• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must verses of Day of Resurrection be interpreted symbolically?

InvestigateTruth

About 1/3 of verses of
Quran are about Day of Resurrection. (Similarly many in Bible)

Are these verses to be taken like a dream that needs to be interpreted symbolically or they must be taken literally, and exactly as they are described?

Brief elaboration of the OP:

To describe what I mean in Op, I will give an example: In Quran or Bible, there is a story about a dream, described as 7 skinny cows ate 7 fat cows. When this dream was fulfilled, it appeared as 7 years of prosperity followed by 7 years of drought. So, 7 fat cows were the symbol of 7 years of prosperity and 7 skinny cows, were symbols of 7 years of drought.

Are the verses of Day of Resurrection, such as darkening sun, falling stars, rising dead from grave,..etc to be interpreted symbolically? Does the sun, star, sky, dead, have a symbolic meaning just as the fat cow and skinny cow have another meaning?

Why yes, or why no?

Muffled

Jesus in me
About 1/3 of verses of
Quran are about Day of Resurrection. (Similarly many in Bible)

Are these verses to be taken like a dream that needs to be interpreted symbolically or they must be taken literally, and exactly as they are described?

Brief elaboration of the OP:

To describe what I mean in Op, I will give an example: In Quran or Bible, there is a story about a dream, described as 7 skinny cows ate 7 fat cows. When this dream was fulfilled, it appeared as 7 years of prosperity followed by 7 years of drought. So, 7 fat cows were the symbol of 7 years of prosperity and 7 skinny cows, were symbols of 7 years of drought.

Are the verses of Day of Resurrection, such as darkening sun, falling stars, rising dead from grave,..etc to be interpreted symbolically? Does the sun, star, sky, dead, have a symbolic meaning just as the fat cow and skinny cow have another meaning?

Why yes, or why no?

No. I believe there is a great deal of difference between a dream and a vision. I believe one has to look at the context to get some idea of whether it is symbolic or not.

InvestigateTruth

No. I believe there is a great deal of difference between a dream and a vision. I believe one has to look at the context to get some idea of whether it is symbolic or not.
But the examples we see in scriptures about prophecies of future whether dream or vision, are always symbolic.
Example are the visions by Jewish prophet, such as seeing a beast with several heads or crowns, interpreted as kingdoms (see old testament for reference).

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
There is hardly a "must" in religion, at least in countries which are not theocracies. If you want to interpret something symbolically, you can do that, but it is a wrong idea that everybody else "must" follow the interpretation you provide.

InvestigateTruth

There is hardly a "must" in religion, at least in countries which are not theocracies. If you want to interpret something symbolically, you can do that, but it is a wrong idea that everybody else "must" follow the interpretation you provide.
I mean, what is the correct interpretation.