• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My summary of religious beliefs

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Also from what I read on the New Testament, God to me resembles incarnation of Dao from Daoism, in fact in the Bible the "word of God" is translated as "Dao", and "the Word was God"

Here is the Character for "Dao" (as in Daoism's "Dao"): 道
And this one is "God": 神

And here is John 1:1 in Chinese

太初有道,
道与神同在,
道就是神

To me this is almost very mysterious and it sounds like it can come from the Taoism book!
I really like to look at the Chinese view of different scriptures. They bring out different things from scriptures than other interpretations. For instance, I probably would not have realized that the Four Sublime States were contained in the Kalama Sutta if I hadn't looked at a translation into English that was done by Chinese scholars.

Question: do you think the Chinese translators of John 1:1 were equating "God" with Daoist 'Wuji" and "The Word" as Daoist "Taiji?"

I would really be interested in your opinion. :)

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Religious Forums! :)

I really like to look at the Chinese view of different scriptures. They bring out different things from scriptures than other interpretations. For instance, I probably would not have realized that the Four Sublime States were contained in the Kalama Sutta if I hadn't looked at a translation into English that was done by Chinese scholars.

Question: do you think the Chinese translators of John 1:1 were equating "God" with Daoist 'Wuji" and "The Word" as Daoist "Taiji?"

I would really be interested in your opinion. :)

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Religious Forums! :)

I heard that the first person who made modern translation of Bible is a Catholic scholar from Europe. I am not a Christian and my expertise is not in History (my studies are in commerce and trade) so I am not sure, though. But I know that one Bible I have seen uses "dao" for word.

Because he is a Westerner, he may have knowledge of the Greek and Roman Philosophy. And also many Westnerners worked in the Emperor's palace so they have exposure to Chinese philosophy and morals. From these two maybe the Westerners understood "dao" to be the same as the ancient word of "word" according to Greeks or Romans.

crossfire

Premium Member
I heard that the first person who made modern translation of Bible is a Catholic scholar from Europe. I am not a Christian and my expertise is not in History (my studies are in commerce and trade) so I am not sure, though. But I know that one Bible I have seen uses "dao" for word.

Because he is a Westerner, he may have knowledge of the Greek and Roman Philosophy. And also many Westnerners worked in the Emperor's palace so they have exposure to Chinese philosophy and morals. From these two maybe the Westerners understood "dao" to be the same as the ancient word of "word" according to Greeks or Romans.
Like when the Buddhists came to China, and the scholars tried to equate Buddhist "emptiness" with Daoist "void?" They are not the same, but you get this interesting interplay between the two concepts that is almost like a Zen koan.

islam abduallah

I do not think Islam treat men and women equally. Men are allowed 4 wives, women only 1 husband. And women must covered their heads, be obedient to husbands/father. This kind is not equality.

equality not means identically simply because men and women are not identical in creation, for example women can get pregnant but men not and so Allah excused women from praying after delivering the baby because she needs to rest but men don't have such excuse in your opinion that breaks the equality and men has the right to complain? in my opinion no because it's a consequence to the nature of creation for each sex,
Also, Islam seems very violent. Every day we can read the newspaper reporting on the terrorists who are always Muslims.

let's not consider this sentence as a fact, if you have a time would you please watch this video to know about Islam's opinion about terrorism
[youtube]JGjLHQl2wGQ[/youtube]
Jihad On Terror (With Arabic) - YouTube
I do not think I could accept such kind of religion.
sorry if you get my comment that i'm telling you to be a Muslim, i don't mean that i was just expressing the points you agree and disagree with what i believe in :) not to invite you to it

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Do you want to be part of a religion and think of why you want that!

If you chose your own beliefs, you can have more freedom. Religions sometimes are not flexible because often it's fixed and doesn't update with new information or present times. It doesn't matter if there's no name to it, if it important to you.

I'm trying at present to make my own beliefs by putting my own ideas and things I like from various religions together. I'm going to test practises that sounds good to me and if it feels right then I'm going to add it to my belief. For example, I like to meditate so that is something I added. I'll try out having a shrine soon and see if I like that.

But if you have a need for community, discipline and set beliefs then I understand that too! Perhaps you could look into unitarian universalism or some form of liberal Christianity. I don't know what is available in China so advice is a little hard but you sound really sensible and liberal so I think a religion that has rigid beliefs wouldn't suit you.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you chose your own beliefs, you can have more freedom. Religions sometimes are not flexible because often it's fixed and doesn't update with new information or present times. It doesn't matter if there's no name to it, if it important to you.

I'm trying at present to make my own beliefs by putting my own ideas and things I like from various religions together. I'm going to test practises that sounds good to me and if it feels right then I'm going to add it to my belief.

:clap:clap:clap

It's probably clear by now that's where I'm at. Sure, it's cherry-picking, but in the way distant past many religions got their start by people cherry-picking and adapting compatible tenets from other religions. I really have no idea what I should be called, selecting what I think are compatible elements of Hinduism, Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism itself and even a smattering of religious Confucianism, not to mention Jesuism (which is primarily espoused in The Jefferson Bible). Label = "Confused"? No, not at all. Label = "What Works For Me". :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Here is my list of 10 religious beliefs. Based on this what does my religion sound closest to?

Can someone give me the guidance on what religion I can take for finding a path which is suits me?

List is below:

1) I greatly respect the words of Jesus Christ, and I also share Buddhist philosophy's belief on causalities of action/retribution (not sure what the English name, in Chinese: 業因果報)

2) For me, "God", which also guide people, represent the supreme power of the universe and is both within and outside of all that exists in reality.

3) For me justice is important. Justice is very important. I think God wants human beings just and kind each other.

4) I believe that God created the universe, but the creative process may look like a "big bang". (Actually I am not too sure about the creation)

5) I believe man and woman are equal.

6) I believe evil is resulted from both do not listen to God, and also because of human's ego which lead to greed, hatred and violence.

7) I believe all living thing have a spirit.

8) To have a good heart is better than being a strict person. Living a simple life is better than living with excesses.

9) I do not regard homosexual as "sinners" like some Islamic religion.

10) I belief in non violent, and world peace.

Not sure if I left something out but this is all I could thought at the moment. Please ask me questions if you do not understand or I should say more.

I think that is an excellent list that few could argue with.
I also note that you have looked up Unitarianism.
And Christian Unitarianism in particular.

This is a branch of Christianity not accepted by many today as it has no Dogma.
So does not support belief in the Trinity.
Welcome to The Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland
The above link takes to to a church in Ireland that was built on land given by my great grandfather. ( This page covers their ethos.)

If you click on the "our faith" tab, you will see how short and to the point it is.
Unfortunately these particular churches are only found in Ireland. But are very similar to all "Christian Unitarian" churches.

My own "compromise" is to attend "Anglican" church, but hold very unitarian beliefs.

What's interesting is that, despite the wide variety of beliefs, many people here have recommended their own religions to the OP.

I would say that the OP is a secular humanist or a deist.

dust1n

Zindīq
See Tao Te Ching 1. "Word" (Logos) is much like the "Named," or the manifestation of the Tao.
The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

Right... but in Christian theology, the Dao can be named. It's God. Nothing precedes. Snipet 4 indicates that the Tao precedes God.

dust1n

Zindīq
Just so you know I try to avoid hearing the news media in my country. It is all lies and propaganda, ultimately to promote patriotism and nationalism. Because of this they can never promote any truth but only deceptions and falsehood.

Instead I got news from CNN, NYTimes and also honorable European medias like BBC, Der Speigel, France24 and others. Some oversea Chinese media are acceptable as well in particular is New Tang Dynasty TV station which is viewable from YouTube (but you need a special program to go around the Internet censorship filter)

So I am not just talking propaganda but some things which are confirmed in the whole world.

Sorry to say it, but those Western news outlets aren't the most outstanding in being unbiased, particularly against Islamic sentiments. The Middle East is mostly comprised of peaceful people who do not wish to bother anyone.

crossfire

Premium Member
Right... but in Christian theology, the Dao can be named. It's God. Nothing precedes. Snipet 4 indicates that the Tao precedes God.
Hence my question about Wuji (The infinite) and Taiji (The supreme ultimate.) The Neo-Confucians say that Taiji is God.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Then again, what you say about the wives is accurate and its in the Qran for what I know, which is one of the reasons I wouldnt advice Islam

I also heard about jews and christians having many wives. That's in the Bible too, like in the Qu'ran.

It's not because something is permitted that means it's an obligation.
The reason why it was permitted, it's to avoid to let women alone (for exemple widows), to avoid illegitimate children, and extra-marital affairs.

No one in my familly have more than one wife.

Originally Posted by PassionFruit53
Instead I got news from CNN, NYTimes and also honorable European medias like BBC, Der Speigel, France24 and others.
So I am not just talking propaganda but some things which are confirmed in the whole world.
France 24 is pro-arab. They also have a channel in arabic, and they don't portay muslim people always as "terrorists". They do many good documentaries.

Anyway, i suggest you to read the Qu'ran because you seems to know nothing about this religion which is close to Judaism and Christianity, more than you think.
(i'm not telling you this to convert in Islam, just to be informed)
I hope you'll find your way.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I do not think Islam treat men and women equally. Men are allowed 4 wives, women only 1 husband. And women must covered their heads, be obedient to husbands/father. This kind is not equality.

Also, Islam seems very violent. Every day we can read the newspaper reporting on the terrorists who are always Muslims.

Peace be on you. Nihow.

1-Holy Prophet of Islam encouraged his followers to study physical knowledge too, even if they have to go as far as China. He loved Chinese people too. Please consider the return of love too.

2-Please do not judge any religion in the time when followers have gone weak. In real Islam, the paradise is called to be (metaphorically) under the feet of mother (of course the pious one), giving best treatment to wife and daughter is blessed.

3-Before Islam, men could marry unlimited wives without any rights. Islam curbed it and put limit on it. It is permission not compulsory. For example, after two great world wars when many men died, women outnumbered men, such permissions could have saved the honour of women. Practically, majority of Muslim men marry one lady.

4-Please consider peaceful promised reforms by Ahmadiyya Community, they believe that it is same reformation which Holy Prophet of Islam had promised in latter days [islamDOTcn/ChineseDOThtm]- Please read and pray. God will guide you, what to do. The reformer's ancestors were Farsi rooted in central asia and China.

Good wishes.

Last edited:

loverOfTruth

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...es/138374-do-you-believe-islam-fair-just.html

and

The Simple Message of GOD

should clarify some of your misconceptions regarding Islam (if you are interested).