drink too much and that effects many things associated with cognition.

A rod gets driven through the brain and that persons personality is radically altered.

It seems like the brain is the best candidate for where data is stored in those things that have brains.
Seems so straightforward. Yet, it doesn't prop up the narrative of those that do not have a basic understanding how the brain works, so...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The information resides in us, the spirit, that controls the body, not in the brain. That is where the Savant Principal comes from.
What does resides in us mean? Is the brain not in us? What is this spirit and how do you know it exists? I am guessing you meant principle and not some sort of highly educated education administrator. Google wasn't any help either.

What if it is the brain that houses the us that controls the body and stores data? Why would the eyes, ears, tongue and nose (our main information gathering peripherals) be so close to the brain?

How do you explain changes in cognition and personality that can be directly associated with trauma to the brain? Do you just shut out that information and stick with your belief that you cannot demonstrate? That seems closed-spirited.

Lekatt

Premium Member
What does resides in us mean? Is the brain not in us? What is this spirit and how do you know it exists? I am guessing you meant principle and not some sort of highly educated education administrator. Google wasn't any help either.

What if it is the brain that houses the us that controls the body and stores data? Why would the eyes, ears, tongue and nose (our main information gathering peripherals) be so close to the brain?

How do you explain changes in cognition and personality that can be directly associated with trauma to the brain? Do you just shut out that information and stick with your belief that you cannot demonstrate? That seems closed-spirited.

The brain is an interface between us and the body. No we are not our bodies. We wear bodies in order to live and maneuver in the physical realms. We are pure energy. In our intrinsic form we can not be seen or heard in the physical. Most people call this the Spirit. You could call it the Soul, Vitality, or many other names. Most of the people living in this world believe in their spiritual form and that there is an afterlife. Only a small percentage don't. A small percentage of people still believe the world is flat also.