• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nativity Scenes in Public Places

Ceridwen018

What do you guys think about Nativity Scenes and other religious holiday symbols being present on government property? I read an article in the newspaper saying that nativity scenes were permitted on government property, as long as they didn't have the baby Jesus in them. Personally, I think that that particular bit of legislation is ludicrous--I don't think any of it should be allowed, and to simply ban the baby Jesus is beside the point.

Anyway, what do you all think? Are you ok with religious decorations on government property, (for Christmas, Ramadan, or any of the other celebrations that take place this time of year)?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Actually,

Public lands should be available for ANYONE to put up a religious display, be it Christian, Judaic, Kwanzaic or pagan. Restricting such is against the Constitution. That being said, the government should bear no cost for the erection or removal of the displays. The more the merrier!

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ceridwen018 said:
What do you guys think about Nativity Scenes and other religious holiday symbols being present on government property? I read an article in the newspaper saying that nativity scenes were permitted on government property, as long as they didn't have the baby Jesus in them. Personally, I think that that particular bit of legislation is ludicrous--I don't think any of it should be allowed, and to simply ban the baby Jesus is beside the point.

Anyway, what do you all think? Are you ok with religious decorations on government property, (for Christmas, Ramadan, or any of the other celebrations that take place this time of year)?
I think if one religion is allowed, all should be.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
NetDoc said:
Actually,

Public lands should be available for ANYONE to put up a religious display, be it Christian, Judaic, Kwanzaic or pagan. Restricting such is against the Constitution. That being said, the government should bear no cost for the erection or removal of the displays. The more the merrier!
... exactly!

Deut 13:1

Ceridwen018 said:

As a jew, I don't see how seeing a Christmas tree at a place of work that is predominantly Christian is going to affect me in any way.

Ceridwen018

I think maybe the title is a little confusing. I don't mean public places in general, rather, I mean government property. That means having a Nativity Scene on the front lawn of a public school, or a giant menorah outside the local courthouse.

I agree with you, NetDoc, that people should be allowed to decorate their homes however they like, or to decorate any public places--such as a park or department store, etc.--however they'd like.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
I don't get what the big fuss is. The constitution says there is a seperation of church and state, meaning that there shouldn't be a Church of the United States. It doesn't mean that there's a brick wall between religion and government. In order for the government to function properly it needs religion. I think we should have a nativity scene on every corner.

gnomon

I usually view things like this in a different manner. If a private group lobbies forth for a temporary time slot to put up a display and pays for it themself it really does not bother me. However, I don't think the government should ever spend our taxes on displays of any sort other than postings which are informative in nature as to what the government is doing.

Caveat. I do believe the "public" display of religious symbols should only be reserved to those places which are reserved for public use (parks, libraries, etc.) and not those which are for government function (schools, courthouses).

standing_on_one_foot

Stuff on public land I don't care about, so long as whatever you're doing is legal. However, nativity scenes in public schools (for example) bother me a bit. Even if my school did go to the effort of printing a picture of a menorah and taping it to the wall...

standing_alone

I don't think nativity scenes or any other religious displays should be on government properties. The government should not endorse religion in any kind of way, no matter how insignificant it may appear to be.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I don't think religious symbols of ANY kind should be permitted on government property, or on the property of public, tax-supported schools. I also object to the sale of U.S. postage stamps bearing religious symbols. It is important that government and religioun be kept totally separate.