• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NaNoWriMo 2020

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year?

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month (though has long since become an international thing), which is a 30-day challenge during November of every year to write an average-length novel (50k words).

I'm dusting off last year's project in hopes of finishing it this year.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never done it myself, but I hope you can complete your tale :)

Are you able to discuss what you were working on? I get really discouraged when I try to write prose for an extended period, I just feel like "what the heck is this, what the heck am I even doing?", and it seems really hard to get past this, and I admire a lot how professional authors seem to be able to write (or their ghostwriters anyway), all sorts of (probably rubbish) writing and prose that I'd just want to hurt myself looking at.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month (though has long since become an international thing), which is a 30-day challenge during November of every year to write an average-length novel (50k words).

I made a half attempt at it two years back, and have the novel from that about half done...lol

Gargovic Malkav

Good luck with your novel:). What kind of genres are you into? I like the idea of writing stories but find it hard to muster the patience and inspiration to write a proper one.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like to write short stories. Writing a novel makes my arm hurt. Lol

Can't imagine writing War and Peace. Huge admiration for novelists. Best of luck!

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the idea of writing stories but find it hard to muster the patience and inspiration to write a proper one.
I'm with you on that. I plan and plot and plan and plot but when I sit down to get some work done, nothing really flows out. So last year I decided to just "go with the flow", or to "pants" if you're familiar with writing terminology and to my sheer amazement, I wrote around 36k. I figured I would continue after November, but eventually lost the steam.
What kind of genres are you into?
I'm into mainstream fiction, school stories and fantasy, but not really the heavy kind of fantasy where there's a fictional word for every second object. More urban fantasy stuff.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I found novel writing easier when I did it by hand and then painstakingly copied it onto a word processor. That way I'd write in small chunks so I wouldn't have to copy lots, and it would come out in sort of spurts instead of me trying to spit it out all at once. I write in exercise books, notebooks etc. and then edit as needed on my pc. Eventually I reach around 30-40k words and with some good editing I can push it to 50k+.

Back when I was at college (high school) I did most of my writing between classes, during free periods. I'd also find myself writing a lot at night/early morning. Light background music helps, without lyrics. I mostly stopped novel writing for a while because it can really burn you out, as others have mentioned; I may have another go though.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I can show you a sample of mine, but you wouldn't be able to read...because it's in Hebrew...:sweatsmile:

Since we can't read it, want to share what's it's generally about? I'm continually impressed by people who can prolifically write, and people who are multilingual. :)

Gargovic Malkav

I found novel writing easier when I did it by hand and then painstakingly copied it onto a word processor. That way I'd write in small chunks so I wouldn't have to copy lots, and it would come out in sort of spurts instead of me trying to spit it out all at once. I write in exercise books, notebooks etc. and then edit as needed on my pc. Eventually I reach around 30-40k words and with some good editing I can push it to 50k+.

Back when I was at college (high school) I did most of my writing between classes, during free periods. I'd also find myself writing a lot at night/early morning. Light background music helps, without lyrics. I mostly stopped novel writing for a while because it can really burn you out, as others have mentioned; I may have another go though.

What kind of stories did you write?

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Ugh, man I've tried so hard and failed with that so many times. Someday maybe, lol.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Since we can't read it, want to share what's it's generally about?
Are you able to discuss what you were working on?
Here's the summary I wrote in English:
Yair is a Mashak Dat, a religious coordinator in the IDF's Rabbinate Corps, serving in the brand-new 123rd Battalion on the Jordan River's East Bank. He hates it. The guys in the unit are mostly okay, but the officers are bullying jerks, especially his personal officer, the unit's Military Rabbi, who's cold, distant, and truthfully, doesn't really know what he's doing. Yair feels that he's on constant survival mode, just waiting for his service to be over. Then tragedy strikes the unit, and Yair is forced to join forces with his hated officer to help the battalion pull through a rough period.

It's very very very loosely-based on my own experiences in the army and those of some of my friends, but I invented a fictional unit, fictional base and it's set a few years in our future, just to make the background of the story seem plausible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've thought about what makes a successful writer.
I have all the qualities to be a great....except for
insight, understanding people, dedication, interest,
connection, flair, intelligence, creativity, & bravery.