• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Provacative Story

Elessar

For a school assignment, I wrote a short-story (I will not give many details, as I may wish to publish it eventually later in life :)) within a universe I've created, taking place in the relatively distant future.

The short-story was a mystery about the main character, a human scientist on a Terran colony in another star system, who was attempting to find the identity of a spy, someone working for a terrorist or alien organization and passing information to them, to stop them from framing herself for the crime.

The story was rather short, divided into five chapters and there were only a few full pages per chapter (there was a lot less detail than I wanted). The problem came, however, when my teacher took offense at the main character -

The main character, she was an Israeli, and she was married to a Palestinian woman, also a scientist in the facility. While I admit the story could have been changed, it was a rather crucial part of the story as submitted.

Question - was this story too provocative for a school assignment? Should I have toned it down from such hot topics before submission? I received a C in a class where I got mostly A's and, as a question, should I have changed the entire story to get a better grade, i.e., give the teacher exactly what she wanted?

The paper is long submitted, and high school far behind me, I just was wondering about this today - should I change my submitted, graded work to tailor to a teacher or professor's beliefs or conceptions?

Smoke

Done here.
No. An artist should be true to his art -- even if he's a high school student doing something as an assignment. A teacher of writing should understand that.

Inky

Certainly not. If the teacher graded it down because she was ideologically opposed to some of the themes, that was unprofessional of her. On the other hand, if you really need a good grade on a particular assignment and aren't able or willing to get the teacher investigated for biased grading, I don't think anyone would fault you for doing the practical thing. It's all about choosing your battles.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ellesar,

should I change my submitted, graded work to tailor to a teacher or professor's beliefs or conceptions?

Take that question as insightful; frubals!

Here is the layout:
What is your objective in life?
If you want material wealth and be a slave then you should satisfy what others want.
If your wish to follow Ayn Rand type of individualistic philosopy then do what you want.
If you want to be above both then follow a middle path where a more CONSCIOUS approach is called for; i.e. put things as others want but with your individualistic approach getting through, making ours aware of your total awareness of the situation.
The choice is yours.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

you didn't rip it of the internet and she dare's to complain about it???

if she finds it provocative she would have to give you an even higher grade since you didn't make a book 13 out of a 12

ps
this is ofcourse unless you based your main character on her (teachers don't like to be implyed to be gay)

Elessar

Provocative in the sense of provoking a response, is what I meant

And, no, I didn't base the character off my teacher at all. Passing resemblance, both are ethnically Jewish (my teacher, the character) and both carry their reproductive organs on the inside of the body. Otherwise, there is little or no resemblance between them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Talk with some of the other English or Literature Department professors. Explain that you think your teacher was ideologically biased and show them your story. Ask them their opinion. (They love this sort of controversy).

If you can present your teacher with favorable reviews of your work from others, her bias might become obvious.