• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myth vs Religion

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
That is simply preposterous. Some of the most fantastic stuff is today the best documented. For instance it seems pretty fantastic to believe that a whole city can be eradicated in a moment (Sodom and Gomorrah) however current history records Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I don't see anything wrong with taking myths literally after all we have evolution theory which is basically current mythology (making up a story to explain what is current as though the stories actually hapened).

I am sure there are many stories about people for whom we do not have a contemporary record. However those stories are all we have to indicate that such persons may have existed. Myth is simply history that can't be verified.

I think some people equate myth with fiction but there is no evidence to support that view. I think the line between myth and fiction often is a difficult one to detect. Homer's writing about the Trojan war seemed like fiction to many people until the city of Troy was actually found.

No see I don't make the claim that myth is history at all. Myth can just be a symbolic narrative with a spiritual meaning behind it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That is simply preposterous. Some of the most fantastic stuff is today the best documented. For instance it seems pretty fantastic to believe that a whole city can be eradicated in a moment (Sodom and Gomorrah) however current history records Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Talking snakes getting the first two humans kicked out of a magical garden for eating a forbidden magical fruit, as a consequence for the woman eating that forbidden magical fruit there is pain and discomfort.

That's fantastical.
That's not historical.
That's not documented.
That's preposterous.

Stories such as Sodom and Gomorrah and Troy are stories. These stories mayt have some basis in the world being from real places, but they are still turned into myths: adding angels and an angry deity, prophets and women turning into salt, when the chances are, if they existed, they were probably wealthy cities that were destroyed by some naturalistic method (earthquake, volcano, meteor shower, anything else) and this was seen as punishment for their corruption, which over time the story as to why they were punished got lost, and so they guessed it must have been something they saw as bad, and since they saw homosexuality as bad, that must have been it.

Which seems more likely?

Or are you claiming that God uses nuclear weapons to annihilate societies based on sins, or something else?

I don't see anything wrong with taking myths literally after all we have evolution theory which is basically current mythology (making up a story to explain what is current as though the stories actually hapened).
Not quite. Evolution has been observed. See the London underground mosquito, for example. :)

I think some people equate myth with fiction but there is no evidence to support that view. I think the line between myth and fiction often is a difficult one to detect. Homer's writing about the Trojan war seemed like fiction to many people until the city of Troy was actually found.

So you have no issues with Zeus overthrowing his father and being unfaithful to his wife-sister, and decided that he would lower the population of the earth?

Or more likely, do you take it as a story that--if it actually happened--there was a violent war at the time that did a lot of damage and claimed a lot of lives and stories of the gods' involvement and such were added to it, making lessons that can be learnt from the stories?

Do you take the stories of the war in Hindu stories of gods flying in the sky, for example, as literal or mythological, possibly describing violent wars that over time became more and more magical, exaggerated, and so on?

openyourmind

Every the that starts at 1 came from 0. The men of heart search for the begining and find god at the begining of creation. The men of mind search for the begining and find the bang and thier begining. But then those men of mind what to know what was before it. They searched for an answer to where we start and it was shown to them and even that is not enough. If the bang was the creation of all. If that is who god is and he should you him in the image you wanted to see you and still didn't accept that what else is there to know. If the bang started us what started the bang and then what started that bang and that bang and the angst on the mind will never cease and we will always struggle to have answer we can't know. If you believe in god and continue to question all the answers he give you then you come to he created you but who created him and who created him and the mind again is angst. For 1 always starts from 0. You will always be troubled until you yourself have chosen what to accept and Love the life you have.