• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims do not worship the same god as the Christians

ID_Neon

I asked a Muslim if humans need an intercessor between them and God, which a Christian says Christ is the intercessor, and the Muslim said that we do not need an intercession between us and God.

This to me tells me that it is not the same God which these two faiths worship.

I'd like someone to ellaborate on the intercession concerning Islam, but if I'm correct in that simple manner than we cannot possibly be worshipping the same God because the Christian God is necessarily so unfathomable and holy that mankind cannot possibly approach Him. Likewise, such a God is so beyond human comprehension that He cannot directly communicate with us.

I don't want my specific definitions to spark too much debate, I'm not sure how to describe Allah, if no intercession is required, I've not thought what this means for God in terms of a logical argument, is that the "most holy" God possible? Is that the most infallible? The maximally great? etc?

I think that the condition of intercession means the two gods are contradictory thus cannot be the same.

Bob Dixon

>implying
There is only one God in both Christianity and Islam, so how can it be possible for Christians and Muslims to not be worshipping the same God?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It is the same God. Just because one group doesn't believe that they needed a Christ doesn't mean they are different gods, just different ideas of that god. There are many ideas about God, that doesn't mean all these people worship a different god.

ID_Neon

It's possible they are not worshipping the same God because the natures of their Gods are different.

This should be a pretty basic premise, if something is blue and something is red they are not the same color.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It's possible they are not worshipping the same God because the natures of their Gods are different.

This should be a pretty basic premise, if something is blue and something is red they are not the same color.

How is the nature of God in these two view points different? One simply doesn't see a need for Christ. That doesn't mean the nature of God is different

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I asked a Muslim if humans need an intercessor between them and God, which a Christian says Christ is the intercessor, and the Muslim said that we do not need an intercession between us and God.

I'd like someone to ellaborate on the intercession concerning Islam, but if I'm correct in that simple manner than we cannot possibly be worshipping the same God because the Christian God is necessarily so unfathomable and holy that mankind cannot possibly approach Him. Likewise, such a God is so beyond human comprehension that He cannot directly communicate with us.

I don't want my specific definitions to spark too much debate, I'm not sure how to describe Allah, if no intercession is required, I've not thought what this means for God in terms of a logical argument, is that the "most holy" God possible? Is that the most infallible? The maximally great? etc?

I think that the condition of intercession means the two gods are contradictory thus cannot be the same.
Do you think Jews worship the same God as Christians?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
There is only one God in both Christianity and Islam, so how can it be possible for Christians and Muslims to not be worshipping the same God?
Precisely. In fact, I think no religion, including Hinduism, believes there is more than one God and therefore in effect every human being who believes in God is worshiping the same God. Only, different religions express and worship God differently, causing it to seem many Gods are being believed in and worshiped.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

IMO it's the same God, except Christians believe this God can also take human form.
To think that having a different understanding of God means they are different Gods, you are implying that you do or can have a complete understanding of God. If you admit that nobody really understands God's nature, then it is easy to accept that there will be variances in interpretation of the one God.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Be that you worship blue or be that you worship red, you worship light. Just that you are doing so by a different manifestation of it´s nature.

Light is a nice example, because we may see blue and red and white, etc. But there is invisible light to us, this is because it goes out of our range of perception.

Ligh is so much like God. Everyone sees God in a different light after all :D

Scott C.

Just one guy
Do you think Jews worship the same God as Christians?

The Christian, Muslim, and Jewish beliefs concerning the nature of God have similarities and also major differences. As a Latter-day Saint, I'm sometimes told that I worship a different God than non-LDS Christians, even though I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit and believe that salvation is in Christ.

All people are capable of receiving blessings and inspiration from the one true God. If a Jew feels the love of God and recognizes his presence and influence in his life and prays to God, that same God hears his prayers. The fact that this Jew does not recognize that the God to whom he prays sent his Son to earth to atone for sin, does not change the fact that he is indeed praying to that same God. The same holds true for people of any faith.

Having said that, I don't believe that salvation is found in any way except as specified by the New Testament. So, there are many who worship God without knowing important characteristics of God and without having yet found the full and entire path to salvation.

God hears the prayers of all those who approach him in love, faith, and humility, regardless of how they perceive some of his important characteristics. God is that loving and is that merciful.

espo35

Be that you worship blue or be that you worship red, you worship light. Just that you are doing so by a different manifestation of it´s nature.

Light is a nice example, because we may see blue and red and white, etc. But there is invisible light to us, this is because it goes out of our range of perception.

Ligh is so much like God. Everyone sees God in a different light after all :D

Are there colors the human eye cannot see?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maybe one of them is just wrong about the nature of God.

If a person is color blind and doesn't see grass as green, he's still looking at the same grass as a person who sees it as green is.

espo35

There are frequencies of light that the human eye cannot see; whether or not they are colorful, therefore, will forever be unknown to us.

Ah, but the atheists might argue that if the human eye cannot perceive it, it doesn't fit the definition of the word "color" (Tree falling in the forest argument). There would be many threads started on the topic and much wine would be poured.....:)

ID_Neon

The basic premise seems ignored.

If you worship two different natures then they cannot be the same nature. That is a logical incoherence.

Therefore necessarily, right or wrong. Islam and Christianity are not worshipping the same God.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
The basic premise seems ignored.

If you worship two different natures then they cannot be the same nature. That is a logical incoherence.

Therefore necessarily, right or wrong. Islam and Christianity are not worshipping the same God.

You're reaching like Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four! Abrahamic religions all spring from the same source, worshipping the same god. They differ due to the development of different cultures, and those cultures ideas about that god that they developed over time.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

by this logic Christians and Jews also follow different gods. But really, they're all abrahamic in origin and are merely different portrayals and perceptions of the same deity.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Precisely. In fact, I think no religion, including Hinduism, believes there is more than one God and therefore in effect every human being who believes in God is worshiping the same God. Only, different religions express and worship God differently, causing it to seem many Gods are being believed in and worshiped.

Some religions are polytheistic, so no, not all religions believe in only one divine being. Some religions, for that matter, are agnostic, like classical Buddhism.