• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My summary of religious beliefs

Here is my list of 10 religious beliefs. Based on this what does my religion sound closest to?

Can someone give me the guidance on what religion I can take for finding a path which is suits me?

List is below:

1) I greatly respect the words of Jesus Christ, and I also share Buddhist philosophy's belief on causalities of action/retribution (not sure what the English name, in Chinese: 業因果報)

2) For me, "God", which also guide people, represent the supreme power of the universe and is both within and outside of all that exists in reality.

3) For me justice is important. Justice is very important. I think God wants human beings just and kind each other.

4) I believe that God created the universe, but the creative process may look like a "big bang". (Actually I am not too sure about the creation)

5) I believe man and woman are equal.

6) I believe evil is resulted from both do not listen to God, and also because of human's ego which lead to greed, hatred and violence.

7) I believe all living thing have a spirit.

8) To have a good heart is better than being a strict person. Living a simple life is better than living with excesses.

9) I do not regard homosexual as "sinners" like some Islamic religion.

10) I belief in non violent, and world peace.

Not sure if I left something out but this is all I could thought at the moment. Please ask me questions if you do not understand or I should say more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd say that you fit in with Unitarians, although I wouldn't call "Unitarian" a religion per se.
It's more a group with diverse backgrounds which fit your description.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Except for a more active role God plays in your beliefs, I'd call it Deism. In Deism, God is usally not concerned with the affairs of the universe. God simply set the laws of the universe in motion and let it run, much like a watchmaker who makes a watch, winds it up and lets it run on its own. But God's non-involvement in the universe's affairs is not a pre-requisite for Deism.

Karma is probably the word you're thinking of for cause and effect, retribution or reward (through cosmic laws, not punishment from an angry God).

Except for a more active role God plays in your beliefs, I'd call it Deism. In Deism, God is usally not concerned with the affairs of the universe. God simply set the laws of the universe in motion and let it run, much like a watchmaker who makes a watch, winds it up and lets it run on its own. But God's non-involvement in the universe's affairs is not a pre-requisite for Deism.

Karma is probably the word you're thinking of for cause and effect, retribution or reward (through cosmic laws, not punishment from an angry God).

I think God still can control people's lives, and will only intervention at the very minimum, unless if absolutely necessary. For example, to saved a good person from a terrible fate. Or to help inspire people, through dreams for instance.

Also from what I read on the New Testament, God to me resembles incarnation of Dao from Daoism, in fact in the Bible the "word of God" is translated as "Dao", and "the Word was God"

Here is the Character for "Dao" (as in Daoism's "Dao"): 道
And this one is "God": 神

And here is John 1:1 in Chinese

太初有道,
道与神同在,
道就是神

To me this is almost very mysterious and it sounds like it can come from the Taoism book!

Otherwise, I agreed that, God created the "karma", and allow it to run itself.

I'd say that you fit in with Unitarians, although I wouldn't call "Unitarian" a religion per se.
It's more a group with diverse backgrounds which fit your description.

I read in English Wikipedia these points on Unitarian (Chinese is too short and not enough info):

• One God and the oneness or unity of God.
  • The life and teachings of Jesus Christ constitute the exemplar model for living one's own life.
  • Reason, rational thought, science, and philosophy coexist with faith in God.
  • Humans have the ability to exercise free will in a responsible, constructive and ethical manner with the assistance of religion.
  • Human nature in its present condition is neither inherently corrupt nor depraved (see original Sin), but capable of both good and evil, as God intended.
  • No religion can claim an absolute monopoly on the Holy Spirit or theological truth.
  • Though the authors of the Bible were inspired by God, they were humans and therefore subject to human error.
  • Traditional doctrines that (they believe) malign God's character or veil the true nature and mission of Jesus Christ, such as the doctrines of predestination, eternal damnation, and the vicarious sacrifice or satisfaction theory of the Atonement are rejected.[53]

I have to say that mostly it seems to be sensible to me, especially 2, 3 and 4.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think God still can control people's lives, and will only intervention at the very minimum, unless if absolutely necessary. For example, to saved a good person from a terrible fate. Or to help inspire people, through dreams for instance.

:yes:

Also from what I read on the New Testament, God to me resembles incarnation of Dao from Daoism, in fact in the Bible the "word of God" is translated as "Dao", and "the Word was God"

太初有道,
道与神同在,
道就是神

To me this is almost very mysterious and it sounds like it can come from the Taoism book!

Otherwise, I agreed that, God created the "karma", and allow it to run itself.

You will find that many people believe that much of early Christianity was heavily influenced by the eastern philosophies. Whether Jesus went to the east or not is debated, and usually dismissed. It's wishful thinking on my part that he did, because so much of what he said sounds very eastern. But there was much trade between the Roman Empire in the far west and China in the far east, over the Silk Roads. A lot of philosophy and concepts traveled with the silk, spices and other goods. Not everyne believes this, but I do.

There is also a passage in the Rig Veda (I can't think of it now, someone else will know) that is eerily similar to John 1:1. Or rather, John 1:1 is eerily similar to the Rig Veda, with the RV being far older. The Rig Veda was composed about 3,000 BCE, the gospels, around 100 CE. And considering how long people have been traveling around and talking to (and conquering) each other there was plenty of time for eastern thought to influence the west.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think you would be happy in liberal Christians, Sikhs, or Hindus would be ideal for you. You would also be happy in Unitarianism, Unitarian Universalism, or with "Spiritual Deism". :)

I think you would be happy in liberal Christians, Sikhs, or Hindus would be ideal for you. You would also be happy in Unitarianism, Unitarian Universalism, or with "Spiritual Deism". :)

That is good to know! Now I am most interested in Christianity, but there are many strange concept, it seems.

Unfortunately the government here controlled any religious expression. Any church which is not approved by the government religion brureaus, or which does not have a license is illegal. They tend to be more conservative, because the government used of religion continue to control the issues in broader society.

But I think religion and politic should never be mixed.

islam abduallah

Here is my list of 10 religious beliefs. Based on this what does my religion sound closest to?

Can someone give me the guidance on what religion I can take for finding a path which is suits me?

List is below:

1) I greatly respect the words of Jesus Christ, and I also share Buddhist philosophy's belief on causalities of action/retribution (not sure what the English name, in Chinese: 業因果報)

2) For me, "God", which also guide people, represent the supreme power of the universe and is both within and outside of all that exists in reality.

3) For me justice is important. Justice is very important. I think God wants human beings just and kind each other.

4) I believe that God created the universe, but the creative process may look like a "big bang". (Actually I am not too sure about the creation)

5) I believe man and woman are equal.

6) I believe evil is resulted from both do not listen to God, and also because of human's ego which lead to greed, hatred and violence.

7) I believe all living thing have a spirit.

8) To have a good heart is better than being a strict person. Living a simple life is better than living with excesses.

9) I do not regard homosexual as "sinners" like some Islamic religion.

10) I belief in non violent, and world peace.

Not sure if I left something out but this is all I could thought at the moment. Please ask me questions if you do not understand or I should say more.

your belief is close to Islam if we delete point 9

your belief is close to Islam if we delete point 9

I do not think Islam treat men and women equally. Men are allowed 4 wives, women only 1 husband. And women must covered their heads, be obedient to husbands/father. This kind is not equality.

Also, Islam seems very violent. Every day we can read the newspaper reporting on the terrorists who are always Muslims.

I do not think I could accept such kind of religion.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Looked into Christian Deism? Suggestion sorry if it doesn't work :eek:

EDIT: Maybe Pandeism hm

dust1n

Zindīq

太初有道,
道与神同在,
道就是神

This is peculiar.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." James 1:1 KJV

The Tao is like a well:
used but never used up.
It is like the eternal void:
filled with infinite possibilities.

It is hidden but always present.
I don't know who gave birth to it.
It is older than God.

S.Mitchell Translation

- Dao De Ching

It's strange to me how Word was interpreted as the same thing as "Dao."

Welcome to RF.

dust1n

Zindīq
That is good to know! Now I am most interested in Christianity, but there are many strange concept, it seems.

Unfortunately the government here controlled any religious expression. Any church which is not approved by the government religion brureaus, or which does not have a license is illegal. They tend to be more conservative, because the government used of religion continue to control the issues in broader society.

I agree. I wish the best for the Chinese people.

I do not think Islam treat men and women equally. Men are allowed 4 wives, women only 1 husband. And women must covered their heads, be obedient to husbands/father. This kind is not equality.

Also, Islam seems very violent. Every day we can read the newspaper reporting on the terrorists who are always Muslims.

I do not think I could accept such kind of religion.

I wouldn't suggest Islam as a religion or anything (I actually wouldn't suggest any of them), but don't believe the propaganda regarding Muslims. They are just as peaceful as any other group in the world. Pretty much everyone gets along just find where there is no poverty. Places that are generally exploited by USA and China governments are prone to violence, like North Africa, East Africa. Russia isn't helping anything either.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Strange concepts where? :)

I agree; I don't think religion and politics should be mixed. I think this will begin to change in China in the next 30 years. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

太初有道,
道与神同在,
道就是神

This is peculiar.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." James 1:1 KJV

The Tao is like a well:
used but never used up.
It is like the eternal void:
filled with infinite possibilities.

It is hidden but always present.
I don't know who gave birth to it.
It is older than God.

S.Mitchell Translation

- Dao De Ching

It's strange to me how Word was interpreted as the same thing as "Dao."
See Tao Te Ching 1. "Word" (Logos) is much like the "Named," or the manifestation of the Tao.
The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

I agree. I wish the best for the Chinese people.

I wouldn't suggest Islam as a religion or anything (I actually wouldn't suggest any of them), but don't believe the propaganda regarding Muslims.

Just so you know I try to avoid hearing the news media in my country. It is all lies and propaganda, ultimately to promote patriotism and nationalism. Because of this they can never promote any truth but only deceptions and falsehood.

Instead I got news from CNN, NYTimes and also honorable European medias like BBC, Der Speigel, France24 and others. Some oversea Chinese media are acceptable as well in particular is New Tang Dynasty TV station which is viewable from YouTube (but you need a special program to go around the Internet censorship filter)

So I am not just talking propaganda but some things which are confirmed in the whole world.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Just so you know I try to avoid hearing the news media in my country. It is all lies and propaganda, ultimately to promote patriotism and nationalism. Because of this they can never promote any truth but only deceptions and falsehood.

I thought you are in China... what you are describing sounds like American news media. :D

ArcNinja

Why do you have to align yourself with any religion at all? Just believe what you want to believe and not concern yourself with religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Instead I got news from CNN, NYTimes and also honorable European medias like BBC, Der Speigel, France24 and others. Some oversea Chinese media are acceptable as well in particular is New Tang Dynasty TV station which is viewable from YouTube (but you need a special program to go around the Internet censorship filter)
So I am not just talking propaganda but some things which are confirmed in the whole world.
This sounds good.
I prefer to get my deceptions & propaganda from a variety of different sources too.
Reality likely dwells somewhere between the extremes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you have to align yourself with any religion at all? Just believe what you want to believe and not concern yourself with religion.

That's a good point, and very true. But humans like to put labels on things. Being social animals, we like to belong to groups.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I wouldnt advice islam either, but i think it is fair to notice that even if most terrorist attacks were muslim that doesnt mean most muslims are terrorist. As an example, just because divorced people were always married first doesnt mean all marriages end up in divorce.

Then again, what you say about the wives is accurate and its in the Qran for what I know, which is one of the reasons I wouldnt advice Islam