• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natufian Culture in the Middle East

sooda

Veteran Member
Natufian culture | Revolvy

Natufian culture

image-magnify-2.png

The Epipaleolithic Natufian culture ([1]) existed from around 12,000 to 9,500 BC[2][3] or 13,050 to 7,550 BC[4] in the Levant, a region in the Eastern Mediterranean. The culture was unusual in that it supported a sedentary or semi-sedentary population even before the introduction of agriculture. The Natufian communities may be the ancestors of the builders of the first Neolithic settlements of the region, which may have been the earliest in the world. Natufians founded Jericho which may be the oldest city in the world. Some evidence suggests deliberate cultivation of cereals, specifically rye, by the Natufian culture, at Tell Abu Hureyra, the site of earliest evidence of agriculture in the world.[5] The world's oldest evidence of bread-making has been found at Shubayqa 1, a 14,500 year old site in Jordan's northeastern desert.[6] In addition, the oldest known evidence of beer, dating to approximately 13,000 BP, was found at the Raqefet Cave in the Carmel Mountain near Haifa in Israel, in which it was used by the semi-nomadic Natufians for ritual feasting.[7][8]

Generally, though, Natufians exploited wild cereals. Animals hunted included gazelles.[9] According to Christy G. Turner II, there is archaeological and physical anthropological evidence for a relationship between the modern Semitic-speaking populations of the Levant, Persian Gulf and the Natufians.[10]Archaeogenetics have revealed derivation of later (Neolithic to Bronze Age) Levantines primarily from Natufians, besides substantial admixture from Chalcholithic Anatolians.[11]

Dorothy Garrod coined the term Natufian based on her excavations at Shuqba cave (Wadi an-Natuf) located in the western Judean Mountains.

Discovery
220px-Dorothy_Garrod_%28centre%29_1928_Natufian_culture_discovery.jpg

image-magnify-2.png

Dorothy Garrod (centre) discovered the Natufian culture in 1928
The Natufian culture was discovered by British archaeologist Dorothy Garrod during her excavations of Shuqba cave in the Judaean Hills.[12][13] Prior to the 1930s, the majority of archaeological work taking place in British Palestine was biblical archaeology focused on historic periods, and little was known about the region's prehistory. In 1928, Garrod was invited by the British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem (BSAJ) to excavate Shuqba cave, where prehistoric stone tools had been discovered by a French priest named Alexis Mallon four years earlier. She discovered a layer sandwiched between the Upper Palaeolithic and Bronze Age deposits characterised by the presence of microliths. She identified this with the Mesolithic, a transitional period between the Palaeolithic and the Neolithic which was well-represented in Europe but had not yet been found in the Near East.

A year later, when she discovered similar material at el-Wad Terrace, Garrod suggested the name the Natufian culture", after Wadi an-Natuf that ran close to Shuqba. Over the next two decades Garrod found Natufian material at several of her pioneering excavations in the Mount Carmel region, including el-Wad, Kebara and Tabun, as did the French archaeologist René Neuville, firmly establishing the Natufian culture in the regional prehistoric chronology. As early as 1931, both Garrod and Neuville drew attention to the presence of stone sickles in Natufian assemblages and the possibility that this represented a very early agriculture.[13]

image-magnify-2.png

Remains of a wall of a Natufian house
Settlements occur in the woodland belt where oak and Pistacia species dominated. The underbrush of this open woodland was grass with high frequencies of grain. The high mountains of Lebanon and the Anti-Lebanon, the steppe areas of the Negev desert in Israel and Sinai, and the Syro-Arabian desert in the east were much less favoured for Natufian settlement, presumably due to both their lower carrying capacity and the company of other groups of foragers who exploited this region.[28]

The habitations of the Natufian were semi-subterranean, often with a dry-stone foundation. The superstructure was probably made of brushwood. No traces of mudbrick have been found, which became common in the following Pre-Pottery Neolithic A (PPNA). The round houses have a diameter between three and six meters, and they contain a central round or subrectangular fireplace. In Ain Mallaha traces of postholes have been identified. Villages can cover over 1,000 square meters. Smaller settlements have been interpreted by some researchers as camps. Traces of rebuilding in almost all excavated settlements seem to point to a frequent relocation, indicating a temporary abandonment of the settlement. Settlements have been estimated to house 100–150 people, but there are three categories: small, medium, and large, ranging from 15 sq. m to 1,000 sq. m. There are no definite indications of storage facilities.

image-magnify-2.png

The Ain Sakhri lovers. British Museum: 1958,1007.1
The Ain Sakhri lovers, a carved stone object held at the British Museum, is the oldest known depiction of a couple having sex. It was found in the Ain Sakhri cave in the Judean desert.[29]

continued
Natufian culture | Revolvy

sooda

Veteran Member
Material culture
Lithics
The Natufian had a microlithic industry centered on short blades and bladelets. The microburin technique was used. Geometric microliths include lunates, trapezes, and triangles. There are backed blades as well. A special type of retouch (Helwan retouch) is characteristic for the early Natufian. In the late Natufian, the Harif-point, a typical arrowhead made from a regular blade, became common in the Negev. Some scholars use it to define a separate culture, the Harifian.

Sickle blades also appear for the first time in the Natufian lithic industry. The characteristic sickle-gloss shows that they were used to cut the silica-rich stems of cereals, indirectly suggesting the existence of incipient agriculture. Shaft straighteners made of ground stone indicate the practice of archery. There are heavy ground-stone bowl mortars as well.

Art
440px-Lovers_9000BC_british_museum.jpg

sooda

Veteran Member
Topic of discussion?

Looking at Genesis as an allegory for hunter gatherers becoming agrarian.

Adam and offspring as Farmers, a Key to understanding Genesis

"The great majority of the cultivated plants of the world trace their origin to Asia. Out of 640 important cultivated plants, about 500 originated in Southern Asia. In Asia alone we have established five of the principle regions of cultivated plants.... The fifth region of origin in Asia is the Southwestern Asiatic centre and includes Asia Minor, Trans-Caucasia, Iran and Western Turkmenistan. This region is remarkable, first of all, for its richness in numbers of species of wheat resistant to different diseases...There is no doubt that Armenia is the chief home of cultivated wheat. Asia Minor and Trans-Caucasia gave origin to rye which is represented here by a great number of varieties and species....

Our studies show definitely that Asia is not only the home of the majority of modern cultivated plants, but also of our chief domesticated animals such as the cow, the yak, the buffalo, sheep, goat, horse, and pig...The chief home of the cow and other cattle, the Oriental type of horse, the goat and the sheep is specifically Iran....

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Looking at Genesis as an allegory for hunter gatherers becoming agrarian.

Adam and offspring as Farmers, a Key to understanding Genesis

"The great majority of the cultivated plants of the world trace their origin to Asia. Out of 640 important cultivated plants, about 500 originated in Southern Asia. In Asia alone we have established five of the principle regions of cultivated plants.... The fifth region of origin in Asia is the Southwestern Asiatic centre and includes Asia Minor, Trans-Caucasia, Iran and Western Turkmenistan. This region is remarkable, first of all, for its richness in numbers of species of wheat resistant to different diseases...There is no doubt that Armenia is the chief home of cultivated wheat. Asia Minor and Trans-Caucasia gave origin to rye which is represented here by a great number of varieties and species....

Our studies show definitely that Asia is not only the home of the majority of modern cultivated plants, but also of our chief domesticated animals such as the cow, the yak, the buffalo, sheep, goat, horse, and pig...The chief home of the cow and other cattle, the Oriental type of horse, the goat and the sheep is specifically Iran....
Thats long been my interpretation of the Adam and Eve story.

Is this the same culture that built Catal Hoyuk and/or Gobekli Tepe? (Sorry spelling)

sooda

Veteran Member
Thats long been my interpretation of the Adam and Eve story.

Is this the same culture that built Catal Hoyuk and/or Gobekli Tepe? (Sorry spelling)

You did well with that spelling.. I can't even say those words. I'm not sure that Catal Hoyuk and Gobekli Tepe were Natufian .. I think they date to 7500 years BC. Good question.

Maybe the original sin of Adam and Eve was farming.

Once they left the hunter gatherer system they became chained to toiling the land.. The had more children increased the size of their crops to feed the children and so on.

sooda

Veteran Member
Farming boosted the population but chained humans to the land and demanded ceaseless drudgery to plant, tend, harvest and process food — while making us more vulnerable to famine, drought, disease and war.

People who had evolved over eons for one lifestyle were pushed into a different lifestyle ...

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
You did well with that spelling.. I can't even say those words. I'm not sure that Catal Hoyuk and Gobekli Tepe were Natufian .. I think they date to 7500 years BC. Good question.

Maybe the original sin of Adam and Eve was farming.

Once they left the hunter gatherer system they became chained to toiling the land.. The had more children increased the size of their crops to feed the children and so on.
And the tree of knowledge they ate from was the knowedge of farming and settled civilisation. It makes perfect sense as metaphor to me, any way.

David1967

Premium Member
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this. I must admit though that I saw this thread immediately after watching Monty Python's 'The life of Brian ' and the name "Naughtius Maximus" came to mind when I saw the thread title. British humor, gotta love it.:rolleyes:o_O

sooda

Veteran Member
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this. I must admit though that I saw this thread immediately after watching Monty Python's 'The life of Brian ' and the name "Naughtius Maximus" came to mind when I saw the thread title. British humor, gotta love it.:rolleyes:o_O
Have you ever read about dilmun?

sooda

Veteran Member
No, but you have piqued my interest....

Its Bahrain in the Persian Gulf and they have found thousands of clay tablets about business transactions between Dilmun and Mesopotamia.. and, the stories of Babylon like the flood of Gilgamesh and their creation story.

Ellen Brown

This is an amazing amount of information. Thank you. It will take me some time to digest it. I did save your link to my bookmarks.

Ellen Brown

Good.. Its pretty interesting ancient history.

This will help me in my search for what it was like in "Religious Prehistory". My premise has been that Judaism started Islam and Christianity. I had thought that Zoroastrianism was a precursor to Judaism. I don't know much more. Someone told me that Yazidis came before the Zoroastrians.

The earliest texts of the Jewish precursors seems to have happened between 12 and 1600 BCE???

It seems like the Sumerian writing was around 3,000 BCE?

Some Archeologists feel that humans, Homo Sapiens, were around 170,000 years ago. I wonder if the writings of those people were simply not durable enough to remain until modern times? I'll perhaps just write a Science Fiction story about that era and not worry about it?

sooda

Veteran Member
This will help me in my search for what it was like in "Religious Prehistory". My premise has been that Judaism started Islam and Christianity. I had thought that Zoroastrianism was a precursor to Judaism. I don't know much more. Someone told me that Yazidis came before the Zoroastrians.

The earliest texts of the Jewish precursors seems to have happened between 12 and 1600 BCE???

It seems like the Sumerian writing was around 3,000 BCE?

Some Archeologists feel that humans, Homo Sapiens, were around 170,000 years ago. I wonder if the writings of those people were simply not durable enough to remain until modern times? I'll perhaps just write a Science Fiction story about that era and not worry about it?

The earliest Jewish writings were after the Babylonian exile.

I don't know anything about the Yazidi except they have the Peacock Angel and their own myths.

Yazidis - Wikipedia