• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must I accept everything?

Huey09

He who struggles with God
I have always thought that if I ever returned to Christianity I would give being an Episcopalian a try but I wonder a few things.

1.) Do I have to accept the trinity? or the virgin birth?
2.) Is confession something that must be done?
3.) What are the stances on homosexuality within the church?
4.) Is everyone else going to hell? Is there a hell?

these are just a few off the top of my head anyone who could answer I'd be in your dept and Huey always pays his debts:D (Game of thrones ftw lol)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have always thought that if I ever returned to Christianity I would give being an Episcopalian a try but I wonder a few things.

these are just a few off the top of my head anyone who could answer I'd be in your dept and Huey always pays his debts:D (Game of thrones ftw lol)

The Anglican/ Episcopalian Church is very broad and insists on very little of its members.
It requires you to be baptised in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit
to take Holy communion.

However any one with any beliefs may attend Anglican worship services.

It requires you to accept the trinity, but unlike the Catholics does not require you to believe in an exact dogma. (I believe in the Father Son and Holy spirit But I am not sure about their exact relationship...)

Our priest wrote last year, that amongst other things, that belief in the virgin birth was not essential.

I have never attended confession, Nor am I required to do so, but it is on offer to any one.
Though confession is to God.. the priest only guides.

Homosexuals are accepted as God's children. Some priests will bless partnerships others will not. Some priests are known to be Gay.

Few Anglicans believe in hell or Hell-fire.

--------------------------------------------------------

Most Anglicans believe that Salvation is available to all, not only for Anglicans or even just Christians. Some like myself believe in universal salvation.

There great differences around the world between various Anglican Churches.
Those in the USA are amongst the most liberal ( they have a female bishop as leader)

Those in Africa are the most backward and conservative, and mostly teach against homosexuality and female priests.
Such things are more Social customs and beliefs than based on current Anglican dogma.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

My answer is no.
I do not believe blind faith is required of any true religion. Looking at it with an open mind, without prejudice is where to start. Then listing, learn question and analyze. From there you decide if you want to accept everything, anything or nothing.

There is a book that I read that says it better than I and if I can find it I will quote it for you here if you like

Huey09

The Anglican/ Episcopalian Church is very broad and insists on very little of its members.
to take Holy communion.
I was baptized when I was 13 years old by my own choice. However I'm not sure my baptist baptism would be recognized.

It requires you to accept the trinity, but unlike the Catholics does not require you to believe in an exact dogma. (I believe in the Father Son and Holy spirit But I am not sure about their exact relationship...)
Soooo I could believe in a figurative sense?

Our priest wrote last year, that amongst other things, that belief in the virgin birth was not essential.
Forgive my wording but damn that's a really progressive way of thinking

I have never attended confession, Nor am I required to do so, but it is on offer to any one.
Could you explain the term "guide" a little more

Do they believe in punishment for bad people. (Examples Hitler,Stalin) or could you go into a little more detail on how you perceive it personally please:help:

Huey09

My answer is no.
I do not believe blind faith is required of any true religion. Looking at it with an open mind, without prejudice is where to start. Then listing, learn question and analyze. From there you decide if you want to accept everything, anything or nothing.

There is a book that I read that says it better than I and if I can find it I will quote it for you here if you like

I like wise words quoted sooo please do:D

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I like wise words quoted sooo please do:D

I shall look for the book.

I should also add that I am of the belief that faith is good but it has to be faith with reason not blind faith.

I do have one that may apply here even though it is a Buddhist source

Reason, in this sense, is founded on belief. If belief is the foundation of life, we don't really have a choice of whether to believe or not. We can choose, however, what to believe, what the substance of our faith will be.

October 2001 SGI Quarterly

Huey09

I shall look for the book.

I should also add that I am of the belief that faith is good but it has to be faith with reason not blind faith.

I do have one that may apply here even though it is a Buddhist source

MIND BLOWN:thud:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I was baptized when I was 13 years old by my own choice. However I'm not sure my baptist baptism would be recognized.

not necessarily. you would need to know how it was done ( which church)
Catholics, Orthodox , methodists and Lutheran are fine but some others are not. (Mormons, unitarian and JW come to mind)

Soooo I could believe in a figurative sense?

When it come down to it we all believe in a figurative sense, I suppose the essentials come down to believing in God, Jesus and the holy Spirit and that there is only one God. How we all come to terms with that, certainly differ.

Forgive my wording but damn that's a really progressive way of thinking.

You would probably like him, he likes to keep things simple and honest.

Could you explain the term "guide" a little more.

most people do not understand confession. there are two main things involved ... to confess our sins and to repent them. an Anglican priest can not forgive your sins ... that is between you and God. But the priest will guide you through the process and do what they can to help you understand.

Do they believe in punishment for bad people. (Examples Hitler,Stalin) or could you go into a little more detail on how you perceive it personally please:help:

We believe that God forgives all those who repent. We are less sure what happens to those who chose not to.

My own view is that sin and corruption can not exist in the face God, and that such souls are wiped clean. Of course every thing that made up such a person would be eliminated with it.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
to take Holy communion.

However any one with any beliefs may attend Anglican worship services.

Homosexuals are accepted as God's children. Some priests will bless partnerships others will not. Some priests are known to be Gay.

--------------------------------------------------------

Most Anglicans believe that Salvation is available to all, not only for Anglicans or even just Christians. Some like myself believe in universal salvation.

There great differences around the world between various Anglican Churches.
Those in the USA are amongst the most liberal ( they have a female bishop as leader)

Those in Africa are the most backward and conservative, and mostly teach against homosexuality and female priests.
Such things are more Social customs and beliefs than based on current Anglican dogma.

This is very helpful to me. I'm meet all those criteria and I have started attending an Anglo-Catholic Episcopal church. But I am also a Gnostic. How would that go over?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This is very helpful to me. I'm meet all those criteria and I have started attending an Anglo-Catholic Episcopal church. But I am also a Gnostic. How would that go over?

The Anglo-catholic end of the Anglican church tend to not allow women priests and are stricter on dogma and sexual matters.
However they have easily the best services.

Some American Anglo-catholic churches are not in communion with Canterbury. meaning they do their own thing.....

nazz

Doubting Thomas
The Anglo-catholic end of the Anglican church tend to not allow women priests and are stricter on dogma and sexual matters.
However they have easily the best services.

Some American Anglo-catholic churches are not in communion with Canterbury. meaning they do their own thing.....

This church seems to openly welcome gay members so they don;t seem to be strcit on that.

But what about accepting Gnostics into the fold?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This church seems to openly welcome gay members so they don;t seem to be strcit on that.

But what about accepting Gnostics into the fold?

Few if any of them ( including priests) will know anything about Gnosticism.
Equally few modern Gnostics have much Idea what those at the time of Christ believed, as it was always a secret and rarefied way of thinking.
If you do not directly attack what they believe, Anglicans will just leave you to it. And Just put you in a category of slightly weird.
If you mention that Mary Magdalene was a gnostic Christian. it will just confirm your weirdness. ( some might even suggest that "no she was not, she was a prostitute":eek: :eek:)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Few if any of them ( including priests) will know anything about Gnosticism.
Equally few modern Gnostics have much Idea what those at the time of Christ believed, as it was always a secret and rarefied way of thinking.
If you do not directly attack what they believe, Anglicans will just leave you to it. And Just put you in a category of slightly weird.
If you mention that Mary Magdalene was a gnostic Christian. it will just confirm your weirdness. ( some might even suggest that "no she was not, she was a prostitute":eek: :eek:)

Good to know. Thanks :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have another question for you terry. Must lent be practiced?

Lent is the period leading up to Easter

Like all events in the Christian calendar it reminds us of the Christian story and the life of Christ. In this case leading up to his death.

Nothing we may chose to do during Lent or any other time is compulsory. However they can be a useful in expanding our understanding to do so.
People do and observe what they are comfortable with. There is no one standing there with a whip to enforce anything.
The choices are your own.

Many churches offer courses and special services during Lent for those who wish to learn from the experience.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?

[/QUOTE

Doesn't this beg the question? If you can't or won't accept all aspects of a given denomination, why bother to join? :shrug:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
[/QUOTE

Doesn't this beg the question? If you can't or won't accept all aspects of a given denomination, why bother to join? :shrug:

The aspects that he questioned were subsidiary to the the established requirements of Anglicanism.

A belief in the Trinity is a basic requirement. However, how you might interpret it is not.

The apostles creed, is the standardised statement of belief used by many churches including Catholics and Anglicans. It is understood to encompass the beliefs of the first apostles......

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen.

This creed makes no attempt to explain or expand on what is meant. Nor does it mention the Trinity .
To day many Christians are unsure what is meant by the words translated as the "virgin Mary"
Few now believe in Heaven or hell as places.

For centuries Christianity has taken a very literalistic and simplistic view of the scriptures. Today we look deeper into the meanings of why, the context and what was meant.
The Anglican Church has a very wide base and has room for many different opinions and styles, It can accommodate them all within it general ministry.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The aspects that he questioned were subsidiary to the the established requirements of Anglicanism.

A belief in the Trinity is a basic requirement. However, how you might interpret it is not.

The apostles creed, is the standardised statement of belief used by many churches including Catholics and Anglicans. It is understood to encompass the beliefs of the first apostles......

This creed makes no attempt to explain or expand on what is meant. Nor does it mention the Trinity .
To day many Christians are unsure what is meant by the words translated as the "virgin Mary"

For centuries Christianity has taken a very literalistic and simplistic view of the scriptures. Today we look deeper into the meanings of why, the context and what was meant.
The Anglican Church has a very wide base and has room for many different opinions and styles, It can accommodate them all within it general ministry.

Not sure of your point, but my question still stands.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

At the Anglo-Catholic church I attend we recite the Nicene Creed.