• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationalism Poll

Do you think of yourself as a Nationalist?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Maybe- it depends

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Laika

Premium Member
I'm having to get used to the idea that there is such a thing as "left-wing nationalism" and that you can be a nationalist whilst also rejecting the racial politics of the far-right. So I am curious whether the trend is to treat nationalism as an exclusively right-wing phenomenon in the modern world and for an anti-nationalism or internationalism to be the more left-wing position. I am not aware of left-wing nationalism being a particularly widespread position.

As it is, I realise Religiousforums.com is a left-liberal echo chamber and the tendency may not to be raise the subject as it could be treated as "political incorrect". So I wanted to see what people's thoughts are on nationalism, whether you believe that nationalism is relevant to the modern world and if it can exist without the strongly negative associations that have developed as a result of the role of extreme nationalism in leading to the Second World War.

[Answered "No" in the Poll as I have been on the side of world government, world revolution and globalisation in the past, so I have a lot of anti-nationalist assumptions to reconsider.]

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm having to get used to the idea that there is such a thing as "left-wing nationalism" and that you can be a nationalist whilst also rejecting the racial politics of the far-right. So I am curious whether the trend is to treat nationalism as an exclusively right-wing phenomenon in the modern world and for an anti-nationalism or internationalism to be the more left-wing position. I am not aware of left-wing nationalism being a particularly widespread position.

As it is, I realise Religiousforums.com is a left-liberal echo chamber and the tendency may not to be raise the subject as it could be treated as "political incorrect". So I wanted to see what people's thoughts are on nationalism, whether you believe that nationalism is relevant to the modern world and if it can exist without the strongly negative associations that have developed as a result of the role of extreme nationalism in leading to the Second World War.

[Answered "No" in the Poll as I have been on the side of world government, world revolution and globalisation in the past, so I have a lot of anti-nationalist assumptions to reconsider.]

The racial politics are from the left.
But that is you guys prob.
My nationalism is for HK which alas is not a nation.

Altfish

Veteran Member
No, I'm embarrassed at what my country does and has done. Don't get me wrong I support the cricket/football teams but I think of myself more from my town (Manchester) than my country and would rather say European than English.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I answered maybe for a particular reason. I think the USA can at some point lead the world spiritually as it did militarily during WWII and the Cold War.

This is not true now, of course, for obvious reasons. We're backward compared to many other nations. But the potential of our ideals is there.

Such "leadership" would not be due to power as it exists today but by honoring and living our ideals.

When? Heaven only knows.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Religiousforums.com is a left-liberal echo chamber

Hardly. There are many Trump party members here if you can call that right wing. And there's one who I would call more of a "neither of the above" curmudgeon (@Revoltingest ) . By the very volume of his posts, he's a "wing" all by himself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hardly. There are many Trump party members here if you can call that right wing. And there's one who I would call more of a "neither of the above" curmudgeon (@Revoltingest ) . By the very volume of his posts, he's a "wing" all by himself.
I agree with Laika.
Of course, there are both left & right posters here.
But one predominates.
The more interesting things I observe can only be discussed privately.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe it's because I grew up with Cold War ideology, but I have a hard time understanding how it came to be that nationalism is viewed as inherently, right wing, racist, and terrible. Outdated for a globally connected age, and a hindrance towards global peace, but the demonizing it gets seems unfair and odd.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'm more libertarian than nationalist but as such I'm against giving any government entity more power than necessary. I don't like the idea of putting that much power in the hands of so few. The more power given to government the greater the opportunity for corruption, IMO.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member

I'm going based on the political compass results. It may have changed since the thread started in 2016, but I think it probably holds true. The Trumpers are small in number but very vocal as its usually the same people.

@Revoltingest is a wing on his own though. When I look up "Libertarian" on RF search I got 11,213 results; Revoltingest makes up 2,483 of them. So that's a measure of his impact. :D

joe1776

Yes, I'm a nationalist. To me it just means putting your country's needs first and maintaining your sovereignty. Nothing to do with hatred or chauvinism.
Assume your country's policy favors your country but would lower the quality of life for the global community --- a position on dealing with climate change for example. Would you support it?

By my definition, a nationalist would support it. I would not. Therefore, although legally I'm an American citizen, I think of myself, first and foremost, as a Global Citizen.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I voted "no", i loath what England* has become. I (we (hubby, kids and I)) did what we could about it when we could, we got out.

*I am British but i don't see the same degradation in Scotland and NI.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Assume your country's policy favors your country but would lower the quality of life for the global community --- a position on dealing with climate change for example. Would you support it?

By my definition, a nationalist would support it. I would not. Therefore, although legally I'm an American citizen, I think of myself, first and foremost, as a Global Citizen.
I'm an environmentalist.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I proudly consider myself as being a right-wing populist American Nationalist!

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
No, I'm embarrassed at what my country does and has done. Don't get me wrong I support the cricket/football teams but I think of myself more from my town (Manchester) than my country and would rather say European than English.

My wife is party of British decent. She's very pretty and proper. I find British accents to be very attractive. Of course, most British music rocks. The English bravely fought against evil Nazism. I also like how England has rejected the E.U. You Brits should be so very proud of being British.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
My wife is party of British decent. She's very pretty and proper. I find British accents to be very attractive. Of course, most British music rocks. The English bravely fought against evil Nazism. I also like how England has rejected the E.U. You Brits should be so very proud of being British.
I agree with it all except the rejection of the EU and the fact that I never mentioned Britain, - note it was England & Wales that rejected the EU not Scotland and Northern Ireland; my town Manchester wanted to remain also.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

The country I live in is Norway, but I don't give a dilly squat about if we are not Norway anymore, as long we can respect all countries in the world, the place called Norway should be safe from elimination or takeover. However, I do care about the people here and want them all the best, just as i care for the people of the rest of the world too.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The country I live in is Norway, but I don't give a dilly squat about if we are not Norway anymore, as long we can respect all countries in the world, the place called Norway should be safe from elimination or takeover. However, I do care about the people here and want them all the best, just as i care for the people of the rest of the world too.

I'm mostly of Scandinavian decent, I find the Nordic race to be highly intelligent as well as beautiful. You should be very proud to be Norwegian.

hqdefault.jpg