• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Problem With the "God Did It" Explanation for the Existence of the Universe

Sententia

you believe your sight has a limit right ?
and your hearing also has a limit right?

why can't you accept that your mind ALSO has a limit ?
we believe GOD IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION

Just like the leprechauns that created god and the unicorns that created the leprechauns and the will-o-wisps that created the unicorns.

Sheesh... don't you get beyond comprehension?

Seriously we can make up just about anything that is unfalsifiable and believe it because just like your eyes can not see ultra violet so too can your mind not conceive of the trolls that made the wisps.

Sententia

God did it, the Bible says it, I believe it, and thats good enough for me.

Yep! To hell with them queers and if a child back talks you then go get your shotgun. Stone them witches and adulterers.

Cause the bible tells me so. Just like a tree planted by the waters.... I... Shall... not.... be.... moved!

Last edited:

Amill

Apikoros
If you don't believe in life after death, of course you have no belief in God.

Not true. Lots of people believe in god without there being an afterlife. Even when I was a deist I didn't believe in an afterlife, I'm sure many others are the same way.

Life has character about it. You're more than a collection of chemical reactions.
If you disagree with this, then I am free to doubt your character.
You're free to doubt people's characters any time you want to. You probably do it without even realizing it.

swillia9

Not sure which preacher you've been listening to, but your statements seem to indicate a Christianity and Bible teaching that I'm not familiar with. And as far a 9/11 is concerned it was not plotted by the Muslim people as a whole, but a group of radicals. Last I checked Islam prohibits the harm of a Christian who, according to the Muslim holy book, are a protected people.

Sententia

No, the rule is that if you want to claim that the cause of the universe has a mind, then you have to argue this on its own merits.

Quite accurate...

Most people will say you think all of this came from nothing? Hah... it came from something which didn't need to come from anything!

I don't think they see the hole in their logic. Which is odd yes? It looks like this:
guatemalaSinkhole.jpg

But they don't seem to be aware. If this universe MUST have come from something with a mind where did that something with a mind come from based on your original point?

*crickets*

:D Good post mate.

Sententia

Not sure which preacher you've been listening to, but your statements seem to indicate a Christianity and Bible teaching that I'm not familiar with. And as far a 9/11 is concerned it was not plotted by the Muslim people as a whole, but a group of radicals. Last I checked Islam prohibits the harm of a Christian who, according to the Muslim holy book, are a protected people.

Aye mate but your ignorant post doesn't have any stipulations does it? Now that your called out you want to back track?

Lets look at your post:

God did it, the Bible says it, I believe it, and thats good enough for me.

You are basically stating what exactly? God is real. Do not question. Gods word is more important then mans. The bible is the word of god. Do not question. You believe it and it doesnt matter what other people think.

You are essentially a radical.

When God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac Abraham didn't think twice. He didn't think about this world or how his wife and children and friends might be affected. He brought his son to some alter and was ready to send him to the afterlife.

Why? -> Heaven.

World Trade Centers + Planes. Why? -> Heaven

I don't care how you can to imagine the next imaginary life as being more important then the real one you live in now. Anything you do that is wrong in this real life but right in your long term imaginary life is wrong. Unjustifiable and immoral.

Perhaps you personally wouldn't go that far but your original post implies there is no need to compare imaginary beliefs with real world beliefs. If your accepted imaginary daddy said it then thats good enough.

Personally I think you haven't really considered what your argument actually means as your exact argument is precisely what suicide bombers probably believe. The difference might be they have the courage to live by their convictions. (In their crazy religious addled insane minds anyways)

I am guessing you might be a bit more reasonable.

swillia9

Well, I'm not about to justify myself to you for my belief's because there is nothing that I can say that is going to change your mind about whatever your going on about. I'm just saying that the whole existence to the universe thingy this is all that matters. Let's keep this board in context of the situation at hand.

Sententia

Well, I'm not about to justify myself to you for my belief's because there is nothing that I can say that is going to change your mind about whatever your going on about. I'm just saying that the whole existence to the universe thingy this is all that matters. Let's keep this board in context of the situation at hand.

1+1 =2 but 2-1 = 3 is out of scope and lets say on topic. :thud:

Out of curiosity which god do you believe created the universe? Yhwh? Odin? Zeus or Gaia?

Which god made everything and who made that god?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
To you perhaps.
But I cannot help but wonder why you would think that posting a bumper sticker slogan would get met with anything other than ridicule.
I mean, would that have worked with your choir?

swillia9

Well the math would be dependent on what base your in. YHWH. YHWH, and HE has always been. HE is the transcendent one outside of time and space and not limited to the ways of mankind, but is intimate enough to send HIS one and only Son to die for all of the humans on planet earth to restore them to the imago dei so that they might not suffer utter destruction and torment. God created science, micro-evolution exist, God is God and I will not defend HIM for who HE is because the very breathe you take is a testament to HIS greatness regardless if you believe in HIM or accept HIM or not. Case closed God is God and you and I are man. HE blows the mind wide open to the point we cannot conceive HIM at times and HE does things like create the universe by the mere spoken word from HIS mouth. This God, this KING OF KINGS, and LORD OF LORDS, the ALMIGHTY ONE, is the universe maker who fashions all things and holds all things together. Unlike other worthless gods, the God of the Bible is the ONLY one who came down to earth and remains by HIS Spirit and promises to come again in the flesh so that every eye will see, and every ear will hear, every tongue confess that YHWH is the one and only true God who is, was, and will forever be. If you cannot grasp that HE is so great, that HE rose from the dead, that HE is totally and madly in love with you and wants to rescue you from your pains and sorrows so that you find a place of comfort and strength in HIM so that you might go on in this life when everything else seems so uncertain the one thing that does not change, has never changed, and will never change is HIM and HIS love. These three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love. I'm perfectly willing to accept that the universe may or may not have been made in a literally 6 twenty-four hour periods, but I still believe that God did it by HIS very word, HIS Word; the Bible that has never changed, says it, I believe the Bible is true and I believe that the God it speaks of is real and I know it in my gut that it is all true. I don't say these things to sound mean and insensitive, I know there are many unanswered questions and that there is evil and that there is suffering in the world, but the divine institution which God created, the Church, is commissioned with the cause to do the best they can to help the poor and needy, and the down trodden. To look after widows in their time of distress and give a home to the orphan. God doesn't just wave HIS hand and solve it all for us, because then mankind would not have freewill to believe or not believe. To serve or not to serve. To love or not to love. God does not require anyone, but HE so much wants and longs to be with everyone. HIS will is not that anyone should perish, but that all would come unto repentance and receive something far greater and better that is more valuable than gold, silver, or precious stones. Something of awe inspiring power that is worth every step and every effort to keep going and moving on through this tough life, not alone, but as the Church with their KING OF KINGS on HIS throne of absolute power and authority who can just speak and it would be so. Are you hearing me!? This God is so much more than we could ever dream or imagine, but man puts in aside to try and find the easy and temporary things that will not last, but God is eternal and never changes. The rewards HE grants are eternal and will never fade. HIS promises are true and never failing. The very babe one can see in a nursery represents the children of God who are totally dependent upon HIM as a babe is dependent on its parents. HE nurtures them and as they grow they become beautiful and strong and powerful.

xanaticus

(...)for all of the humans on planet earth(...)
(...)Unlike other worthless gods, the God of the Bible is the ONLY one who came down to earth(...)
(...)YHWH is the one and only true God who is, was, and will forever be(...)

thinking way of a religious fanatic

what are you doing when you realize that there are other like you who think just the same like you about their god? start a war?!

Soulless

Now you are merely talking in nonsense circles.

Honestly, I am disappointed.
I thought it would take longer before you were reduced to nonsensical circles.

Listen , when you bake a cake does it have eyes like yours ? does can it listen ?can it talk like you ?

man god creation is beyond your imaginations , and a creator can never be like the created thing.;)

Soulless

1+1 =2 but 2-1 = 3 is out of scope and lets say on topic. :thud:

Out of curiosity which god do you believe created the universe? Yhwh? Odin? Zeus or Gaia?

Which god made everything and who made that god?

There is only one god , and there is nothing before him and nothing after him, and god is always out of the circle of creation boundaries. :)

xanaticus

hahaha, you and other like you would like that everyone keep her/his mouth shut and only listen to your preach. fortunately we aren't in the middle ages anymore.

lets see if i can the same like you: man, there isnt any god, he exists only in your imagnation but you are so blind that you cant recognize it
very simple, dont need any proof, i just said it and so it is! :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not true. Lots of people believe in god without there being an afterlife. Even when I was a deist I didn't believe in an afterlife, I'm sure many others are the same way.

So...you believed in life outside the physical existence, and did not include yourself? No wonder your belief in God failed. You left yourself no hope.

You're free to doubt people's characters any time you want to. You probably do it without even realizing it.

And this rebuttal is out of context.

Doubting your character, as you are dependent on your chemistry for your existence, is correct.
Your chemistry controls you.
But if you believe you are more than the sum of your chemistry....
Then you have aspiration to life after death...and you are more likely to be motivated by a morality...leading to a greater life.

But I don't this will help you...you gotta step up for it.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Listen , when you bake a cake does it have eyes like yours ? does can it listen ?can it talk like you ?

man god creation is beyond your imaginations , and a creator can never be like the created thing.;)
The whole "your to stupid to ever comprehend" argument actually diminishes your position.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I find it interesting not that the world or universe is perfect, but rather all the flaws and mishaps that allowed for the perfect conditions for life on earth.
But really, we don't know. It might have been God saying "let there be..." or he might have won an arm wrestling contest and then lit a fart on fire, which is what caused the big bang. Or maybe the "higher power" was some form of a higher being who took household chemicals (to this being anyways) and combined them to make a juvenile yet entertaining explosion.
Really I don't care, especially considering that we don't know, and probably never will.