• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name that Bomb

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The story headline is a bit wrong but it's mostly Americans. And putting slogans on bombs is an old military tradition now being used for fundraising

Americans are paying for slogans on bombs aimed at Russians

Capture.PNG

The most prominent crowdfunding group — Sign My Rocket — started by selling messages on Soviet-made 82mm caliber mortar rounds for $30 each. But eventually co-founder Anton Sokolenko realized if it sold messages on more powerful weapons, benefactors from the United States, Britain, Germany, Canada, Switzerland and elsewhere would pay even more.

“We got bigger and bigger shells,” Sokolenko said in an interview from his home in Cherkasy, a city in central Ukraine. “Ninety-five percent of the orders are in English and most are from the United States.”
One foreign diplomat in Kyiv said the scene of Ukrainian forces drawing ever more irreverent slogans on munitions recalled the 19th century oil painting “Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks.” In the painting, Cossacks from what is now modern day Ukraine huddled around a table writing out a letter of ever more offensive insults toward the Ottoman sultan who sought their allegiance.

PureX

Veteran Member
Shouldn't the slogans be written in Russian? Or at least Ukrainian? Americans are such idiots!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Shouldn't the slogans be written in Russian? Or at least Ukrainian? Americans are such idiots!
You clearly did not read the article. Pictures are taken of the slogan on a bomb and sent to the donors.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
You clearly did not read the article. Pictures are taken of the slogan on a bomb and sent to the donors.

Makes sense.......Because, think about it...how likely is it that the folks it is being fired at, or dropped on, are going to have the chance to read it

PureX

Veteran Member
To make them feel good about buying bombs to be used to kill Russians.

I understand buying the bombs. Sometimes, in life, these horrible things have to be done. I do not understand reveling in or glorifying ourselves or each other for doing it. Traditionally, when soldiers would paint slogans on munitions, it was an expression of their own personal feelings: like "this bomb is for killing Billy!", or, "take this you murdering scum!", etc.,. Pretty weird, but at least understandable. Though it still seems like it should have been written in the enemies script.

PureX

Veteran Member
Makes sense.......Because, think about it...how likely is it that the folks it is being fired at, or dropped on, are going to have the chance to read it
True. But still, the gesture should be followed through, don't you think?

Shaul

Premium Member
I wonder if someone will sponsor a bomb message of “Merry Christmas” without understanding the irony of a bomb with a message celebrating the birth of a putative prince of peace.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Write messages on dud bombs, such as - this is just one dud out of 10,000 real bombs you will receive - so are you feeling lucky, punk? :oops: