• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Job - Help!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I found out today that my supervisor hates me and has been trying to get me to quit by making my life there miserable since I started over a year ago. The administration there just had another housekeeper there arrested for something that she was innocent of. She was on her lunch break when the general manager called the police telling them where she was. I am terrified that I am in the line of fire now, I've been saying that I need to get out of there but now I feel that there's more on the line here.

Needless to say, I DON'T want to go in there tomorrow, but I have no other job lined up (though I'm looking like never before).. I don't know what to do! HELP!!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
No, I don't think so. They seem to have this clique going on, and I'm not a part of it. Almost everyone there is related or have known each other since they were in school. I don't know why I'm hated so, my work quality is exceptional, yet they want me out without firing me.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Call an attorney and ask for immediate consultation? See what records you can document in case your manager tries to accuse you of anything fishy, maybe?

Brainstorm with how you can best protect yourself using outside measures. And fwiw, I will send you many good vibes. :hug:

Peace,
Mystic

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Hmmm.... Is Maine an "at-will employment" state? IOW, is the company required to furnish just cause to fire you? I assume you're not on a contract, right?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Yes it is... I'm not on a contract. I would assume that they would need a just cause to fire me, but I don't know for sure.

kadzbiz

We have unfair dismissal laws in Australia with serious repercussions for any employer who breaches these laws. It's been very worthwhile for some who have been unfairly dismissed, I can tell you. Another view, do you really want to work somewhere where people can't stand you? Why not work out some sort of sting and reap the rewards sister? Sexual harrassment??

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
No, if it's truly an "at-will employment" state, they need no cause at all. The only recourse you would have if fired in an at-will setting is if you could prove discrimination of a protected class. Is there a pattern of firing women, for example?

I'm jumping ahead with that question, because that's an expensive and time-consuming process I know you don't want to endure. The best advice I can give is to thoroughly document your activities, especially your positive contributions. Always frame your accomplishments in terms of how the company (and preferably the manager) benefits from your value. I have no idea what your environment is like, but if your work allows interface with customers, try to establish or further your relationship with the most important client if possible. Sometimes clients will go to bat for those they like, and management is hesitant to upset a paying customer. Never delete any notes where management praises something you did (if they happened to send any). Just keep the best trail you can so you can make your case and hope someone in management is rational.

Needless to say, you're already taking the best action by looking for another position. I wish I had better advice. Sorry you have to go through this.

It is soon to be spring time. People are coming out, spending money, and there are jobs to be had.
It is best to follow you instincts. If they have wrongfully accused someone in the past, and succeeded, run away, don't walk.

robtex

Veteran Member
I found out today that my supervisor hates me and has been trying to get me to quit by making my life there miserable since I started over a year ago. The administration there just had another housekeeper there arrested for something that she was innocent of. !

I am assuming if you are a housekeeper you are making just above min wage. Go at the local grocery stores/ fast food places, retail outlets. You can look for a better job after you land one of those jobs. Don't worry about your two weeks. If it is a housekeeping job they aren't going to give you a reference anyway. On your application mark "don't contact current employer."

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Maybe you should just quit... I'm sure you can find a better job, where your boss won't try to get you arrested. :D I'm going to quit my job soon, and then I'm going to not buy food anymore, and only eat what I can mooch off of my parents. :D

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I am assuming if you are a housekeeper you are making just above min wage. Go at the local grocery stores/ fast food places, retail outlets. You can look for a better job after you land one of those jobs. Don't worry about your two weeks. If it is a housekeeping job they aren't going to give you a reference anyway. On your application mark "don't contact current employer."

Isn't not giving a two week notice a huge no-no though? GC, his brother, my father are all telling me not to do that, but my thinking is, they hate me anyway at the hotel and what good would it do me if I got hired, let's say tomorrow?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Isn't not giving a two week notice a huge no-no though?
Yeah, I generally think it's a bad idea. I have the impression you're in a smaller town or an area where word gets around. What I have found is you never know when you'll run into people later on, so it's best not to burn bridges, even if you have to endure for two more weeks. Sometimes if they really want you gone, they'll waive the notice and allow you to go right away.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
This is a small town-ish area, but the city is 15 minutes away, and that's mostly where I'm looking for new jobs.

Actually, I went looking last night, got in a few applications. One of them, a movie place, gave me a mini-interview right there on the spot! I'm very pleased with that, and hopeful

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
...what good would it (proper notice) do me if I got hired, let's say tomorrow?
I overlooked this, but there is potential good: Your prospective employer may get a more favorable impression that you won't just quit your new job without notice and leave them in a pinch. It says something about you to your new employer too.

Glad to hear some promising news!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Well, that's kinda where I am. This job is a sort of limbo for me, it's not going to help me in my future in any way. I'm applying to Grad Schools for secondary teaching education, this job was just meant to be a place holder until I get accepted. But whether I leave it sooner or later, I will be leaving in June. Our lease on the apartment will be up and the owner will be selling the building...

But in the meantime... I want to quit, right now... but I haven't been hired anywhere else yet... and I'm being told two different things about the whole two weeks notice thing...

:sad4:

robtex

Veteran Member
Isn't not giving a two week notice a huge no-no though? GC, his brother, my father are all telling me not to do that, but my thinking is, they hate me anyway at the hotel and what good would it do me if I got hired, let's say tomorrow?

you are not going to get a good reference from a group of people who dislike irregardless of how you leave. You don't owe them anything. Stay as long as you feel you want to but based on your op if you get anything at all I would just not stop showing up immediately. However, generally, in a more healthy employment environment (aka not your environment) giving your 2 weeks is the cool thing to do.