• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Violent Profession

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"Violence towards nurses and healthcare workers in general has become more common in recent years. Data shows that American healthcare workers now suffer more nonfatal injuries from workplace violence than workers in any other profession, including law enforcement."

“Health care workers don’t even think about that when they decide they want to be a nurse or a doctor. But as far as actual violence goes, statistically, health care is four or five times more dangerous than any other profession,” said Michael D’Angelo, a former police officer who focuses on health care and workplace violence as a security consultant in Florida."

Why Health Care is One of the Nation's Most Violent Fields

I wonder why we have a shortage of qualified nurses, and doctors.......

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
"Violence towards nurses and healthcare workers in general has become more common in recent years. Data shows that American healthcare workers now suffer more nonfatal injuries from workplace violence than workers in any other profession, including law enforcement."

“Health care workers don’t even think about that when they decide they want to be a nurse or a doctor. But as far as actual violence goes, statistically, health care is four or five times more dangerous than any other profession,” said Michael D’Angelo, a former police officer who focuses on health care and workplace violence as a security consultant in Florida."

Why Health Care is One of the Nation's Most Violent Fields

I wonder why we have a shortage of qualified nurses, and doctors.......
It happens.

I worked at a set of group homes for the disabled(ranging from those who could function somewhat in society, to those who were unable to toilet and were tube fed). At another house, a client charged an older employee and sent him into a table, cracking his ribs.

I wouldn't say these are common occurrences, but it wasn't unheard of(though that was by far the worst).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The linked article doesn't make sense.

Excerpted...
Such attacks have helped make health care one of the nation's most violent fields. Data shows American health care workers now suffer more nonfatal injuries from workplace violence than workers in any other profession, including law enforcement.

Note that law enforcement isn't even in
the top 25 most dangerous jobs in USA.

Then the article offers this seeming
contradictory statement....
Other industries outpace health care for overall danger, including deaths.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The linked article doesn't make sense.

Excerpted...
Such attacks have helped make health care one of the nation's most violent fields. Data shows American health care workers now suffer more nonfatal injuries from workplace violence than workers in any other profession, including law enforcement.

Note that law enforcement isn't even in
the top 25 most dangerous jobs in USA.

Then the article offers this seeming
contradictory statement....
Other industries outpace health care for overall danger, including deaths.

I think it's drawing a distinction between physically attacked and injured (ie non-fatal injuries), and others such as law enforcement that are also attacked, but more often killed (ie overall death and danger).

Edit: also your metrics are different. Time is basing 10.2 per 10,000 workers in healthcare. That puts them up there on your chart which is listed at XX per 100,000 workers per profession.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not here to compare danger. You wanna do that make ya own thread, "oh woe is me". This was about the dangers of working in healthcare. Something a significant portion of my family works in.
The point is that the profession isn't all that dangerous.
But no one should be assaulted...on or off the job.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It happens.

I worked at a set of group homes for the disabled(ranging from those who could function somewhat in society, to those who were unable to toilet and were tube fed). At another house, a client charged an older employee and sent him into a table, cracking his ribs.

I wouldn't say these are common occurrences, but it wasn't unheard of(though that was by far the worst).

I worked in a similar field and have gotten knocked around a few times. I remember one guy who could be laughing and smiling one minute, and then he'd start hitting people out of the blue. That was scary, since there were never any triggers or warnings of when it would happen.

I learned a lot about how the human brain works.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I worked in a similar field and have gotten knocked around a few times. I remember one guy who could be laughing and smiling one minute, and then he'd start hitting people out of the blue. That was scary, since there were never any triggers or warnings of when it would happen.

I managed to not get hit at work, but I did get pooped on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Tenants are are another violent bunch.
I even had a commercial tenant assault me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The point is that the profession isn't all that dangerous.
It happens enough even mental health centers have panick buttons amd train employees in very basic self defense, amd even disallow coats and jackets with hoods as a safety measure so it can't be grabbed.
It happens enough employers have to offer hep b vaccines, partly because accidental sticks sometimes happen due to a violent patient.
Also the BLS disagrees with you.
Workplace Violence in Healthcare, 2018 : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
In 2018, the private ownership all-worker incidence rate for nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses involving days away from work resulting from intentional injury by other person in the private healthcare and social assistance industry was 10.4 per 10,000 full-time workers, compared to the all-worker incidence rate of 2.1. The health care and social service industries experience the highest rates of injuries caused by workplace violence and are 5 times as likely to suffer a workplace violence injury than workers overall. Chart 1 shows how the incidence rate for workplace violence to healthcare workers has increased since 2011.
And it's on the rise unless trends reversed. (it's not likely it did)
YearIncidence Rate (per 10,000 full-time workers)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It happens enough even mental health centers have panick buttons amd train employees in very basic self defense, amd even disallow coats and jackets with hoods as a safety measure so it can't be grabbed.
It happens enough employers have to offer hep b vaccines, partly because accidental sticks sometimes happen due to a violent patient.
Also the BLS disagrees with you.
Workplace Violence in Healthcare, 2018 : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

And it's on the rise unless trends reversed. (it's not likely it did)
YearIncidence Rate (per 10,000 full-time workers)
Your link doesn't address other professions.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Your link doesn't address other professions.

Do it yourself in another thread, this one isn't about your specific grievances with cops or the dangers and pitfalls of landscaping land lords.

Hyper fixate elsewhere.

"If you would like to learn more about a specific sub-sector, the online profiles tool will create industry specific profiles detailing demographics, case circumstances, including event, and occupations for each industry"

^ From the BLS link by @Shadow Wolf ^

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I managed to not get hit at work, but I did get pooped on.

The hospital I've been living at for the last few months has roughly 2 or 3 "Safety Support Team" assistance calls daily while I've been there (mind you that's only about 8 out of 24 hours). That team is a specific adaptive response to suicide, homicide and threat.

Several times. Daily. Last week an entire (12 person) police unit was dispatched to the hospital. The staff is understaffed, and undertrained on how to safely handle violent patients.

The health/behavioral care system in the US is in shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.