• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neanderthals Wore Eagle Talons As Jewelry 130,000 Years Ago

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My first thought:
I'm going to laugh really hard if that was just a common, every-day mundane object like a back scratcher. Or maybe a butt-scratcher? Or maybe it was strung together and polished to be used as a prehistoric BDSM sex toy? Or maybe not jewelry and some more pragmatic use?
I do seriously question the article when it cites these scientists who question the abstract thought of the Neanderthal, as having what seems to be ceremonial burials is a very strong indication of abstract thought.
But, then again, it is Yahoo news, which most definitely does not produce very good news.

shawn001

My first thought:
I'm going to laugh really hard if that was just a common, every-day mundane object like a back scratcher. Or maybe a butt-scratcher? Or maybe it was strung together and polished to be used as a prehistoric BDSM sex toy? Or maybe not jewelry and some more pragmatic use?
I do seriously question the article when it cites these scientists who question the abstract thought of the Neanderthal, as having what seems to be ceremonial burials is a very strong indication of abstract thought.
But, then again, it is Yahoo news, which most definitely does not produce very good news.

Its actually Live Science news that yahoo piked up, should have posted the other source.

Neanderthals Wore Eagle Talons As Jewelry 130,000 Years Ago

"I do seriously question the article when it cites these scientists who question the abstract thought of the Neanderthal, as having what seems to be ceremonial burials is a very strong indication of abstract thought."

I am with you here for the most part, but there are some reasons why they might have done the "burials" not so much ceremonially, so they are being cautious. . I think its pretty safe to say they had "abstract thought."

shawn001

I'm still holding out on my idea of pre-historic toys of pleasure and pain.:p

I am looking forward to reading the paper you put forth on the subject. ;)

astudyshowsn.jpg

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The American Bald Eagle is a rare species. I've only seen some few of them in my entire life. Last winter, I spotted a Bald Eagle flying east along the Missouri River near North Kansas City. It was a very majestic and beautiful bird. I could never kill an eagle just so I could wear its claws around my neck. I hope these Neanderthals got these claws off an already dead bird rather than killing the beautiful bird for jewelry.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The American Bald Eagle is a rare species. I've only seen some few of them in my entire life. Last winter, I spotted a Bald Eagle flying east along the Missouri River near North Kansas City. It was a very majestic and beautiful bird. I could never kill an eagle just so I could wear its claws around my neck. I hope these Neanderthals got these claws off an already dead bird rather than killing the beautiful bird for jewelry.
I can see them here quite often. If you're the outdoors type you'll have no problems seeing them.
It's also very unlikely the birds were killed just for the talons, and most likely feathers, meat, and anything else useful was used.

shawn001

I love birds and bald eagles and birds of prey, but all birds and some are extremely smart, crows and parrots to name a few.

Its odd sometimes when you think about around the world what different cultures considered food.

Quite a few Bald Eagles in Homer Alaska. We have a lot here in Oregon as well.

" I could never kill an eagle just so I could wear its claws around my neck. I hope these Neanderthals got these claws off an already dead bird rather than killing the beautiful bird for jewelry."

We have refrigeration for one. You don't have to hunt everyday for your food sources.

Osal

Probably not. Finding a dead bird like that would be rare. I doubt they killed them for meat. Raptor meat isn't very tasty, and better tasting food was easier to come by. Claws aren't shed, either. I also doubt Neanderthals shared our sense of righr and wrong when it came to what they killed and why.